X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      no. saying that he never would have gotten that opportunity.
      Consider this scenario, which although I don't know him personally, seems pretty plausible:

He knew he didn't have a ton of natural talent but he loves the game and wanted to become a coach. So he worked his butt off to be able to walk onto the team and eventually work his way into the lineup, while continually learning as much as he could along the way. That's what gave him the opportunity to get into coaching.

Stats don't necessarily always give a completely true picture and don't necessarily prove causation, but the numbers indicate that when he was over the defense it was good. Then in the years he was over the offense, it was good. It was the goofy looking glasses that made some fans think he didn't look the part, IMO. I'm not close to the program like Killer Dog, but I would trust his perceptions.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        Consider this scenario, which although I don't know him personally, seems pretty plausible:

He knew he didn't have a ton of natural talent but he loves the game and wanted to become a coach. So he worked his butt off to be able to walk onto the team and eventually work his way into the lineup, while continually learning as much as he could along the way. That's what gave him the opportunity to get into coaching.

Stats don't necessarily always give a completely true picture and don't necessarily prove causation, but the numbers indicate that when he was over the defense it was good. Then in the years he was over the offense, it was good. It was the goofy looking glasses that made some fans think he didn't look the part, IMO. I'm not close to the program like Killer Dog, but I would trust his perceptions.
        Nashif was along for the ride as an assistant when things were going pretty well - he was there when things started to slouch to where we find ourselves. I don't have any idea how much he contributed or didn't contribute to either. He was a higher assistant when things were not so good. His playing career is a stupid way to evaluate what he did contribute. I do agree that him playing at BYU led to the opportunity, but so what. To me the most compelling thing about his bio to be a coach was how smart the kid was/is. I think he went to BYU on some prestigious scholarship. At the end of the day really good coaches are usually really smart. Perhaps referencing Nashif as "smart" is unfair and perhaps he was only academically inclined but while I don't always believe everyone academically inclined is smart most are. In any case the current situation is Dave Rose's. The inability to keep kids for 4 years, either going pro early or transferring, has hurt. Also the change in systems indicates some desperation/inability to clearly identify the solutions that would work.

We all love that Rose was in charge when BYU had a multi-year run that was an absolute blast, but since Jimmer left he seems to have underachieved BYU's historical norms as he overachieved his first six years as HC.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Also Nashif broke Marcus Bank's ankles once in a game in Provo vs UNLV in January, 2003 and then banked it off the backboard below the hoop. It was sooooo beautiful!
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
            Bump
            That's the crazy thing about Dave Rose. He can win some of the big games (witness our record in Spokane) and then lose to horrible teams. It is weird.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              That's the crazy thing about Dave Rose. He can win some of the big games (witness our record in Spokane) and then lose to horrible teams. It is weird.
              Which seems to be the opposite from early in his career as head coach when he would win all the games he should and none of the games he shouldn't.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Which seems to be the opposite from early in his career as head coach when he would win all the games he should and none of the games he shouldn't.
                This coincides exactly with the switch to the WCC, for what that's worth. There are other reasons, but in some respects the perception in quality between the mid to lower MWC teams when using the flawed rpi as a measuring stick, compared to the same in the WCC creates a mirage. Wyoming or Air Force in reality is not 50 spots better than say, LMU. The reason is, years ago the MWC did what the WCC just barely starting doing in terms of individual scheduling. In the early 2000s the MWC met and discussed ways to beat the system. It worked. By scheduling smarter outside the conference, the lower rung MWC teams stopped being as much of an rpi drain on the upper tier teams. There was some backlash to it by the selection committee at first (thus BYU and others getting that stupid 12 seed year after year despite an rpi in the 20s), but eventually it took hold and the conference got more respect. It didn't hurt that during the Jimmer years you also had SDSU and UNLV playing well. It made the bottom dwellers appear to be better than they were. I've looked a little at the numbers over the years. One thing that is interesting is that the MWC tends to overperform on the rpi and underperform on the more sophisticated systems like Pomeroy, or even Sagarin. I think the NCAA's latest change to a better ranking system, along with the WCC scheduling change and teams being more aware of their non-conference scheduling is going to make the conference look better and give fewer opportunities for losses to lower ranking teams.
                Last edited by BlueK; 12-10-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Gee, our head coach seems to be coaching a lot better now that we have a star player back in the fold. Why didn't he just coach better before??
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    Gee, our head coach seems to be coaching a lot better now that we have a star player back in the fold. Why didn't he just coach better before??
                    Emery had a very minor role in the Utah win. Yoeli and Haws.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Emery had a very minor role in the Utah win. Yoeli and Haws.
                      True enough. The team seems hyped to have him back and playing with a bit of a spring in their step, though. Kind of like the Jazz' FG% taking a big jump just from having Korver back, although KK really hasn't been a featured player.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

True enough. The team seems hyped to have him back and playing with a bit of a spring in their step, though. Kind of like the Jazz' FG% taking a big jump just from having Korver back, although KK really hasn't been a featured player.
                        and then sunday happened.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Gee, our head coach seems to be coaching a lot better now that we have a star player back in the fold. Why didn't he just coach better before??
                          Except that statistically Emery did little against Utah. He was a spark against USU for the minutes he was in. His effect psychologically on the team seems to be where his major contribution has been so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            and then sunday happened.
                            Well... I think we mainly got Popoviched after we embarrassed them last week.

Comment

Except that statistically Emery did little against Utah. He was a spark against USU for the minutes he was in. His effect psychologically on the team seems to be where his major contribution has been so far.
                              That's kind of JL's and my interaction wrapped up in one post...

Comment

Well... I think we mainly got Popoviched after we embarrassed them last week.
                                fair point.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X