Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Thank you. Not much difference. Would be even closer if you eliminate Cleveland's last year.
    If Rose were to have a 9-win year like Cleveland's last he'd be out. But he hasn't and is not likely to any time soon.

Comment

You ungrateful bastards! You are really discussing firing the greatest coach in byu basketball's non-illustrious history, a man who beat cancer WHILE HE WAS COACH, and gave you all JIMMER, the lead actor in every byu-themed wet dream that has occured in the last decade? For shame.

You are all like those prideful ute fans (like Art vandelay) that talk about replacing Kyle. You guys make me sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

I was wrong. He has 1 tourney win sans Jimmer. Thus the question is: is that as good as can be expected for BYU basketball?
        Historically speaking, pretty much.

BYU overall NCAA tournament: 15-32 (31.9%)
        BYU before Rose: 11-24 (31.4%)
        BYU since expansion to 32 teams in 1975: 11-22 (33.3%)
        BYU since expansion to 64 teams in 1985: 7-18 (28.0%)

BYU with Watts: 4-9 (30.8%) - never more than one win in a season
        BYU with Potter: 0-1 (0.0%)
        BYU with Arnold: 3-3 (50.0%) - all 3 wins were in 1981 Elite Eight run
        BYU with Anderson: 2-3 (40.0%) - never more than one win in a season
        BYU with Reid: 2-5 (28.6%) - never more than one win in a season
        BYU with Cleveland: 0-3 (0.0%)
        BYU with Rose: 4-8 (33.3%)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...y/_/team1/5437
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
          You ungrateful bastards! You are really discussing firing the greatest coach in byu basketball's non-illustrious history, a man who beat cancer WHILE HE WAS COACH, and gave you all JIMMER, the lead actor in every byu-themed wet dream that has occured in the last decade? For shame.

You are all like those prideful ute fans (like Art vandelay) that talk about replacing Kyle. You guys make me sick.
          Haha. Go away.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            • Dave Rose is a good, not great coach
            • Dave Rose has been a below average coach (outside of Spokane) the last 3 years
            • Dave Rose is a likable guy, who the media handles with kid gloves
            • Dave Rose has never won a conference tournament, though he has been the #1 seed multiple times
            • Dave Rose recruited the a chubby kid from NY who was the best thing to happen to BYU basketball since, a cocky kid with a bowl cut from Eugene.
            • Dave Rose has lost more games in the NCAA tournament than he has won*

I'm torn on what to do with DR. Like KD, I think he has earned the right to stay through some bad years. In fact, I think BYU will eventually play on Dave Rose Court at the Marriott Center. However, he is trending in the wrong direction. To lose to inferior teams on as regular basis as he does, is a sign of bad coaching. Since joining the WCC. Gonzaga has lost to 0 teams other than SMC or BYU. St. Marys has lost to 5 games . BYU has lost 13...and counting.

* Without looking, I would guess on teams that didn't have St. Jimmer, Rose has only won 2 real (NIT doesn't count) tournament games.
            This is a very fair post. Thank you, Art Vandelay.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
              Yeah, but going independent in football forced us into a much less respected conference for BB. The Mt. West has usually had decent chops in basketball.
              Football and basketball have completely different dynamics. That is why I scoff at the two main excuses we hear:

1) Not enough coaching candidates
              2) LDS talent pool is not good

Take a look at St. Mary's and Gonzaga. Both are small schools that play in small (or tiny) gyms. Both have been in the WCC forever. Neither school has a football team, let alone a D1 team. Yet they both dominate us and the Zags have a great overall tourney record. St. Mary's does it with mostly stiff white dudes. Light years beyond ours. Football has structural barriers, but the sky is the limit with basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Football and basketball have completely different dynamics. That is why I scoff at the two main excuses we hear:

1) Not enough coaching candidates
                2) LDS talent pool is not good

Take a look at St. Mary's and Gonzaga. Both are small schools that play in small (or tiny) gyms. Both have been in the WCC forever. Neither school has a football team, let alone a D1 team. Yet they both dominate us and the Zags have a great overall tourney record. St. Mary's does it with mostly stiff white dudes. Light years beyond ours. Football has structural barriers, but the sky is the limit with basketball.
                Australians.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                  Australians.
                  I wonder how the you can't have sex with the girls and you can't drink beer will go over with the Australians. Just need to find some like the first one who came over, Eddie Palubinskas was a sweet shooting guard who went to LSU after Ricks. This article puts him in the top five to play in the U. S.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle...CLID=211567402

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    who replaces him though
                    Thur “Big T” Bailey is a Morm!
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Preach it, Patrick.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=294&sid=46265892

In what has become customary, along with frustrating, BYU enters the final week of the WCC season likely destined to finish in third place. Another third-place finish would be the fifth time the Cougars have ended there in the seven seasons since joining the conference.
                      There is no shame playing second fiddle to Gonzaga, formerly a cute program tucked away in the Northwest that has become a national power built on the strength of routinely recruiting future NBA players. But nobody outside of Moraga, California, thought BYU would struggle to keep pace with Saint Mary’s, a cute program tucked away in the hills north of Oakland built on the strength of importing talent from Australia.

Yet, here are the Cougars, perpetually finishing down under.

Each year, the story changes but the results stay the same. For a multitude of reasons, BYU suffers a series of unacceptable losses to lowly WCC teams that derail any chance at earning an NCAA at-large berth.

Comment

If we don't make the tournament next year I'm going to start to wonder if it might be time for Dave to think about retirement. I'm not quite there yet.

And I'm not a fan that supports a coach to the ends of earth, no matter what. I was actually off the Crowton bandwagon even before his first season ended. Maybe that was unfair and extreme of me. Or maybe I was already seeing troubling signs of bad things to come, which did come. I really liked Mendenhall at first and then got a little lukewarm on him later. I was also much more critical of Coach Cleveland than Coach Rose.
                        Last edited by BlueK; 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                          Australians.
                          Fuck you Jim Boylen. That Aussie pipeline was ours before that piece of shit burned it to the ground. If someone arranged a fight to the death between Jim Boylen and Nate Cooper, I'd want Nate Cooper to win but later die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                            Fuck you Jim Boylen. That Aussie pipeline was ours before that piece of shit burned it to the ground. If someone arranged a fight to the death between Jim Boylen and Nate Cooper, I'd want Nate Cooper to win but later die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.
                            Tyler Haws loves what Boylen is doing up on the hill. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              Tyler Haws loves what Boylen is doing up on the hill. :-)
                              Off topic, but I am proud of limiting myself to one f-word in a post about Jim Boylen.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                                Off topic, but I am proud of limiting myself to one f-word in a post about Jim Boylen.
                                I understand. I felt the same about Coach Crowton for quite some time after he was gone. I hope you can eventually heal from the traumatic experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X