Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    ahh I didn't read funk's post too carefully.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      Rose won conference championships in the same conference Cleveland coached in, and when that conference was a lot better. We have no idea if Cleveland could have won a championship in the WCC with Gonzaga and SMC there. I think probably not.
      I didn't claim that he would have won the WCC. But taking 3rd place every year is nothing to brag about and I think Cleveland could have easily matched that record. Rose has accomplished nothing of note since Jimmer left.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Sagarin average, high, low rank for last 5 years coaching
        Cleveland: 74.6, 31, 189
        Rose: 57.8, 41, 78

Ken Pom average, high, low rank for last 4 years coaching
        Cleveland: 69.75, 24, 157
        Rose: 58.5, 28, 80

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          We was a disaster at UNLV which is a better job than Utah. He wasn't going to get the level of recruits he was getting at UNLV to Utah. He would have been in a tougher conference. He was a miserable failure at UNLV. What makes you think he would do better at a job where it is tougher to win?
          Doesn't matter, you can't make the pronouncement you were right that he would have been a disaster at Utah. He might have hired different assistants, got better recruits, etc. You just don't know. You can say he was a disaster at UNLV. That is established fact. But you can't same that he would have been a disaster at Utah, so quit giving yourself extra points.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
            Sagarin average, high, low rank for last 5 years coaching
            Cleveland: 74.6, 31, 189
            Rose: 57.8, 41, 78

Ken Pom average, high, low rank for last 4 years coaching
            Cleveland: 69.75, 24, 157
            Rose: 58.5, 28, 80
            Thank you. Not much difference. Would be even closer if you eliminate Cleveland's last year.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

The big question to me is always who do you replace him with. We're not exactly in a great spot to recruit coaches for any sport other than cross country and volleyball. Independence kind of feels like it was a poison pill right now.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                The big question to me is always who do you replace him with. We're not exactly in a great spot to recruit coaches for any sport other than cross country and volleyball. Independence kind of feels like it was a poison pill right now.
                We are not independent in basketball.

Comment

To answer the question- nah. When things go as well as they can he has performed very well. 2010 is one of my favorite sports years of all time largely thanks to Dave Rose. Lately we have had a bit of a run of people leaving early, staff changes, etc. We're doing ok with a team as young as ours-- I would like to see how this team develops.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    We are not independent in basketball.
                    Yeah, but going independent in football forced us into a much less respected conference for BB. The Mt. West has usually had decent chops in basketball.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I think you give Mark Pope some time to demonstrate that he's the rill dill, or allow a current LDS, BYU assistant emerge as the front-runner.

The decision doesn't have to be swift, but a succession plan should be developing.
                      Last edited by Green Monstah; 02-20-2018, 02:21 PM.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I'm not on the fire rose bandwagon, but Jensen would seem to be a pretty damn good hire.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Dave Rose is a good, not great coach
                          • Dave Rose has been a below average coach (outside of Spokane) the last 3 years
                          • Dave Rose is a likable guy, who the media handles with kid gloves
                          • Dave Rose has never won a conference tournament, though he has been the #1 seed multiple times
                          • Dave Rose recruited the a chubby kid from NY who was the best thing to happen to BYU basketball since, a cocky kid with a bowl cut from Eugene.
                          • Dave Rose has lost more games in the NCAA tournament than he has won*

I'm torn on what to do with DR. Like KD, I think he has earned the right to stay through some bad years. In fact, I think BYU will eventually play on Dave Rose Court at the Marriott Center. However, he is trending in the wrong direction. To lose to inferior teams on as regular basis as he does, is a sign of bad coaching. Since joining the WCC. Gonzaga has lost to 0 teams other than SMC or BYU. St. Marys has lost to 5 games . BYU has lost 13...and counting.

* Without looking, I would guess on teams that didn't have St. Jimmer, Rose has only won 2 real (NIT doesn't count) tournament games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I didn't claim that he would have won the WCC. But taking 3rd place every year is nothing to brag about and I think Cleveland could have easily matched that record. Rose has accomplished nothing of note since Jimmer left.
                            Most every year. We've taken second twice.

Comment

This thread is a bunch of bullshit. Rose has been very succesful and we are lucky to have him. Sounds like a bunch of pussy Ute fans thinking Whittingham has to go. Or maybe closer to home, everyone who was glad that Bronco left so that we could get some new blood in. That has worked out great.

Comment

Time for Dave Rose to move along?

I was wrong. He has 1 tourney win sans Jimmer. Thus the question is: is that as good as can be expected for BYU basketball?

Comment

Working...
                                X