Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Real nice work by UnderArmor with the long-track speed skating unis. Very flattering.

No wonder we suck at speed skating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    No wonder we suck at speed skating

Did nobody review the final draft?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

How a skier managed to compete at the Olympics despite not being very good

Her spot in the Olympics is a result of the relative lack of depth in women’s halfpipe and the fact that some countries that dominate in the sport, such as the United States, can only send four competitors. Swaney did her part, at least according to the rules for eligibility set forth by the International Ski Federation (FIS), by doggedly appearing at World Cup events — and not falling.

The minimum requirements for making it to the Winter Games included consistently finishing in the top 30 in World Cup events and accumulating enough FIS points. The former was not a major problem, as many World Cup events did not attract 30 women, and her play-it-safe approach — to perhaps put it far too kindly — ensured that she remained upright and came away with at least a few points.

According to the Denver Post, Swaney has traveled the world to compete in World Cup halfpipe events, including in China, Italy, France, South Korea, Canada and New Zealand, as well as stateside in California, Colorado and Utah. Her best result was 13th out of a field of 15 competitors in China, when most of the world’s top skiers were at a more prestigious event in the United States.

“The field is not that deep in the women’s pipe and she went to every World Cup, where there were only 24, 25, or 28 women,” a veteran FIS judge said of Swaney to the Denver Post. “She would compete in them consistently over the last couple years and sometimes girls would crash so she would not end up dead last.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Wow if she is that determined and skiing so much you'd think she'd develop some sort of remedial skill in the pipe.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I wonder what the next half-pipe ski craze is going to be. There will certainly be others who follow her path to Olympic stardom.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Wow if she is that determined and skiing so much you'd think she'd develop some sort of remedial skill in the pipe.
    lol yeah if you traveled the world for two years competing in half pipe competitions you think that by sheer number of runs you would learn something more than a 180 degree turn sometimes accompanied by a 12 inch jump. hilarious.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    lol yeah if you traveled the world for two years competing in half pipe competitions you think that by sheer number of runs you would learn something more than a 180 degree turn sometimes accompanied by a 12 inch jump. hilarious.
    Yep. My wife and I were laughing about this. All that practice, money, and travel and this is where you are in terms of skills? Lol.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

So the US isn't doing so well:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ousy-olympics/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-for-team-usa/

I haven't heard if Trump chimed in on these Olympics. This seems like something he would care about, namely poor indicators of true greatness (think crowd size).

My one hope is that Russia is shutout completely, but I'm guessing they will find a gold medal somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    So the US isn't doing so well:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ousy-olympics/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-for-team-usa/

I haven't heard if Trump chimed in on these Olympics. This seems like something he would care about, namely poor indicators of true greatness (think crowd size).

My one hope is that Russia is shutout completely, but I'm guessing they will find a gold medal somewhere.
    Hasn't Russia already been shut out (by virtue of their team being prevented from competing under the Russian flag)?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Hasn't Russia already been shut out (by virtue of their team being prevented from competing under the Russian flag)?
    They can still win. They will just raise the Olympic flag and play the Olympic anthem. They just haven't won yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the men's hockey team's win yesterday, and am enjoying their game against Czech Republic now. If they pull this off they are only one win away from a medal which seemed impossible 4 days ago.

Seeing the U.S. win a gold in nordic skiing made my Olympics. Only the second medal ever in nordic skiing and a first for the women.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Seeing the U.S. win a gold in nordic skiing made my Olympics. Only the second medal ever in nordic skiing and a first for the women.
    Agreed. That was an awesome moment.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Default 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Just watched the entire race. Wow! Actually teared up a little at the end there. What a finish.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

It is interesting to watch the women hockey players. No surprise they aren’t as fast or aggressive as men. What surprises me is how poor their stick skills are. That doesn’t seem like something that should be that different between the sexes

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    It is interesting to watch the women hockey players. No surprise they aren’t as fast or aggressive as men. What surprises me is how poor their stick skills are. That doesn’t seem like something that should be that different between the sexes
    Guys are much better handling wood.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

US wins in a shootout. Great game.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Woohoo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    US wins in a shootout. Great game.
    In this case it appears the women's stick skills were much better when it came to a shoot out.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Default 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Lol @ Art.

That winning shot.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Lol @ Art.

That winning shot.
    Ha. i thought the same thing - Wow that was impressive. As was 2nd goal in the shootout by the Canadian. That was a fun game.

I wasn't trying to be (overly) negative with my first post. I enjoyed watching the whole game. I was just surprised at how many lost pucks, and sloppy passes there were for the two best teams in the world.

My 17 YO stayed up and watched the game with me. It brought back fond memories of watching the Olympics with my parents as a kid. This wasn't the Miracle on Ice, but it was pretty darn exciting.

That was a pretty exciting game last night. The OT with 4 on 4 and all the open ice was great. The 20 year goalie for the U.S. came up with some really good stops also. This is really a good rivalry, two evenly matched teams that really don't like each other and are the two best in the world.

Oh come on Canada! Women's hockey player refuses to wear silver medal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e5e4a7d46e7a

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Yeah, she pulled it off just as soon they put it on her. I watched it live. What a hoser.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post

shouldn't have lost then...?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

No kidding. The perception of hockey is so interesting up there. I expect to see days of national handwringing about the loss in Canadian media.

A U.S. woman talking about losing in the Gold Medal match in Sochi noted that you must lose to get the Silver medal. Very disappointing.

Hey if you didn't want the U.S. to dominate your sport you shouldn't have made your country so close to us!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"