Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for Dave Rose to move along?

I am starting to think we are going nowhere with Dave Rose. He had a nice run with Jimmer, but seems to have perpetually underachieved since then. His defenses are atrocious. The players don't seem particularly loyal. We would be far better this year with Mika. And many of the players that leave to play elsewhere seem to flourish after leaving. What is most troubling to me this year is that the teams seem to have regressed as the season goes on. That is not an indicator of good coaching.

Yeah, I get that he has a respectable W/L record and lots of 20-win seasons, but on the rare occasion we make the Big Dance, we almost always flame out in the first round. And perennial 3rd place finishes in the WCC are nothing to brag about.

I think it is time for him to move on and give someone else a shot. Agree or disagree?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I am starting to think we are going nowhere with Dave Rose. He had a nice run with Jimmer, but seems to have perpetually underachieved since then. His defenses are atrocious. The players don't seem particularly loyal. We would be far better this year with Mika. And many of the players that leave to play elsewhere seem to flourish after leaving. What is most troubling to me this year is that the teams seem to have regressed as the season goes on. That is not an indicator of good coaching.

Yeah, I get that he has a respectable W/L record and lots of 20-win seasons, but on the rare occasion we make the Big Dance, we almost always flame out in the first round. And perennial 3rd place finishes in the WCC are nothing to brag about.

I think it is time for him to move on and give someone else a shot. Agree or disagree?
    The kiss of death.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
      No kidding. I guess the Dude is feeling his oats after getting Ty fired.

Comment

The program does seem to be stagnating, and many of JL's criticism seems valid. I worry about replacing a perennial 20 game winner unless there is a proven winner we can replace him with.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I have to agree with the Dude.

Comment

who replaces him though
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              A more serious take...

Up until a few years ago, I thought Rose was a great coach. I thought he had a very good good overall approach. Yes, his D was never great. But the emphasis on offense, especially transition offense, and especially three point shooting in transition, worked. It also helped on D because other teams had to drop rebounders to defend transition. I sometimes thought he made personnel choices to favor perimeter offense and defending over post play, and it hurt us at times. But overall through the course of the season, the results proved it was a good plan. imo.

In the post Jimmer era, something changed. Either we didn't have the right players. Or opponents figured out how to neutralize our strengths. Or the game changed a little such that his strategy wasn't as effective. He went to zone defense, which I never liked, that never could defend the 3, and was only effective if opponents were randomly cold shooting. We never guarded anyone out of it. Then also, the LP3 came, and Emery and Haws frankly appear to be out of control and uncoachable. That hurt. He went to a post based offense last year with Mika, but it didn't turn out to be all that effective, despite Mika being awesome.

Maybe the cancer recovery was difficult. Maybe he just felt like he couldn't connect to what was working anymore. But in what seems like a crazy thing for a successful coach to do, he hires Schroyer and turns over both the offense and defense to him. So weird. Schroyer has been an effective coach in the past, but there's a reason he's now bouncing around in the assistant coaching world. So in what seems like a desperate move given the past success and experience of Rose, he turns it all over to Schroyer. Now it seems the coaching level is even a step below what it's been the last couple years.

What to do now? No idea. I don't want him fired. But I'm not really against the encouraging of Rose to retire gracefully I guess at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Omg. Disloyal pricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Be careful what you wish for.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

This would be fine if we were anyone else but as o_g said who is up next? Football proved what we should know with our coaching candidate pool: that it can get much much worse.

Comment

i guess you could get pope. not sure schroyer is an option.
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

John Dehlin.
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                            John Dehlin.
                            Good thinking. He could develop very offensive strategies while still being very defensive.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              Good thinking. He could develop very offensive strategies while still being very defensive.
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Working...
                              X