Time to get serious about a new pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I need a back porch, badly. I've got an awesome front one now, but I need a real back porch, protected from the elements (currently it's snowing), on which to put all these fancy uni-taskers yall have.
    Oh no... you know what happened the last time it snowed up that way:

IslAtH8bFLPk8Ev2VG4xUJVERdWnKw2ZgOma-r4HsTw.jpg
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      Oh no... you know what happened the last time it snowed up that way:

[ATTACH]8510[/ATTACH]
      Well, it's stopped now. It gets down to `16F tonight, so we have a 2-hour delay in the morning to let the ice melt. And so poor kids don't freeze to death and their bus stops with temps in the teens before sunrise with no coats.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Had some leftover dough so we fired it up again last night. Big improvement in our dough slapping technique. Starting to get the hang of it.

My daughter came up with this next one. Olive oil, moz, figs, bacon, caramelized onions, gorgonzola, and arugula. It was incredible. Great blend of sweet and savory.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Dang that looks pretty good... My offer is still good to take that smoker, that is just taking up room in your garage, off your hands!
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            Need to include pics of the bottom of the pizzas ya noob.
            Bump.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

The arugula pizza looks super delish.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Ok, I cooked some steaks today with the sous vide and seared them in the new pizza oven. I used my new low profile cast iron pan and heated it to 675 degrees. I tossed on the steaks with a long set of tongs:

Things were popping and sizzling and smoking. Having never done this, I assumed that the radiant heat would sear the entire steak evenly, but after a bit I noticed that the bottoms were generating a more distinct crust. So I used the tongs to turn them over and then after another 30 second or so took them off. They definitely got seared:

There was still pink in the middle but they were more done than normal (my wife loved them, ha!). I think with this high heat you have to be really careful with the timing. If I were to do it again, I would use a lower temp, maybe 550 degrees and rotate them more quickly. On the other hand, if that is the case, then I don't see a real benefit over my portable Iwatani grill. That thing heats up in 2-3 minutes and does a great job. So I think I am going back to the Iwatani and will stick with pizzas for the pizza oven. This is the model I have (15,000 BTU):

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corpo...ywords=iwatani

Furthermore, I can use my new wider cast iron pan on the Iwatani and have more surface area for searing, so win-win.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Did a four-cheese white pizza last night. Outstanding.

Also I finally remembered to take photo of a bottom for Walter. From an Albuquerque special:

Comment

Outstanding.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

This thread is making me really sad I gave up pizza this year.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        That is really sad. I am so sorry to hear this.

Comment

Ack! Was this a new year's resolution? If so, this is almost as dumb as that yohio thread exerting everyone to be happy.

Comment

Dang. That is a very fine looking crust. Father's Day can't come soon enough!
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Dude, that is messed up!

Comment

Hang in there Husky.... just think about how skinny you'll be by summer and golf season, and you'll finally be able to fit in those lycra shorts you've been eyeing at Khol's.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X