Grounding electrical outlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding electrical outlets

So I'm replacing all of the electrical outlets that were put into my house back in 1966 when it was built with the newer style rectangular shaped outlets - in white.

What I find curious is that the current outlets have no third wire - usually a green one or bare copper - to go with the white and black ones. I have a tester that shows me if everything is hooked up right, including whether or not it detects a ground. I've verified that it works by plugging it into one of those extensions that lets you use a three-prong plug with a two-prong outlet and the little lights show a lack of ground. What I find strange is that I went ahead and hooked up the black and white wires as they were supposed to be, attached the outlet to the metal case around it, and my tester says that there is a ground.

Anybody here with an electrician background that can explain how screwing the outlet to the metal box is good enough for the ground?

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    So I'm replacing all of the electrical outlets that were put into my house back in 1966 when it was built with the newer style rectangular shaped outlets - in white.

What I find curious is that the current outlets have no third wire - usually a green one or bare copper - to go with the white and black ones. I have a tester that shows me if everything is hooked up right, including whether or not it detects a ground. I've verified that it works by plugging it into one of those extensions that lets you use a three-prong plug with a two-prong outlet and the little lights show a lack of ground. What I find strange is that I went ahead and hooked up the black and white wires as they were supposed to be, attached the outlet to the metal case around it, and my tester says that there is a ground.

Anybody here with an electrician background that can explain how screwing the outlet to the metal box is good enough for the ground?
    So are you saying that you attached a ground wire to metal outlet box and one of those cheap outlet testers is saying all is good? Maybe you have metal conduit in your house? If so, awesome. You could run new wiring if you wanted.

In older wiring neutral (white) and ground were usually the same... which wasn't a good idea especially if you want to add a GFI outlet.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

you’re probably going to have to wait for them to punch out to answer this, scott nelson.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Apparently I have metal conduit in the house. And at least I have copper wiring. Some of the houses this age have aluminum.

Comment

Working...
        X