No announcement yet.

Time to get serious about a new pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the suggestions . It looks like I can give my wife a list not only for my birthday, but Father’s Day and my anniversary.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Thanks for the suggestions . It looks like I can give my wife a list not only for my birthday, but Father’s Day and my anniversary.
      You (and your family) are going to love it. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to use and the pizza quality is outstanding.

Next I will make a post describing the overall process of making and cooking pizzas. There are a few little tricks that are nice to know.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Got the Blackstone assembled and I’m anxious to try it out tomorrow. Any pizza recipes or places to buy dough that don’t require a couple days of prep time?

Comment

Got the Blackstone assembled and I’m anxious to try it out tomorrow. Any pizza recipes or places to buy dough that don’t require a couple days of prep time?
          9132H-qL9EL._SY450_.jpg
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

If you hurry and whip up a batch of this tonight, it would be ok to go tomorrow night.

https://www.seriouseats.com/amp/reci...zza-dough.html

2-3 days is better, but it would work.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              If you hurry and whip up a batch of this tonight, it would be ok to go tomorrow night.

https://www.seriouseats.com/amp/reci...zza-dough.html

2-3 days is better, but it would work.
              [emoji1303]

Comment

Hey Art, I saw your pizza pics on FB. As promised, here are a few tips on making and cooking the pizzas.

1) Dough prep

As mentioned before, we have had great success with this recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...zza-dough.html

A single batch makes 3 pizzas. We typically do a single or double batch. After mixing the dough and letting it sit a while, we form into balls and put into these cheap ziplock containers:

https://ziploc.com/en/products/conta...rs-large-round

Just spray with a little pam first. Then put them in the fridge. You should wait at least one day, but 2-3 days is ideal. You can use them up to about 5 days max.

1-2 hours before doing your cook, take the dough out of the fridge and set the containers on the counters to come to room temp. Otherwise, the dough will not relax and you will not be able to stretch.

2) Heating the oven

Fire up your oven before slapping the dough. It only takes 10-15 minutes to heat up. Be sure to remember to turn on the motor that rotates the stone.

The temp is the critical thing here. The proper temp depends on the dough recipe you are using. If you get it too hot, the bottom of the crust will be burnt before the toppings are done. If you are not hot enough, the cheese will turn to goo before the bottom of the crust is done. For the Blackstone, you want to temp dial on the hood to be straight up (vertical). That will give you a stone temp of around 550-600 degrees. I used to monitor the stone temp, but now I just look at that temp gage on the hood. Keep it vertical and you are golden.

To get it to the right temp, you will want to have the fuel dial about 2/3 of the way on. I like to turn it on to max and then back it off until you can audibly notice the gas pressure go down some. Just play with it and you will get to where you can nail it on the first try. It adjusts pretty quickly if you get off, so don't sweat it too much.

3) Dough slapping

This is the trickiest part but you will pick it up very quickly. First of all, prep your countertop some semolina and have both semolina and flour ready. Then follow this technique as closely as you can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abkf...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scI7dnOkX_Q

You are shooting for about 13 inches wide. When you are done drop it on your wooden peel that has been prepped with a thin layer of semolina. <- This is very important. If you put it directly on the peel, it won't slide off.

Then run over the dough a few times with the plastic dough roller I linked about in the accessories post. This helps prevent bubbles from forming.

4) Toppings

This isn't rocket science so I won't say too much. First of all, after adding sauce I often like to put a thin layer of parmesan cheese before putting on the moz. Gives it a better flavor.

Also, a common rookie mistake is to get carried away with topping qualities. Sometimes less is more.

5) Cooking

After you get the pizza prepped, cook it as soon as you can so that it doesn't stick to the peel. Before you put the pizza on the stone, shake the peel back and forth horizontally to ensure that the pizza is not stuck and it sliding easily on the peel. Then you just hold your breath, stick the peel in the oven and give it a good shake to get the pizza started on the stone and then quickly withdraw the peel. You have to do it quickly because the stone is turning (I guess you could turn it off for a second). You will quickly get the hang of it.

If you are not centered, just wait 30-60 seconds for the crust to start to brown and then re-center the pizza using your metal peel. Keep a poker handy and pop any bubbles that form. When it starts looking done, check the bottom of the crust. It should have brown leopard spots. Be sure to take a pic or Walter will harass you mercilessly.

Total cook time is typically about 3 minutes. Remove pizza using the metal peel.

6) Cleaning the stone.

Between pizzas, you will want to use the scraper and brush I linked in the accessories post (or something similar) to scrape off the burnt semolina. If too much accumulates, it starts to impact the flavor.

Be aware that you will likely drip a little grease or burning semolina on the ground under your oven. We have pavers in our backyard and we got some stains. Now we use a big rubber mat under and in front of the oven to prevent problems.

Anyway, that is all I can think of at the moment. Have fun!!

Comment

Hey Art, I saw your pizza pics on FB. As promised, here are a few tips on making and cooking the pizzas.

1) Dough prep

A single batch makes 3 pizzas. We typically do a single or double batch. After mixing the dough and letting it sit a while, we form into balls and put into these cheap ziplock containers:

Just spray with a little pam first. Then put them in the fridge. You should wait at least one day, but 2-3 days is ideal. You can use them up to about 5 days max.

1-2 hours before doing your cook, take the dough out of the fridge and set the containers on the counters to come to room temp. Otherwise, the dough will not relax and you will not be able to stretch.

2) Heating the oven

Fire up your oven before slapping the dough. It only takes 10-15 minutes to heat up. Be sure to remember to turn on the motor that rotates the stone.

The temp is the critical thing here. The proper temp depends on the dough recipe you are using. If you get it too hot, the bottom of the crust will be burnt before the toppings are done. If you are not hot enough, the cheese will turn to goo before the bottom of the crust is done. For the Blackstone, you want to temp dial on the hood to be straight up (vertical). That will give you a stone temp of around 550-600 degrees. I used to monitor the stone temp, but now I just look at that temp gage on the hood. Keep it vertical and you are golden.

To get it to the right temp, you will want to have the fuel dial about 2/3 of the way on. I like to turn it on to max and then back it off until you can audibly notice the gas pressure go down some. Just play with it and you will get to where you can nail it on the first try. It adjusts pretty quickly if you get off, so don't sweat it too much.

3) Dough slapping

This is the trickiest part but you will pick it up very quickly. First of all, prep your countertop some semolina and have both semolina and flour ready. Then follow this technique as closely as you can:

You are shooting for about 13 inches wide. When you are done drop it on your wooden peel that has been prepped with a thin layer of semolina. <- This is very important. If you put it directly on the peel, it won't slide off.

Then run over the dough a few times with the plastic dough roller I linked about in the accessories post. This helps prevent bubbles from forming.

4) Toppings

This isn't rocket science so I won't say too much. First of all, after adding sauce I often like to put a thin layer of parmesan cheese before putting on the moz. Gives it a better flavor.

Also, a common rookie mistake is to get carried away with topping qualities. Sometimes less is more.

5) Cooking

After you get the pizza prepped, cook it as soon as you can so that it doesn't stick to the peel. Before you put the pizza on the stone, shake the peel back and forth horizontally to ensure that the pizza is not stuck and it sliding easily on the peel. Then you just hold your breath, stick the peel in the oven and give it a good shake to get the pizza started on the stone and then quickly withdraw the peel. You have to do it quickly because the stone is turning (I guess you could turn it off for a second). You will quickly get the hang of it.

If you are not centered, just wait 30-60 seconds for the crust to start to brown and then re-center the pizza using your metal peel. Keep a poker handy and pop any bubbles that form. When it starts looking done, check the bottom of the crust. It should have brown leopard spots. Be sure to take a pic or Walter will harass you mercilessly.

Total cook time is typically about 3 minutes. Remove pizza using the metal peel.

6) Cleaning the stone.

Between pizzas, you will want to use the scraper and brush I linked in the accessories post (or something similar) to scrape off the burnt semolina. If too much accumulates, it starts to impact the flavor.

Be aware that you will likely drip a little grease or burning semolina on the ground under your oven. We have pavers in our backyard and we got some stains. Now we use a big rubber mat under and in front of the oven to prevent problems.

Thanks for all the info. The cooking process was easier than i expected. The dough making was much longer and more involved, than i anticipated (didn't realize it was best to start 3 days ahead of time). The dough tossing- yeah, I suck at that. I'm going to try it again, today.

Good idea on getting some rubber mats. I already had a couple small stains on the patio from where I've dripped taking stuff on and off the Traeger or the BBQ. I don't need to add to the mess.

My wife isn't a fan of marinara or typical pizza sauce. Anyone have a favorite white sauce?

Comment

Dude,

Any recommendations as to what cast iron griddle to get? I’m want to sear steaks after I pull them off the Traeger.

Comment

antique griswold ya nerd
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Was looking to get this for my Dad for his upcoming birthday. Blackstone has discontinued this product. Effing Russians.
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          Was looking to get this for my Dad for his upcoming birthday. Blackstone has discontinued this product. Effing Russians.
                          Yeah that sucks. They say they are going to redesign and release a new model at some point in the future but nothing certain.

Comment

1) Dough prep

2) Heating the oven

3) Dough slapping

4) Toppings

5) Cooking

6) Cleaning the stone.

Any updates to either the recipe or the process?
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              Any updates to either the recipe or the process?
                              The only change is that we rarely make the dough anymore. We usually buy dough balls from a local restaurant (Nicos). $3.50 each. They are really good and you don’t have to go to all the work to make the dough two days in advance. Most pizza restaurants will sell dough.

Comment

Anyone have an Ooni? I'd like a pizza oven and love the idea of a wood pellet oven since I already have pellets and looks like it can get over 800 degrees in 15 minutes. Seems like a pain to have to rotate the pizza on your own but I guess that's typical unless you spend more money.

https://ooni.com/collections/ovens/products/ooni-fyra
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X