Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time to get serious about a new pizza oven

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    I've been thinking about this lately and the whole idea of "wood-fired" pizza. At 700+ degrees and 2-minute cook times, I don't see how there can be any wood-fired "flavor" imparted to the pizza.
    Also, don't a lot of the most famous pizza places (in NY and elsewhere) use coal?

I guess "coal-fired" pizza doesn't quite have the marketing oomph as "wood-fired".
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Also, don't a lot of the most famous pizza places (in NY and elsewhere) use coal?

I guess "coal-fired" pizza doesn't quite have the marketing oomph as "wood-fired".
    Works for Grimaldis (it's truly the gold standard, folks).

Grimaldis.JPG

https://www.grimaldispizzeria.com/
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Works for Grimaldis (it's truly the gold standard, folks).

Grimaldis.JPG

https://www.grimaldispizzeria.com/
    Meh. Not that great, IMO.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Coal.

I rest my case.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

keste in the west village. yw.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Worlds colliding. Pulled pork pizza.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

To get Walter off my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Worlds colliding. Pulled pork pizza.

Nice. Next time you make that, try topping it with some French-fried onions and chopped dill pickles. Sounds weird, but it really rounds out the pizza.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Nice. Next time you make that, try topping it with some French-fried onions and chopped dill pickles. Sounds weird, but it really rounds out the pizza.
    Haha. Great minds think alike!

Haha. Great minds think alike!

Boom! Delicious. Well played, sir.

can you two just skip a step and wipe with the tricolore? tia
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Dude, I think I'm going to have the wife buy me the Blackstone for my birthday (I don't trust her to buy me anything golf related). I'm curious what accessories are needed with the oven. Does it come with a cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Dude, I think I'm going to have the wife buy me the Blackstone for my birthday (I don't trust her to buy me anything golf related). I'm curious what accessories are needed with the oven. Does it come with a cover?
    Cover is extra. I ordered both at the same time on Amazon.

I have been meaning to make a post with a description of required accessories. I will do that tonight!

OK, here we go. My list of accessories.

*** ESSENTIAL STUFF ***

1a. Wooden peel.

You need two peels: a wooden one for prepping the pizza and dropping on the stone and a metal one to adjust and remove the pizza from the oven. This also allows you to be prepping the next pizza on the wooden peel while someone is monitoring another pizza in the oven with the metal peel. Be careful with the size. This one works perfectly for the Blackstone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1b. Conditioning oil

To keep that peel conditioned, you will need some of this. Be sure to apply some before you use it for the first time.

2. Metal peel

This one is the perfect size (blackstone accessory).

3. Dough roller

You need this roll over the dough after laying it on the peel. Helps stop bubbles from forming.

4. Laser temp gage

I debated putting this in the optional category, but it is a very cool tool. This lets you know exactly how hot your stone is. I used to use this more until I got the hang of my oven. Now I can go by the oven temp gage. But not a bad tool to have around.

5. Scraper/brush

As you cook you will accumulate semolina from the crust on the stone. If you let it go too long, you will end up with burnt residue on the bottom of your pizza and it will start to taste nasty. Need to keep that stone clean. There are tons of options and I have tried several. Some are just too big. You don't have much room in the opening. You can get combo tools or two separate tools. I have finally settled on these two.

If you have a long-handled bbq turner with a square front edge, you could use that too.

6. Slicer

One of these if you don't already have one. Some people use the big blade thing but this works great and takes up less room.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-4-i...70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-24-2018 at 07:21 PM.

(continued...)

***OPTIONAL STUFF***

7. Aluminum pans

For serving/carrying your cooked pizzas.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...ords=pizza+pan

(or similar - tons of options)

8. poker (carving fork)

You get bubbles in the crust while cooking. Need something long to poke them.

https://www.amazon.com/Anolon-Stainl...s=carving+fork

9. Shakers

We have a couple of shakers similar to this. Super convenient for working with the dough and to apply semolina to the peel evenly. We use flour in one and semolina in the other.

https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Enduranc...70_&dpSrc=srch
    cast iron pan

Thanks for the suggestions . It looks like I can give my wife a list not only for my birthday, but Father’s Day and my anniversary.

Thanks for the suggestions . It looks like I can give my wife a list not only for my birthday, but Father’s Day and my anniversary.
    You (and your family) are going to love it. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to use and the pizza quality is outstanding.

Next I will make a post describing the overall process of making and cooking pizzas. There are a few little tricks that are nice to know.

Got the Blackstone assembled and I’m anxious to try it out tomorrow. Any pizza recipes or places to buy dough that don’t require a couple days of prep time?

Got the Blackstone assembled and I’m anxious to try it out tomorrow. Any pizza recipes or places to buy dough that don’t require a couple days of prep time?
    9132H-qL9EL._SY450_.jpg
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

If you hurry and whip up a batch of this tonight, it would be ok to go tomorrow night.

https://www.seriouseats.com/amp/reci...zza-dough.html

2-3 days is better, but it would work.

If you hurry and whip up a batch of this tonight, it would be ok to go tomorrow night.

https://www.seriouseats.com/amp/reci...zza-dough.html

2-3 days is better, but it would work.

Hey Art, I saw your pizza pics on FB. As promised, here are a few tips on making and cooking the pizzas.

1) Dough prep

As mentioned before, we have had great success with this recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...zza-dough.html

A single batch makes 3 pizzas. We typically do a single or double batch. After mixing the dough and letting it sit a while, we form into balls and put into these cheap ziplock containers:

https://ziploc.com/en/products/conta...rs-large-round

Just spray with a little pam first. Then put them in the fridge. You should wait at least one day, but 2-3 days is ideal. You can use them up to about 5 days max.

1-2 hours before doing your cook, take the dough out of the fridge and set the containers on the counters to come to room temp. Otherwise, the dough will not relax and you will not be able to stretch.

2) Heating the oven

Fire up your oven before slapping the dough. It only takes 10-15 minutes to heat up. Be sure to remember to turn on the motor that rotates the stone.

The temp is the critical thing here. The proper temp depends on the dough recipe you are using. If you get it too hot, the bottom of the crust will be burnt before the toppings are done. If you are not hot enough, the cheese will turn to goo before the bottom of the crust is done. For the Blackstone, you want to temp dial on the hood to be straight up (vertical). That will give you a stone temp of around 550-600 degrees. I used to monitor the stone temp, but now I just look at that temp gage on the hood. Keep it vertical and you are golden.

To get it to the right temp, you will want to have the fuel dial about 2/3 of the way on. I like to turn it on to max and then back it off until you can audibly notice the gas pressure go down some. Just play with it and you will get to where you can nail it on the first try. It adjusts pretty quickly if you get off, so don't sweat it too much.

3) Dough slapping

This is the trickiest part but you will pick it up very quickly. First of all, prep your countertop some semolina and have both semolina and flour ready. Then follow this technique as closely as you can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abkf...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scI7dnOkX_Q

You are shooting for about 13 inches wide. When you are done drop it on your wooden peel that has been prepped with a thin layer of semolina. <- This is very important. If you put it directly on the peel, it won't slide off.

Then run over the dough a few times with the plastic dough roller I linked about in the accessories post. This helps prevent bubbles from forming.

4) Toppings

This isn't rocket science so I won't say too much. First of all, after adding sauce I often like to put a thin layer of parmesan cheese before putting on the moz. Gives it a better flavor.

Also, a common rookie mistake is to get carried away with topping qualities. Sometimes less is more.

5) Cooking

After you get the pizza prepped, cook it as soon as you can so that it doesn't stick to the peel. Before you put the pizza on the stone, shake the peel back and forth horizontally to ensure that the pizza is not stuck and it sliding easily on the peel. Then you just hold your breath, stick the peel in the oven and give it a good shake to get the pizza started on the stone and then quickly withdraw the peel. You have to do it quickly because the stone is turning (I guess you could turn it off for a second). You will quickly get the hang of it.

If you are not centered, just wait 30-60 seconds for the crust to start to brown and then re-center the pizza using your metal peel. Keep a poker handy and pop any bubbles that form. When it starts looking done, check the bottom of the crust. It should have brown leopard spots. Be sure to take a pic or Walter will harass you mercilessly.

Total cook time is typically about 3 minutes. Remove pizza using the metal peel.

6) Cleaning the stone.

Between pizzas, you will want to use the scraper and brush I linked in the accessories post (or something similar) to scrape off the burnt semolina. If too much accumulates, it starts to impact the flavor.

Be aware that you will likely drip a little grease or burning semolina on the ground under your oven. We have pavers in our backyard and we got some stains. Now we use a big rubber mat under and in front of the oven to prevent problems.

Anyway, that is all I can think of at the moment. Have fun!!

Hey Art, I saw your pizza pics on FB. As promised, here are a few tips on making and cooking the pizzas.

1) Dough prep

As mentioned before, we have had great success with this recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...zza-dough.html

A single batch makes 3 pizzas. We typically do a single or double batch. After mixing the dough and letting it sit a while, we form into balls and put into these cheap ziplock containers:

https://ziploc.com/en/products/conta...rs-large-round

Just spray with a little pam first. Then put them in the fridge. You should wait at least one day, but 2-3 days is ideal. You can use them up to about 5 days max.

1-2 hours before doing your cook, take the dough out of the fridge and set the containers on the counters to come to room temp. Otherwise, the dough will not relax and you will not be able to stretch.

2) Heating the oven

Fire up your oven before slapping the dough. It only takes 10-15 minutes to heat up. Be sure to remember to turn on the motor that rotates the stone.

The temp is the critical thing here. The proper temp depends on the dough recipe you are using. If you get it too hot, the bottom of the crust will be burnt before the toppings are done. If you are not hot enough, the cheese will turn to goo before the bottom of the crust is done. For the Blackstone, you want to temp dial on the hood to be straight up (vertical). That will give you a stone temp of around 550-600 degrees. I used to monitor the stone temp, but now I just look at that temp gage on the hood. Keep it vertical and you are golden.

To get it to the right temp, you will want to have the fuel dial about 2/3 of the way on. I like to turn it on to max and then back it off until you can audibly notice the gas pressure go down some. Just play with it and you will get to where you can nail it on the first try. It adjusts pretty quickly if you get off, so don't sweat it too much.

3) Dough slapping

This is the trickiest part but you will pick it up very quickly. First of all, prep your countertop some semolina and have both semolina and flour ready. Then follow this technique as closely as you can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abkf...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scI7dnOkX_Q

You are shooting for about 13 inches wide. When you are done drop it on your wooden peel that has been prepped with a thin layer of semolina. <- This is very important. If you put it directly on the peel, it won't slide off.

Then run over the dough a few times with the plastic dough roller I linked about in the accessories post. This helps prevent bubbles from forming.

4) Toppings

This isn't rocket science so I won't say too much. First of all, after adding sauce I often like to put a thin layer of parmesan cheese before putting on the moz. Gives it a better flavor.

Also, a common rookie mistake is to get carried away with topping qualities. Sometimes less is more.

5) Cooking

After you get the pizza prepped, cook it as soon as you can so that it doesn't stick to the peel. Before you put the pizza on the stone, shake the peel back and forth horizontally to ensure that the pizza is not stuck and it sliding easily on the peel. Then you just hold your breath, stick the peel in the oven and give it a good shake to get the pizza started on the stone and then quickly withdraw the peel. You have to do it quickly because the stone is turning (I guess you could turn it off for a second). You will quickly get the hang of it.

If you are not centered, just wait 30-60 seconds for the crust to start to brown and then re-center the pizza using your metal peel. Keep a poker handy and pop any bubbles that form. When it starts looking done, check the bottom of the crust. It should have brown leopard spots. Be sure to take a pic or Walter will harass you mercilessly.

Total cook time is typically about 3 minutes. Remove pizza using the metal peel.

6) Cleaning the stone.

Between pizzas, you will want to use the scraper and brush I linked in the accessories post (or something similar) to scrape off the burnt semolina. If too much accumulates, it starts to impact the flavor.

Be aware that you will likely drip a little grease or burning semolina on the ground under your oven. We have pavers in our backyard and we got some stains. Now we use a big rubber mat under and in front of the oven to prevent problems.

Anyway, that is all I can think of at the moment. Have fun!!
    Thanks for all the info. The cooking process was easier than i expected. The dough making was much longer and more involved, than i anticipated (didn't realize it was best to start 3 days ahead of time). The dough tossing- yeah, I suck at that. I'm going to try it again, today.

Good idea on getting some rubber mats. I already had a couple small stains on the patio from where I've dripped taking stuff on and off the Traeger or the BBQ. I don't need to add to the mess.

My wife isn't a fan of marinara or typical pizza sauce. Anyone have a favorite white sauce?