9 AM Press Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Nobody on this board could be a bigger DFU fan than me, but I didn't see this as any kind of symbolic swipe against his popularity or progressive nature. DHO is next in line to be the prophet. Makes total sense to put him in the presidency. Anyone who sees any meaning beyond that is looking to stir up drama.

That being said, the biggest downside of this is that we will likely get to hear fewer DFU talks in GC. Bummer. DHO talks are a little too legalistic for my tastes.
    It's hard to imagine that he'll just fade into the background. He remains a great ambassador and influence. His worldwide devotional on Sunday is a great example of that. I think we'll see plenty of DFU in the coming months and years.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      so uh, what were their answers to the LGBT question and the PFS question?
      [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=u1qL2aWgcJ0[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

My favorite DHO quote is this: "It's wrong to criticize church leaders even if the criticism is true."

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
          It's hard to imagine that he'll just fade into the background. He remains a great ambassador and influence. His worldwide devotional on Sunday is a great example of that. I think we'll see plenty of DFU in the coming months and years.
          Absolutely.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Nobody on this board could be a bigger DFU fan than me, but I didn't see this as any kind of symbolic swipe against his popularity or progressive nature. DHO is next in line to be the prophet. Makes total sense to put him in the presidency. Anyone who sees any meaning beyond that is looking to stir up drama.

That being said, the biggest downside of this is that we will likely get to hear fewer DFU talks in GC. Bummer. DHO talks are a little too legalistic for my tastes.
            It's happened only once in the last 100 years over 16 data points. And he replaced the guy that's universally known as the most Progressive with the one that's universally known as the most hardliner. And anyone who thinks it means anything is looking to stir up drama? Sorry, disagree.

Comment

I don't see anything nefarious about the change. But if this was a move solely to get DHO ready to be prophet, why not move Eyring out and keep Uchtdorf in? I doubt many people would be upset about that. I suspect that if shaking up the counselors was a deliberate choice to get DHO in, keeping Erying might represent wanting counselors who are more akin to Nelson philosophically. And if Oaks/Erying is closer with Nelson on the LGBT issue, I don't think it's a stretch to consider that it might have played some role in that decision.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                It's happened only once in the last 100 years over 16 data points. And he replaced the guy that's universally known as the most Progressive with the one that's universally known as the most hardliner. And anyone who thinks it means anything is looking to stir up drama? Sorry, disagree.
                Step off the ledge, Jay. This is the 6th time in the last 100 years.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  I don't see anything nefarious about the change. But if this was a move solely to get DHO ready to be prophet, why not move Eyring out and keep Uchtdorf in? I doubt many people would be upset about that. I suspect that if shaking up the counselors was a deliberate choice to get DHO in, keeping Erying might represent wanting counselors who are more akin to Nelson philosophically. And if Oaks/Erying is closer with Nelson on the LGBT issue, I don't think it's a stretch to consider that it might have played some role in that decision.
                  It is unlikely that the LDS Church will soften unless Oaks's hardline simply represented doing Monson's work as a designate.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    So the whole thing was conspired to get a hardcore anti-LGBT crew in charge? Good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                      Certainly the smartest presidency ever to serve.
                      True, but also the oldest. Hopefully the prayers of all the members will give them plenty of vim and vigor.
                      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Step off the ledge, Jay. This is the 6th time in the last 100 years.
                        Only once has a previous counselor got dropped out of 16 data points. Hugh B. Brown snubbed by Joseph Fielding Smith. Two if you include Marion G. Romney, but he was not functioning health wise.

Comment

Only once has a previous counselor got dropped out of 16 data points. Hugh B. Brown snubbed by Joseph Fielding Smith. Two if you include Marion G. Romney, but he was not functioning health wise.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

So the whole thing was conspired to get a hardcore anti-LGBT crew in charge? Good grief.
                            Um, no. I didn't say that. And I started off by saying I don't suspect anything nefarious. I am suggesting that when a counselor is called, you can't discount shared personality and philosophical considerations. If Oaks and Eyring are closer to Nelson on the LGBT (and other) issues, that might have impacted Nelson leaving Erying in as opposed to keeping Uchtforf.

It doesn't take a 'conspiracy' to explain at least some of the choices church presidents make. Hell, if it's anything like what we see in the church in general, it isn't hard to fathom that church presidents are also moved by personal preferences.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Sorry, I miscounted. Five times.

Hugh B. Brown, First Counselor to David O. McKay, not retained as a counselor by Joseph Fielding Smith
                              Thorpe B. Isaacson and Alvin R. Dyer, Counselors to David O. McKay, not retained as counselors by Joseph Fielding Smith
                              Marion G. Romney, First Counselor to Spencer W. Kimball, not retained as a counselor by Ezra Taft Benson
                              Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor to Thomas S. Monson, not retained as a counselor by Russell M. Nelson

What is so sacrosanct about being a member of the FP? The prior FP members were selected by a prior president. Each president should have complete discretion in terms of who he selects. And why does the selection of one person have to be interpreted as some kind of insult or repudiation on another person?

Sorry, but the prog-mo drama on this I am seeing right now on social media makes me want to barf.

Comment

Sorry, I miscounted. Five times.

Hugh B. Brown, First Counselor to David O. McKay, not retained as a counselor by Joseph Fielding Smith
                                Thorpe B. Isaacson and Alvin R. Dyer, Counselors to David O. McKay, not retained as counselors by Joseph Fielding Smith
                                Marion G. Romney, First Counselor to Spencer W. Kimball, not retained as a counselor by Ezra Taft Benson
                                Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor to Thomas S. Monson, not retained as a counselor by Russell M. Nelson

What is so sacrosanct about being a member of the FP? The prior FP members were selected by a prior president. Each president should have complete discretion in terms of who he selects. And why does the selection of one person have to be interpreted as some kind of insult or repudiation on another person?

Sorry, but the prog-mo drama on this I am seeing right now on social media makes me want to barf.
                                Isaacson and Dyer weren't real counselors. They were assistants to counselors.

Comment

Working...
                                X