No announcement yet.

Workplace discrimination question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am trying to imagine a career where my job security and pay were not a result of my performance or actual worth, but a lawsuit I fired against my bosses. Sounds like a soul-crushing existence. Not surprised a lawyer suggested it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      So a guy with zero skin in the game knows some people who were able to successfully sue their employers? OK, I am convinced. Nothing could possibly go wrong.
      If that's the standard, then only one course of action is risk-free: Mr. Bean needs to start attending his Sunday meetings regularly, and probably procure a temple recommend.

In the course of my employment, I deal with these issues regularly. I don't think it's coincidence that the two people who are encouraging reporting are the two who likely deal with these issues on a regular basis.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        PS, you seem to be describing a company that's at least >20 companies, ie multiple officers of the company, separate HR function, etc. I'm kind of shocked any company that large would have a hiring plan of only hiring active LDS. My company never got bigger than six employees, and I'm based in Utah County, and it would have constrained me significantly to have a plan like that in place. Weird.
        This company has 700+ employees and most certainly does not have an "lds only" policy as there are many non-mormons that work here. This particular exec is just a dink and says stupid things, but has a lot of power here over promotions and firing. He could simply tell the ceo he doesn't like me (without stating anything illegal) and could easily get rid of me.

His antics are not representative of all, but there are some just like him.

Comment

I am trying to imagine a career where my job security and pay were not a result of my performance or actual worth, but a lawsuit I fired against my bosses. Sounds like a soul-crushing existence. Not surprised a lawyer suggested it.
          Easy for you to say. You're not a lawyer.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Do you like the job? If not, go hunting for something else. Sounds like the corporate culture is oppressive and you won't ever fit in there, regardless of how successful an HR claim and/or lawsuit may be. I don't want to discount the value of those things, they can be incredibly beneficial to a workplace environment. But often the main beneficiaries are those who come afterward while costing the complainer advancement opportunities as well as significant emotional and/or financial distress.

Life is too short to deal with that kind of nonsense. Vote with your feet.

Comment

Also, Mr. Bean are you a BYU or Utah fan?

Comment

Reporting it doesn't mean you file suit. An employer with 700 employees should have processes in place where you can report this type of misconduct. If the HR department has functioning brain cells they'll say, "Hey, executive, don't say stupid shit like this." And if he's not a complete moron, he'll agree.

Mr. Bean could also report this anonymously, or have a face to face with HR under the guise of "I don't want anyone to get in trouble, but can we encourage folks to avoid these type of conversations?"

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Do you like the job? If not, go hunting for something else. Sounds like the corporate culture is oppressive and you won't ever fit in there, regardless of how successful an HR claim and/or lawsuit may be. I don't want to discount the value of those things, they can be incredibly beneficial to a workplace environment. But often the main beneficiaries are those who come afterward while costing the complainer advancement opportunities as well as significant emotional and/or financial distress.

Byu fan through and through, I was 12 years old and in person when Ty took down Miami. It's in my DNA now, though I find provo somewhere below #7000 on my list of places I would like to live.

I have worked at this company for 16 years and was my first job out of byu. We were recently sold to a private equity firm and things are definitely different now. I actually like my job and get compensated above what I would likely get elsewhere so really don't want to leave.

I think I'll keep quiet for now but will keep records in case something happens.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Comment

What would you do if he likes his job? I imagine in the course of your career you've dealt with these type of issues regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                      Scientologists do this all the time to employees who become declared Suppressive Persons. Employers receive notification from the church that their employee is not in good standing, and then the employer starts documenting how the employee is screwing up. Then the boss and every other employee lie through their teeth about how bad the employee is. Commendations in personnel files disappear overnight. Paperwork is revised and postdated.

Scientology=Mormonism
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

This is great advice.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                          There is almost zero chance the other person in this meeting would stick his neck out for me if he were asked to confirm the events as i described them. If I did come forward, HR would likely interview both of them and both would surely vehemently deny it and it would be my word against 2. Doesn't seem like a fight worth taking up; unless I already have a landing spot ready to move on to. Sounds like it's time to start looking for a new job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                          Yes. Looking for a new job is definitely what you should do. I will say, however, in my experience it's rare that you would be the first to complain. Bosses that like this think they can say and do anything they want. Such power dynamic bullshit. More and more people are getting sick of it and speaking out. I understand your hesitancy, but you might just be doing something that saves your company and the people who work there, not to mention teaching your boss that douchebaggery is not good for business.

Comment

Two thoughts:

1. Litigation should never be taken lightly or with the expectation of an easy victory. It is expensive, time consuming and emotionally difficult and it takes on a life of its own. It can be necessary, but I lean to the Yohio view of its worth.

2. This is minor but I hope that when you say you email records to yourself you are not doing so on the company servers or with your work account. Keeping a log/diary of events is a great idea. Using the company server to email it to yourself is not a great follow-up, in my mind.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                              I have worked at this company for 16 years and was my first job out of byu. We were recently sold to a private equity firm and things are definitely different now. I actually like my job and get compensated above what I would likely get elsewhere so really don't want to leave.
                              Liking your work is a huge blessing that can't be overlooked. I'd advise against convincing yourself that you're overcompensated, let the marketplace do that for you in a job hunt. You may be surprised. Being at the same place for that long can bring a certain level of comfort and acceptance of bad behavior, particularly if you accept that you wouldn't be paid as much elsewhere.

Regardless, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                What would you do if he likes his job? I imagine in the course of your career you've dealt with these type of issues regularly.
                                I'd still go on the hunt. It's easier to get a new and satisfying job than fix a broken corporate culture from a powerless position.

Comment

Working...
                                X