Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i haven't heard what he's doing now. which one did he take?
    None of them. He left hoop to make real money.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
      None of them. He left hoop to make real money.
      What offers did Nashif have coaching wise?

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        What offers did Nashif have coaching wise?
        I know of two. Both would have been good steps but required him to leave the Y.

Comment

• Comment

• I am wondering if Holmoe locked in Rose because a decision has been made to spend as much of the available resources on football, even if it is to the detriment of the hoops program. Dave is well liked and a fairly popular coach outside of BYU. He has a group of former player/cheap assistants and resources spent in keeping hoops competing could be re-directed. I think part of the reason that the U cratered was that Hill spent as much money as he could, to the detriment of Ute hoops, on football with the dream that it would help the football program to be as competitive as possible and as attractive to a BCS conference as possible.

I know Occams Razor would tell me that for whatever reason Rose has just assumed auto-pilot and is following the path of least resistance- which I think many coaches at BYU end up on that pathway after encountering various difficulties with the admin. Rose had such excitement when he started as I recall him specifically saying "I will never tell my players they could never make the Final 4." Which was a semi-rebuke of Cleveland's occassional being the voice of reality wrt BYU's hoops potential. Now, look at Rose. That excitement and optimism is a relic of what used to be- I think coaching at BYU can do that to you when you experience enough Brandon Davies' missing the tourney and some Russian stud you have lined up to come who is not admitted. I just think coaching at the Y becomes a grind. I get all that and realize Rose has lost his intensity, and I can even empathize with him. I just can't get my mind around an extension at this point in time. Makes no sense, then I had the thought that perhaps BYU knows with Rose and cheap assistants a bunch of good mormon boys who want to be at BYU the hoops program can stay mediocre for another 3 years while the extra AD revenue could be spent on football improvements. Whenever the next beauty contest of inclusion into the beautiful people club will be based far more on football than any other sport. Further, rebuilding hoops is much easier than rebuilding football - remember how my picking up Tyrell Lyday changed the hoops team?

On the other hand maybe I am just demonstrating that we are a people of faith who can find something good in something so not good.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
              I am wondering if Holmoe locked in Rose because a decision has been made to spend as much of the available resources on football, even if it is to the detriment of the hoops program. Dave is well liked and a fairly popular coach outside of BYU. He has a group of former player/cheap assistants and resources spent in keeping hoops competing could be re-directed. I think part of the reason that the U cratered was that Hill spent as much money as he could, to the detriment of Ute hoops, on football with the dream that it would help the football program to be as competitive as possible and as attractive to a BCS conference as possible.

I know Occams Razor would tell me that for whatever reason Rose has just assumed auto-pilot and is following the path of least resistance- which I think many coaches at BYU end up on that pathway after encountering various difficulties with the admin. Rose had such excitement when he started as I recall him specifically saying "I will never tell my players they could never make the Final 4." Which was a semi-rebuke of Cleveland's occassional being the voice of reality wrt BYU's hoops potential. Now, look at Rose. That excitement and optimism is a relic of what used to be- I think coaching at BYU can do that to you when you experience enough Brandon Davies' missing the tourney and some Russian stud you have lined up to come who is not admitted. I just think coaching at the Y becomes a grind. I get all that and realize Rose has lost his intensity, and I can even empathize with him. I just can't get my mind around an extension at this point in time. Makes no sense, then I had the thought that perhaps BYU knows with Rose and cheap assistants a bunch of good mormon boys who want to be at BYU the hoops program can stay mediocre for another 3 years while the extra AD revenue could be spent on football improvements. Whenever the next beauty contest of inclusion into the beautiful people club will be based far more on football than any other sport. Further, rebuilding hoops is much easier than rebuilding football - remember how my picking up Tyrell Lyday changed the hoops team?

On the other hand maybe I am just demonstrating that we are a people of faith who can find something good in something so not good.
              Uh, Larry K is the 8th highest paid coach in the country.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                I am wondering if Holmoe locked in Rose because a decision has been made to spend as much of the available resources on football, even if it is to the detriment of the hoops program. Dave is well liked and a fairly popular coach outside of BYU. He has a group of former player/cheap assistants and resources spent in keeping hoops competing could be re-directed. I think part of the reason that the U cratered was that Hill spent as much money as he could, to the detriment of Ute hoops, on football with the dream that it would help the football program to be as competitive as possible and as attractive to a BCS conference as possible.

Lots of good speculation. Sounds as plausible as any other explanation. The Davies fiasco broke my faith in BYU administration permanently.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• An article I ran across that perfectly expresses my thoughts.
                  https://lawlessrepublic.com/2019/01/...ls-roses-seat/
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• my speculative thought is that Rose has been eyeing retirement anyway, and the recent one-year contract extension is the administration wanting a couple more years for the obvious candidates to develop just a bit more to be ready to take it then. I'm thinking guys like Pope, Peery, Lewis, maybe a couple of others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                      An article I ran across that perfectly expresses my thoughts.
                      https://lawlessrepublic.com/2019/01/...ls-roses-seat/
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        Uh, Larry K is the 8th highest paid coach in the country.
                        I meant the cratering was post Majerus. That salary for Larry K was after the move into the PAC and increased AD revenues.
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Twitter saying Hardnett quit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            Twitter saying Hardnett quit

Looks official. Transferring

*Banned*

Comment

• This team a dumpster fire.

Comment

• Sometimes I hate being right all the time.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X