2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

OK, we need an official thread. Here we go.

The most entertaining thing so far is Johnny Weir. That dude makes those Hunger Games hosts look downright frumpy.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

he is awesome. his outfit last night was amazing.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

johnny weir is great. totally self aware and hilarious.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

We're having an opening ceremonies watching party tonight. Got the bulgogi marinading in the fridge, picked up some cucumber kimchi from a local Korean shop, and picked up all the stuff necessary to roll our own kim pop. Gonna be some good eats!

Comment

I'm excited to see Vonn and Shiffrin in the women's alpine events and see if Ligety can make magic happen one more time. The U.S women have a good x-country team and could medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            We're having an opening ceremonies watching party tonight. Got the bulgogi marinading in the fridge, picked up some cucumber kimchi from a local Korean shop, and picked up all the stuff necessary to roll our own kim pop. Gonna be some good eats!
            I like your style, Eddie. Love Korean food.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

No Bob Costas? I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                No Bob Costas? I'm done.
                They had a problem with the latest firmware update. They'll roll it back and he'll be out front tomorrow.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Dang Comcast feed went out just in time for the opening ceremonies. No problem, they can get a technician out here on Monday.

I'm streaming it through my laptop, connected to my TV. The commercials are crystal clear while the programming seems a bit lower quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    No Bob Costas? I'm done.
                    someone must have farted on his pillow again
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

So many athletes from the US competing for other countries. That medal-count by country is an anachronism. They should dispense with that cold-war era institution. People should be able to compete for whatever country invites them, and is willing to sponsor them.

I did get a little teary when I saw the two Koreas walking in together. I wonder what were the communication problems the comingled Korean women's hockey team is having. Let me guess:

South K slang not understood by North Ks:

plastic surgery
                      Internet
                      beef
                      K-Pop

North K slang not understood by South K:

Juchi
                      Dear LEader
                      shistosomiasis
                      trichomoniasis
                      Last edited by Katy Lied; 02-10-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        So many athletes from the US competing for other countries. That medal-count by country is an anachronism. They should dispense with that cold-war era institution. People should be able to compete for whatever country invites them, and is willing to sponsor them.

I did get a little teary when I saw the two Koreas walking in together. I wonder what were the communication problems the comingled Korean women's hockey team is having. Let me guess:

South K slang not understood by North Ks:

plastic surgery
                        Internet
                        beef
                        K-Pop

North K slang not understood by South K:

Juchi
                        Dear LEader
                        shistosomiasis
                        trichomoniasis
                        They went on to expound that the communication issue was with their American coach, and the language the American coach has been using.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                          Isn't that kind of what happens now?

I am not sure you have fully considered the consequences of what you are proposing should this become widespread. Suppose a wealthy US athlete decides he (or she) wants to compete in the Olympics so he finds some other country willing to take him and beats out the athletes native to that country in the qualifying events. Is that really fair to the natives of that country? Also, something about importing athletes seems to cheapen the event for me. ymmv.

Comment

I just realized PyongChang is in my old mission boundaries. Only about 30 miles from one of my areas Donghae. Kangnung was where we went for zone meetings and district conference. I knew of some ski resort type area nearby, but I always assumed the skiing was not really legit.

Also, the Chang is like Chong of Cheech and Chong. Come on, people. It's a phonetic alphabet.

Comment

WTF??
                              Last edited by Moliere; 02-11-2018, 08:01 AM.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                              X