No announcement yet.

Brother Brigham was one interesting cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just finished listening to the book. While it was well written, it wasn't as comprehensive as I would have liked. Once in Utah, it felt like the author relied too heavily on sources centered in Manti (or as the voice actor called it, "Mantee"). Maybe Manti served as the perfect microcosm of mid-19th Century Utah Mormonism, but my guess is that he didn't cast a broad net.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      I just finished listening to the book. While it was well written, it wasn't as comprehensive as I would have liked. Once in Utah, it felt like the author relied too heavily on sources centered in Manti (or as the voice actor called it, "Mantee"). Maybe Manti served as the perfect microcosm of mid-19th Century Utah Mormonism, but my guess is that he didn't cast a broad net.
      The reader is terrible! I groan every time he pronounces "Moroni". Makes it sound like an Italian name.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        The reader is terrible! I groan every time he pronounces "Moroni". Makes it sound like an Italian name.
        Teach that man the Mormon "i"!

In his defense, he did get Adam-ondi-Ahman correct.

Comment

Just finished the section on BY attitudes toward blacks, slavery, miscegenation, priesthood, etc. I can't imagine how anyone could do some serious historical research and maintain that that there was a divine origin to the priesthood ban. It was clearly organic and a product of the time and environment. The problem is that BY doubled down and gave everything a thus-saith-the-lord stamp (which he added to almost everything he said) and that made it more difficult to backtrack later. From the book:
          Growing up, a lot of BY's stuff was explained as "deep doctrine". I remember that it was discouraged to lead with the "deep doctrine" when talking about the gospel to non-members. It's refreshing to me that the Church has a more back to basics type of attitude nowadays. It also explains why I have such a hard time stomaching HP group discussions, as many of the old men are still fixed on "deep doctrine".

Comment

• While day dreaming today, I had a funny thought: imagine blood-atonement, Adam-God-theory, i'm-the-oracle-of-the-lord-dammit, come-back-from-the-dead Brigham Young as a guest on Mormon Stories, with your host John Dehlin.

You're welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              While day dreaming today, I had a funny thought: imagine blood-atonement, Adam-God-theory, i'm-the-oracle-of-the-lord-dammit, come-back-from-the-dead Brigham Young as a guest on Mormon Stories, with your host John Dehlin.

You're welcome.
              six minutes of brother brigham talking, punctuated by three hours and fifty four minutes of john dehlin interrupting him and waxing poetic? no thanks
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                six minutes of brother brigham talking, punctuated by three hours and fifty four minutes of john dehlin interrupting him and waxing poetic? no thanks
                Lol. Exactly.

Pass!
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  No way. Within 20 minutes, JD would either be bearing testimony in a pool of tears and regret or be blood atoned.

Comment

• So I finished the book. It was very interesting and I learned quite a few new details about BY's life. But in the end, the book left me feeling a little empty. I found the bio to be too mechanical. I learned a lot of facts about Brother Brigham but I don't feel like I got to know or understand what makes him tick. Very few insights into his religious convictions or the depth of his spirituality. The author is non-LDS and I think there is good value in having non-LDS authors write such bios for the sake of balance, but I think this one came up short for me.

Comment

• GM daydreams about John Dehlin. I’ll just store that away in the memory banks.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

So I finished the book. It was very interesting and I learned quite a few new details about BY's life. But in the end, the book left me feeling a little empty. I found the bio to be too mechanical. I learned a lot of facts about Brother Brigham but I don't feel like I got to know or understand what makes him tick. Very few insights into his religious convictions or the depth of his spirituality. The author is non-LDS and I think there is good value in having non-LDS authors write such bios for the sake of balance, but I think this one came up short for me.
                        Any reports on his distillery or whiskey street?
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                          Any reports on his distillery or whiskey street?
                          Not a single mention. Boo.

Focused very heavily on BY polygamy. And battles with the feds.
                          Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 03-08-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I find that stuff boring. I will refrain from reading the it. I find Whiskey Street to be a fascinating part of Utah's history. I'd love for one of these books to dig into it more.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

And Orson Pratt. Their rivalry was actually an interesting part of the book to me.

Comment

• Stumbled across this great BY quote today:

“...it is not the feeling of every heart to wish all persons to be just like ourselves—to wish the ideas and acts of our brethren to be precisely like ours; and yet we should not look upon ourselves as an infallible standard for others. It is no more natural for your lungs to expand and contract in breathing than it is for you to wish others to be like yourselves. … let us take a course to understand men as they are, and not endeavor to make them precisely as we are, for this you cannot do. I am myself; you are yourselves.”
                                http://jod.mrm.org/9/121

This is the kind of thing that was almost wholly missing from the Turner bio. BY was brash and bold and downright crazy at times, but he was also capable of great insights and wisdom and sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X