Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Pope could leverage that to a coaching job at school with status probably similar to BYU. We could do worse, I guess. Risky. But the program's pretty dead right now. Going the wrong direction with little talent in the underclassmen and not much on the horizon from recruiting. I have gone from fire Chow, fire Crowton as a youth to conservative in my old age "don't fire Bronco, it could get worse". So, it's taken a while to get here, and I never thought I'd say this even a couple years ago, but I'm fine with Rose leaving.
    I think Jensen is riskier in that being an assistant in the NBA is far different than running a D1 program. It could turn out great, but there are many examples where it hasn't worked out well. In any case, he'd be taking on some responsibilities he hasn't had to in his current position. Running a D1 program encompasses a lot more than just teaching players basketball. Pope is a safer choice given that there is a track record there over the last 4 years. Jensen would really have to have a great interview, IMO. Could happen.

Comment

• What is the reservation for Pope? Assistant experience at BYU. Great job building the UVU program.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The radio talking heads were talking about Jazz assistants and who might be moving on at some point to do what. So this really wasn't in relation to any local college jobs.

But they all dismissed any discussion of Jensen going to coach in college. They referred to him as the #2 guy as far as coaches at the Jazz and seemed to believe that if anything he'd be getting a job at some point as an NBA HC.

The guy they thought might leave the Jazz for an opportunity elsewhere - potentially NCAA - was Johnny Bryant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          The radio talking heads were talking about Jazz assistants and who might be moving on at some point to do what. So this really wasn't in relation to any local college jobs.

But they all dismissed any discussion of Jensen going to coach in college. They referred to him as the #2 guy as far as coaches at the Jazz and seemed to believe that if anything he'd be getting a job at some point as an NBA HC.

The guy they thought might leave the Jazz for an opportunity elsewhere - potentially NCAA - was Johnny Bryant.
          For someone like Jensen, taking a D1 coaching job is a bigger risk to him than staying on the path he's already on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            What is the reservation for Pope? Assistant experience at BYU. Great job building the UVU program.
            I agree. Here is my feeling on Pope:

1.) LDS guy who is card carrying but did not serve a mission because he thought it would negatively impact his hoops career. This guy will relate to kids who want to be great and see mission service as a risk. That is a good perspective for BYU hoops IMO.

2.) Smart guy who was in medical school before pursuing a college coaching career.

3.) Played under a legendary coach at Kentucky after transferring from Washington. He is willing to take risks (i.e. transferring) in order to win. Might not be real loyal as a downside.

4.) Was an assistant at BYU and well thought of in the hoops world. That gave him experience with the weirdness of BYU.

5.) Comes with HC experience that indicates the program was improving under his watch.

6.) Coached the best "HORSE" team I ever saw the Saturday after Thanksgiving two years ago!

Given BYU's pool he appears to me better prepared to be BYU's HC than every HC I can remember BYU hiring except Ladell Anderson and Ladell was in the twilight/last gasps of his career.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              The radio talking heads were talking about Jazz assistants and who might be moving on at some point to do what. So this really wasn't in relation to any local college jobs.

I'd say the same thing if the Utes fired Krystkowiak (a person can dream right?), Alex Jensen isn't walking through that door.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• This rumor is turning out to be a huge dud.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

This rumor is turning out to be a huge dud.
                  Not to mention this thread!
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This rumor is turning out to be a huge dud.
                    Sad

Comment

• next year's team has to make the NCAA tournament or that will be it for Rose.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        I'd say the same thing if the Utes fired Krystkowiak (a person can dream right?), Alex Jensen isn't walking through that door.
                        But Johnnie Bryant might...

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                        next year's team has to make the NCAA tournament or that will be it for Rose.
                        I don't follow the Cougs past our annual November dual, but is this a realistic possibility if--as everyone seems to assume--Yoeli is gone next year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          But Johnnie Bryant might...

I don't follow the Cougs past our annual November dual, but is this a realistic possibility if--as everyone seems to assume--Yoeli is gone next year?
                          In a way it doesn't matter. 5 years in a row without going there is below BYU historical standards. Remember the 1-26 team? It only took 4 years after that disaster to get back into the tournament. And that was with starting completely from scratch. If we changed coaches for next year of course I'd give him more leeway on that. Yoeli may come back. But even without Yoeli I don't think we're that far off. Going into the WCC tournament, the numbers showed we would have been on the NCAA bubble this year had we not lost those silly games in December to Weber State (not bothering to show up from the get-go), Illinois State (blowing a 14 point second half lead), and UNLV (again blowing a late lead). Many fans believe a change should be made now. Allowing him to continue if he can get the team back into the tournament seems fair to me.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 03-22-2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                            next year's team has to make the NCAA tournament or that will be it for Rose.
                            How is next year's team possibly making the NCAA tournament?

Comment

Continuity
                              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

My main point was that it's a fair standard for Rose to need to hit were he to come back.

But I also think the team played far below their ability much of the season. They did also hit a few high points that showed they could be much better like the win over St. Mary's and the blowout win over a good USU team that got a #8 seed in the Tournament.
                                Last edited by BlueK; 03-26-2019, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X