Time to get serious about a new pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Anyone have an Ooni? I'd like a pizza oven and love the idea of a wood pellet oven since I already have pellets and looks like it can get over 800 degrees in 15 minutes. Seems like a pain to have to rotate the pizza on your own but I guess that's typical unless you spend more money.

https://ooni.com/collections/ovens/products/ooni-fyra
    They seem pretty cool. I don’t think rotating would be that big of a deal.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      They seem pretty cool. I don’t think rotating would be that big of a deal.
      Yeah. You probably don't need to flip it around more than once. Not that bad.

The toughest thing is getting it in there when it is still dough if you didn't use enough flower in the dough or didn't put enough cornmeal down to prevent it from sticking. The dough hardens up some by the time you rotate it.

Comment

I got an Ooni Fyra for Christmas and have now done 4 or 5 cooks on it. On the plus side, it's really portable, and you could take it camping or on a picnic really easily. The rolling fire inside is fun to watch and gives it a backyard wood fired feel. There's a bit of a learning curve to getting the pellets going and the hopper full but not too full too quickly, and I feel like I have that down. In cold wet temps last night, it took about 25 minutes to get to 900 degrees--that probably goes faster at lower elevation and higher temps. And the pizza is fantastic--if nothing else, the dough recipe they include is the best combo of ease and goodness that I've found.

On the other hand though--it has a hard time keeping temps up. As the pellet tray fills up with burned and partially burned pellets, it's hard to keep a good rolling flame going and the temp high. By the fifth pie last night, it was in the 600s. Still good enough for good pizza, but it's really a different cook then, with a different ideal dough (and at that point, I can do it in my indoor oven, so what's the point?). And the whole production can get pretty smoky.

So I took advantage of their return policy and turned it in. I think I may go for the koda or the roccbox. Wood-fired is fun and cool, but I think propane is just more practical.

Anyone else playing around with an outdoor oven?
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Still loving my blackstone oven. Did five pizzas last night and they were all perfect.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            I got an Ooni Fyra for Christmas and have now done 4 or 5 cooks on it. On the plus side, it's really portable, and you could take it camping or on a picnic really easily. The rolling fire inside is fun to watch and gives it a backyard wood fired feel. There's a bit of a learning curve to getting the pellets going and the hopper full but not too full too quickly, and I feel like I have that down. In cold wet temps last night, it took about 25 minutes to get to 900 degrees--that probably goes faster at lower elevation and higher temps. And the pizza is fantastic--if nothing else, the dough recipe they include is the best combo of ease and goodness that I've found.

On the other hand though--it has a hard time keeping temps up. As the pellet tray fills up with burned and partially burned pellets, it's hard to keep a good rolling flame going and the temp high. By the fifth pie last night, it was in the 600s. Still good enough for good pizza, but it's really a different cook then, with a different ideal dough (and at that point, I can do it in my indoor oven, so what's the point?). And the whole production can get pretty smoky.

So I took advantage of their return policy and turned it in. I think I may go for the koda or the roccbox. Wood-fired is fun and cool, but I think propane is just more practical.

Anyone else playing around with an outdoor oven?
            I don't have the Ooni per se, but a very similar looking oven from a Traeger offshoot company. I've made decent pizzas twice, but I can't keep the temp above 700 and it drops quickly. Mrs. NWC got it as a father's day present, but she's seen the hassle it is trying to keep a stable temp. Maybe I can nudge her this year for a better one...
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

You guys need to monitor your local Craig's List for a Blackstone pizza oven. Still rocking fantastic pizzas with mine. Works beautifully.

Comment

local craig's list, lol

Comment

Did Blackstone ever publish why they discontinued production?
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Did Blackstone ever publish why they discontinued production?
                    They said they were working on a new model. Then a year or so ago they started selling them again. Looked exactly like the one I have but the price went from $275 to $400+. Then recently they stopped selling them again. It is a grand mystery.

Comment

Working...
                    X