Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

Default 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

OK, we need an official thread. Here we go.

The most entertaining thing so far is Johnny Weir. That dude makes those Hunger Games hosts look downright frumpy.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

he is awesome. his outfit last night was amazing.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

johnny weir is great. totally self aware and hilarious.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

We're having an opening ceremonies watching party tonight. Got the bulgogi marinading in the fridge, picked up some cucumber kimchi from a local Korean shop, and picked up all the stuff necessary to roll our own kim pop. Gonna be some good eats!

I'm excited to see Vonn and Shiffrin in the women's alpine events and see if Ligety can make magic happen one more time. The U.S women have a good x-country team and could medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    We're having an opening ceremonies watching party tonight. Got the bulgogi marinading in the fridge, picked up some cucumber kimchi from a local Korean shop, and picked up all the stuff necessary to roll our own kim pop. Gonna be some good eats!
    I like your style, Eddie. Love Korean food.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

No Bob Costas? I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    No Bob Costas? I'm done.
    They had a problem with the latest firmware update. They'll roll it back and he'll be out front tomorrow.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Dang Comcast feed went out just in time for the opening ceremonies. No problem, they can get a technician out here on Monday.

I'm streaming it through my laptop, connected to my TV. The commercials are crystal clear while the programming seems a bit lower quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    No Bob Costas? I'm done.
    someone must have farted on his pillow again
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

So many athletes from the US competing for other countries. That medal-count by country is an anachronism. They should dispense with that cold-war era institution. People should be able to compete for whatever country invites them, and is willing to sponsor them.

I did get a little teary when I saw the two Koreas walking in together. I wonder what were the communication problems the comingled Korean women's hockey team is having. Let me guess:

South K slang not understood by North Ks:

plastic surgery
    Internet
    beef
    K-Pop

North K slang not understood by South K:

Juchi
    Dear LEader
    shistosomiasis
    trichomoniasis
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 02-10-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    So many athletes from the US competing for other countries. That medal-count by country is an anachronism. They should dispense with that cold-war era institution. People should be able to compete for whatever country invites them, and is willing to sponsor them.

I did get a little teary when I saw the two Koreas walking in together. I wonder what were the communication problems the comingled Korean women's hockey team is having. Let me guess:

South K slang not understood by North Ks:

plastic surgery
    Internet
    beef
    K-Pop

North K slang not understood by South K:

Juchi
    Dear LEader
    shistosomiasis
    trichomoniasis
    They went on to expound that the communication issue was with their American coach, and the language the American coach has been using.

Isn't that kind of what happens now?

I am not sure you have fully considered the consequences of what you are proposing should this become widespread. Suppose a wealthy US athlete decides he (or she) wants to compete in the Olympics so he finds some other country willing to take him and beats out the athletes native to that country in the qualifying events. Is that really fair to the natives of that country? Also, something about importing athletes seems to cheapen the event for me. ymmv.

I just realized PyongChang is in my old mission boundaries. Only about 30 miles from one of my areas Donghae. Kangnung was where we went for zone meetings and district conference. I knew of some ski resort type area nearby, but I always assumed the skiing was not really legit.

Also, the Chang is like Chong of Cheech and Chong. Come on, people. It's a phonetic alphabet.

Last edited by Moliere; 02-11-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

If there is ever an olympic event in synchronized anything for the 500+ team, the NoKors will win Gold, Silver and Bronze.

As Kim Jong Un's sister gets more and more media, I fear for her life.

If there is ever an olympic event in synchronized anything for the 500+ team, the NoKors will win Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Utah State student section gets silver.

I hope you’re right. Earth needs fewer members of that family. Ideally none.

Seriously creepy stuff with the uniformed fans sitting in tight formation, perfectly synchronized, robotically cheering for hours straight. Cracks me up that the NK leaders would think that reflects well on their nation.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Utah State student section gets silver.

Anyone know why Macedonia came in so late in the opening ceremonies? They were supposed to come in near the start according to this page: https://qz.com/1192437/this-is-the-o...ning-ceremony/

But NBC showed them coming in with the p'yop's IIRC? Did NBC just show them later than they actually came in? Or did they actually come in out of order?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

‘A human connection’: When a U.S. luger was struggling, a Russian offered his sled

How often does a luger offer up his most important piece of equipment? “Never,” Mazdzer said. It’d be like a NASCAR driver lending out his car or a sprinter passing along his lucky running shoes.

“It’s like, ‘This is your competitive advantage; this is everything. Are you sure?’ ” Mazdzer recalled. “And in some broken language of smiles and handshakes and high-fives, it’s like, ‘Yeah, just do it.’ ”
    How touching, rivals casting off cultural and national animosities to embrace the essence of sport: let's give everyone the best chance to win.

NOT!

The track in Sigulda, Latvia, is considered highly technical. Mazdzer quickly learned he was too big for the unfamiliar sled and couldn’t control it the way he’d like.
    It's pretty clear to me that the Russians, once again, were trying to sabotage America.

RUSSIA
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    ‘A human connection’: When a U.S. luger was struggling, a Russian offered his sled

How touching, rivals casting off cultural and national animosities to embrace the essence of sport: let's give everyone the best chance to win.

NOT!

It's pretty clear to me that the Russians, once again, were trying to sabotage America.

RUSSIA
    Whoa. I am going to hold off judgement until Walter and Uncle Ted have a chance to weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Whoa. I am going to hold off judgement until Walter and Uncle Ted have a chance to weigh in.
    I can see it now. Uncle Ted posts a picture of Hillary expectorating with some comment about her hocking a lugey in Russia.

Whoa - we're talking Russian conspiracy and you're leaving out Frank? Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Whoa - we're talking Russian conspiracy and you're leaving out Frank? Not cool.
    We already have an accusation of conspiracy. Try to keep up.

We already have an accusation of conspiracy. Try to keep up.
    Ha! OK. You got me there.

No one gives a shit about the Winter Olympics.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

Y'all hear that? We're using code names. --Evelle Snoats

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Knock it off.

hamiltons_121417_800x500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    You take your non-Juche spirit and GTFO!