Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 214

Thread: Time for Dave Rose to move along?

  1. #151
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,767

    Default

    Ok, so yet another highly rated player comes to BYU, underperforms, then transfers. Bummer.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  2. #152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Ok, so yet another highly rated player comes to BYU, underperforms, then transfers. Bummer.
    The worst part is he showed glimpses of his potential last season.

  3. #153
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    10,008

    Default

    I wonder if it's a matter of apathy on Rose's part? He certainly seems to have misjudged talent. Although I was pretty skeptical of a Jordan Chapman fresh off his mission, he's played fairly well for an ACC team, albeit a fairly bad one.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  4. #154
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,145

    Default

    The volleyball team is going to miss him berating opposing players at the service line.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  5. #155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Ok, so yet another highly rated player comes to BYU, underperforms, then transfers. Bummer.
    The lesson is don't go to BYU if you are a highly rated player.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  6. #156
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    The lesson is don't go to BYU if you are a highly rated player.
    Ha. That reminds me when you were insisting that Jamal Williams should never return to BYU and that BYU was ruining his life. Still makes me laugh.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  7. #157
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    10,008

    Default

    The Mormon kid at Gonzaga is transferring. I wonder if we have a shot.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  8. #158
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    The Mormon kid at Gonzaga is transferring. I wonder if we have a shot.
    Not if funk gets to him first!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  9. #159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Not if funk gets to him first!
    Meh, he is Mormon he should go to BYU.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  10. #160

    Default

    his name is jesse wade.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  11. #161
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Meh, he is Mormon he should go to BYU.
    Great, now funk wants to corral all the mormons at BYU.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  12. #162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Ok, so yet another highly rated player comes to BYU, underperforms, then transfers. Bummer.
    You could argue that the others who transferred out weren't that highly rated. Dastrup would be the first top 100/4* player.

  13. #163
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    You could argue that the others who transferred out weren't that highly rated. Dastrup would be the first top 100/4* player.
    Progress!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  14. #164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Progress!
    I actually think this will be fun season. I understand the recent cynicism around everything though.

  15. #165
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,463
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  16. #166

    Default

    Ten years ago, no one was more bullish on Rose than me. One game doesn't make a season, but I'm pretty down on him right now. There's no such thing as a Rose system right now. He's allowed his assistants to reinvent his strategy the last few years. That team last night played dumb and undisciplined. Childs is trying to block a step back three in foul trouble. TJ's disrespecting the game on both sides of the court. It's sad to watch.

  17. #167

    Default

    i will forever blame the mission for TJ forgetting how to play basketball. coming out of HS, there was no reason he shouldn't have been a very good D1 player. he is now terrible on both ends of the court and doesn't seem to be getting better - not sure if he's worse on offense or defense, but it is indeed painful to watch.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  18. #168
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i will forever blame the mission for TJ forgetting how to play basketball. coming out of HS, there was no reason he shouldn't have been a very good D1 player. he is now terrible on both ends of the court and doesn't seem to be getting better - not sure if he's worse on offense or defense, but it is indeed painful to watch.
    Thatís funny. Blame the mission.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  19. #169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That’s funny. Blame the mission.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  20. #170
    Peanut Gallery Asshat HBCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Thatís funny. Blame the mission.
    He should hire Kate Kelly, Esq to recoup NBA monies lost in exchange for returning with honor.

    I'm rattling my brain trying to remember a time when TJ went behind the back in traffic and it resulted in anything other than bad things. Mark Sanchez had the butt fumble; TJ has patented the behind-the-back butt turnover.

    Overall though, not a terrible effort. A true road game against a top 10 team shouldn't be a W for almost any college basketball team. I saw a lot of encouraging things last night, but BYU remains what it is nearly every year: somewhere between a 20-win team that misses the tournament and a 20-win team that barely makes the tournament. This has been the case any year they haven't had the Wooden award winner on their roster.

    Curb the crazy expectations and enjoy the season. We have a pretty good basketball team.

  21. #171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Ten years ago, no one was more bullish on Rose than me. One game doesn't make a season, but I'm pretty down on him right now. There's no such thing as a Rose system right now. He's allowed his assistants to reinvent his strategy the last few years. That team last night played dumb and undisciplined. Childs is trying to block a step back three in foul trouble. TJ's disrespecting the game on both sides of the court. It's sad to watch.
    There should have been more than 8 turnovers if it was really that bad. This looked like BYU playing against a 4 or 5 seed in the NCAA tournament: shaky start, fight back to tie at the half, hang with them close on the scoreboard until 5-6 minutes to go, run out of gas/get hurt with key players in foul trouble. I wouldn't read an extra amount of negative into this against a very tough opponent on the road.

    Now if they make the same kinds of mistakes against lesser competition, have at it.

  22. #172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    He should hire Kate Kelly, Esq to recoup NBA monies lost in exchange for returning with honor.

    I'm rattling my brain trying to remember a time when TJ went behind the back in traffic and it resulted in anything other than bad things. Mark Sanchez had the butt fumble; TJ has patented the behind-the-back butt turnover.

    Overall though, not a terrible effort. A true road game against a top 10 team shouldn't be a W for almost any college basketball team. I saw a lot of encouraging things last night, but BYU remains what it is nearly every year: somewhere between a 20-win team that misses the tournament and a 20-win team that barely makes the tournament. This has been the case any year they haven't had the Wooden award winner on their roster.

    Curb the crazy expectations and enjoy the season. We have a pretty good basketball team.
    It is a pretty good team overall and the younger guys have the potential to help make the team better. It's not the horrible team some imagined before the year (and yes I realize "horrible" to some is defined by a team that wins 24 and goes to the NIT). But I will still be disappointed if they don't make the tournament because they have the pieces and the non-conference schedule to get that done this year. After 3 years they need to make it this time. This team is better than last year's and is no worse than the 2015, 2014 and 2012 versions.
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-07-2018 at 10:17 AM.

  23. #173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    He should hire Kate Kelly, Esq to recoup NBA monies lost in exchange for returning with honor.

    I'm rattling my brain trying to remember a time when TJ went behind the back in traffic and it resulted in anything other than bad things. Mark Sanchez had the butt fumble; TJ has patented the behind-the-back butt turnover.

    Overall though, not a terrible effort. A true road game against a top 10 team shouldn't be a W for almost any college basketball team. I saw a lot of encouraging things last night, but BYU remains what it is nearly every year: somewhere between a 20-win team that misses the tournament and a 20-win team that barely makes the tournament. This has been the case any year they haven't had the Wooden award winner on their roster.

    Curb the crazy expectations and enjoy the season. We have a pretty good basketball team.
    actually kate kelly esq is a human rights lawyer and wouldn’t waste her time on sportsball
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  24. #174
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i will forever blame the mission for TJ forgetting how to play basketball. coming out of HS, there was no reason he shouldn't have been a very good D1 player. he is now terrible on both ends of the court and doesn't seem to be getting better - not sure if he's worse on offense or defense, but it is indeed painful to watch.
    He looks like he hasn't aged well.

  25. #175

    Default

    Perhaps my favorite common criticism of Rose over the years has been the one about how he doesn't yank players enough for playing poorly. Yet, he has a super long list now of players transferred out probably for getting yanked too much when they've played poorly.

  26. #176
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,582

    Default

    Wow. This should be the end of Rose at BYU.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...se-scholarship
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  27. #177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Wow. This should be the end of Rose at BYU.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...se-scholarship
    I'm actually surprised that the NCAA didn't fire Rose themselves.

  28. #178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Wow. This should be the end of Rose at BYU.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...se-scholarship
    lol
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  29. #179
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,582

    Default

    The same thing cost Pete Carroll his job at USC. I guess BYU is diffferent.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  30. #180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The same thing cost Pete Carroll his job at USC. I guess BYU is diffferent.
    apparently Dave Rose is being offered an NBA coaching job.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •