X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJF View Post
    Right out of the gate.
    Yep. Was just going to say that.

I think these questions are going to continue coming at them.

Comment

This is a dynamic we don't usually get to see-- three church leaders, sitting at a table, just discussing an issue. Kind of interesting.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
        Yep. Was just going to say that.

I think these questions are going to continue coming at them.
        What was asked?

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
          This is a dynamic we don't usually get to see-- three church leaders, sitting at a table, just discussing an issue. Kind of interesting.
          Interesting in a horrific way, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            What was asked?
            First question out of the gate was how the Church was going to handle LGBT issues under the new Presidency.

3rd question was from Peggy Fletcher Stack. She basically asked "You all are white men from America. How are women and people of color going to be represented in this new Presidency."

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              What was asked?
              How this presidency would address the LBGT issues.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Great news.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                  First question out of the gate was how the Church was going to handle LGBT issues under the new Presidency.

3rd question was from Peggy Fletcher Stack. She basically asked "You all are white men from America. How are women and people of color going to be represented in this new Presidency."
                  IMO, there will be no digression on the progress that has been made. If I believe these men are called of God (and I do) thing will continue to progress and move in a positive direction. Maybe not as quickly as I would like in some areas. We are not going back to 1975 views and mores -- well unless you attend BYU-I.

Comment

The last thing this first presidency needs is a moderating influence.

Go hard or go home!

Comment

Is this for real? I found this back in 2007. Not sure if this is accurately documented.

Forum: The church has said it neither promotes nor opposes capital punishment. It says it “opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience.” It does not oppose removing a medical patient from “artificial means of life support.” Different denominations deal differently with questions about life’s origins and development. Conservative denominations tend to have more trouble with Darwinian evolution. Does the church have an official position on this topic?

Nelson: We believe that God is our creator and that he has created other forms of life. It’s interesting to me, drawing on my 40 years experience as a medical doctor, how similar those species are. We developed open-heart surgery, for example, experimenting on lower animals simply because the same creator made the human being. We owe a lot to those lower species. But to think that man evolved from one species to another is, to me, incomprehensible.

Forum: Why is that?

Nelson: Man has always been man. Dogs have always been dogs. Monkeys have always been monkeys. It’s just the way genetics works.

Wickman: The Scripture describing the Lord as the creator of all of these things says very little about how it was done. I don’t know of anybody in the ranks of the First Presidency and the Twelve [Apostles] who has ever spent much time worrying about this matter of evolution.

Nelson: We have this doctrine, recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 101: “When the Lord shall come again, he shall reveal all things, things which have passed, hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth by which it was made and the purpose and the end thereof, things most precious, things that are above, things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, upon the earth, and in heaven.” So as I close that quotation, I realize that there are just some things that we won’t know until that day.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                        I've been a highly unorthodox yet fiercely loyal and optimistic member for a long time. Not trying to be dramatic but this is the first time I've felt a little hopeless and dark about the future of the church. Feels like a punch to the stomach. It wasn't done without meaning. This has only happened once in the last 100 years. Uchtdorf is very popular and is viewed as being the most progressive of the bunch.
                        Nobody on this board could be a bigger DFU fan than me, but I didn't see this as any kind of symbolic swipe against his popularity or progressive nature. DHO is next in line to be the prophet. Makes total sense to put him in the presidency. Anyone who sees any meaning beyond that is looking to stir up drama.

That being said, the biggest downside of this is that we will likely get to hear fewer DFU talks in GC. Bummer. DHO talks are a little too legalistic for my tastes.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                          Is this for real? I found this back in 2007. Not sure if this is accurately documented.

Forum: The church has said it neither promotes nor opposes capital punishment. It says it “opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience.” It does not oppose removing a medical patient from “artificial means of life support.” Different denominations deal differently with questions about life’s origins and development. Conservative denominations tend to have more trouble with Darwinian evolution. Does the church have an official position on this topic?

Nelson: We believe that God is our creator and that he has created other forms of life. It’s interesting to me, drawing on my 40 years experience as a medical doctor, how similar those species are. We developed open-heart surgery, for example, experimenting on lower animals simply because the same creator made the human being. We owe a lot to those lower species. But to think that man evolved from one species to another is, to me, incomprehensible.

Forum: Why is that?

Nelson: Man has always been man. Dogs have always been dogs. Monkeys have always been monkeys. It’s just the way genetics works.

Wickman: The Scripture describing the Lord as the creator of all of these things says very little about how it was done. I don’t know of anybody in the ranks of the First Presidency and the Twelve [Apostles] who has ever spent much time worrying about this matter of evolution.

Nelson: We have this doctrine, recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 101: “When the Lord shall come again, he shall reveal all things, things which have passed, hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth by which it was made and the purpose and the end thereof, things most precious, things that are above, things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, upon the earth, and in heaven.” So as I close that quotation, I realize that there are just some things that we won’t know until that day.
                          Don't ever change.
                          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            Don't ever change.
                            Based on his posting history here I would say there isn't much risk that he will.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

so uh, what were their answers to the LGBT question and the PFS question?
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Nobody on this board could be a bigger DFU fan than me, but I didn't see this as any kind of symbolic swipe against his popularity or progressive nature. DHO is next in line to be the prophet. Makes total sense to put him in the presidency. Anyone who sees any meaning beyond that is looking to stir up drama.

That being said, the biggest downside of this is that we will likely get to hear fewer DFU talks in GC. Bummer. DHO talks are a little too legalistic for my tastes.
                                Agree with both points.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X