Proxy Googling and Learned Helplessness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy Googling and Learned Helplessness

My students are too lazy to read long things. When they can't electronically search something I've given them, like a syllabus, they will use me as a proxy google, emailing me a question instead of taking the time to read the document and finding out the answer for themselves. Or, they'll email me questions like:

How do I put accents on words?
    What's the capital of Bolivia?
    What's the official currency of Panama?
    Where is my office?
    When are my office hours?

Now, I dedicate time to stuff like office, hours, and contact info the first day. It's on the first page of my syllabus. But, I've noticed that my students have gotten more and more in the habit of just using me as a proxy google. It's easier to send me a google query than to take the time to read and look for it themselves.

I feel like we, as a culture, are fighting a losing battle. These kids have never known anything else. And it's getting worse each year. I will have kids who will tell me, literally, that they don't understand how to do assignments, that are literally at the top of the page, and it's simple stuff, like making sure to attach an image to a document. Learned helplessness is a thing too. Parents do so much for them, and they get to college, and we have so many "Offices" that have people who will help fuckups that they can get through college without learning these things. For real.

God help us.

In case you wonder, I've been grading papers and answering emails for 3 hours.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

I would make it cost them something to ask you a question that they could have easily found out for themselves in less than a minute. Maybe you should make it your goal get them to be a bit less helpless.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      My students are too lazy to read long things. When they can't electronically search something I've given them, like a syllabus, they will use me as a proxy google, emailing me a question instead of taking the time to read the document and finding out the answer for themselves. Or, they'll email me questions like:

How do I put accents on words?
      What's the capital of Bolivia?
      What's the official currency of Panama?
      Where is my office?
      When are my office hours?

Now, I dedicate time to stuff like office, hours, and contact info the first day. It's on the first page of my syllabus. But, I've noticed that my students have gotten more and more in the habit of just using me as a proxy google. It's easier to send me a google query than to take the time to read and look for it themselves.

I feel like we, as a culture, are fighting a losing battle. These kids have never known anything else. And it's getting worse each year. I will have kids who will tell me, literally, that they don't understand how to do assignments, that are literally at the top of the page, and it's simple stuff, like making sure to attach an image to a document. Learned helplessness is a thing too. Parents do so much for them, and they get to college, and we have so many "Offices" that have people who will help fuckups that they can get through college without learning these things. For real.

God help us.

In case you wonder, I've been grading papers and answering emails for 3 hours.

http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=google&l=1
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

yeah, that's a little too smug for a mentor/student relationship sometimes.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I have a 40 year old friend who is like this. I don't get it. He'll call me and then ask me to walk him through something that he can just as easily (if not easier) figure out himself by going to google. I don't get it.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
            I would make it cost them something to ask you a question that they could have easily found out for themselves in less than a minute. Maybe you should make it your goal get them to be a bit less helpless.
            Well, I've never quite found a system that I felt contained enough bite or value to make it worth their while, or mine. When you start multiplying things x large classes x many classes. Well, sometimes, it just ain't worth it.

Comment

I feel your pain, wuap. You just described my home life. Sometimes my kids even call me google, just for fun. I’ve stopped answering questions that can be easily googled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                I feel your pain, wuap. You just described my home life. Sometimes my kids even call me google, just for fun. I’ve stopped answering questions that can be easily googled.
                Ha! In my house we call it "noogling" (after the first letter of my first name). Just call up dad instead of googling it yourself.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Oh great, you're just pushing them further into it.

You need to block google on your home network and instead buy a set of 1990 Encyclopedia Britannicas for $FREE.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

in fairness, Bolivia has two capitals.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      Which is the point of the activity I have them do. They don't want to go and learn, they just want to googleármelo. While Sucre is the capital, La Paz is the de facto capital, or seat of government.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        BoliVia.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Ha! In my house we call it "noogling" (after the first letter of my first name). Just call up dad instead of googling it yourself.
                          askdadclean.jpg
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                          X