Time to get serious about a new pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get serious about a new pizza oven

OK, I know we have a pizza thread, but I wanted to have a thread dedicated to the gear, not the product. Kind of like we have a smoker thread, but then separate threads for brisket, ribs, etc.

I have a buddy who owns several pizza ovens, including an $8000 wood-fired oven he pulls on a trailer. His pizza is great. On his recommendation, I bought a Blackstone Patio Oven last week.

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/product/pizza-oven/

Runs on propane. The bottom stone rotates to distribute the heat from the propane flame evenly and there is another stone on top. Gets up to 800 degrees or more.

I figured it up for the first time last night and it got to 675 degrees in 10 minutes!

Cooked the first set of pizzas last night. Made the dough from scratch. Cooked in 3 minutes. Fabulous.

A few pics. Don't laugh, we are total amateurs on tossing/slapping the dough at this point. But they tasted great.

Can't believe how easy it is. Looking forward to getting more experience and trying different things.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

you know what they say, can’t be a great dough slapper without slapping the dough a lot
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

One nice benefit of this device is that it is not limited to pizza. I intend to use it to sear steaks, etc. from the sous vide. If I can get it to 675 degrees in 10 minutes, it will be perfect for searing steaks. Toss them in there for 30-60 seconds.

You definitely would not want to cook steaks on the stone, so most people use cast iron. I have ordered one of these:

It will be tight, but I think it will fit and still be able to rotate.

Get that baby hot and toss on the steaks with a pair of tongs. Going to try it out this coming weekend. Will return and report.
      Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 01-16-2018, 03:03 PM.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

That looks nice. You know, I have a feeling there are a lot of us living on the tip top of Maslow's Pyramid...
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Hey, now that you moved on to pizza ovens... can I have your smoker?
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Hey, now that you moved on to pizza ovens... can I have your smoker?
            Uh .... no.

Comment

That thing is awesome. Mrs. D and I were just talking this weekend about how I've always insisted on working a brick pizza oven into our backyard design (and how unrealistic she thinks that is). Maybe this is the solution.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

We have good friends in our ward who recently did a tear down/rebuild across the street from us. They both served missions in Italy and as part of their home they built a wood fired pizza oven in the back yard. We’ve been over a few times for pizza-nite and have thoroughly enjoyed their offerings. Temps get over 800 and the pizza is done in minutes. He will close the door to the oven after a Saturday cook and let the temp drop overnights to 400 or so and then put in a roast for Sunday the next morning.

I’m intrigued enough that if we ever do something I’ll likely do the wood fired option.
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

We went with the PizzaCraft PizzaQue PC6500.

It is a little more compact than the one shown above. We did buy the leg set too. It doesn't have any rotating stones. Took some time to get the temperature right, but seems to do the job.
                  Last edited by beefytee; 06-18-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                    We have good friends in our ward who recently did a tear down/rebuild across the street from us. They both served missions in Italy and as part of their home they built a wood fired pizza oven in the back yard. We’ve been over a few times for pizza-nite and have thoroughly enjoyed their offerings. Temps get over 800 and the pizza is done in minutes. He will close the door to the oven after a Saturday cook and let the temp drop overnights to 400 or so and then put in a roast for Sunday the next morning.

I’m intrigued enough that if we ever do something I’ll likely do the wood fired option.
                    Built-in wood-fired ovens are fantastic. Some are really beautiful too. That would be really fun to have in the backyard.

That being said, one of the things I like about this oven is the ease of use. My buddy's wood-fired oven takes about an hour to heat up. With this one, I turn the dial and push a button and wait 10 minutes. Ready to go. No messing with wood, etc. Low cost of entry also.

My friend has two of these Blackstone ovens in addition to the big oven.

Comment

Need to include pics of the bottom of the pizzas ya noob.
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                        Need to include pics of the bottom of the pizzas ya noob.
                        Haha. Duly noted.

Hey, I was thinking about you when we were cooking. I bet this thing would be great for artisan breads.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Haha. Duly noted.

Hey, I was thinking about you when we were cooking. I bet this thing would be great for artisan breads.
                          Maybe. I suggested this to my wife as a present for Father's Day. So perhaps I can try it out this summer.
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I am torn between the Blackstone patio oven and the Uuni 3 or Uuni Pro. I think price wise, the Uuni 3 and Blackstone are more comparable, but i like that the Uuni Pro is larger than the Uuni3 and is multi-fuel capable. When I am back to eating carbs again i'll take a closer look at these. For now I am on a ketogenic diet.

[YOUTUBE]fN97aKUEfpQ[/YOUTUBE]
                            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

I need a back porch, badly. I've got an awesome front one now, but I need a real back porch, protected from the elements (currently it's snowing), on which to put all these fancy uni-taskers yall have.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                              X