9 AM Press Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USUC View Post
    I guess it makes sense to add Oaks given he is next in line, but I'm a little surprised that Uchtdorf is gone. Can anything on the new direction of the Church be inferred from this new line up?
    As a general rule I would say no, but I'm certain that it will.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
      As a general rule I would say no, but I'm certain that it will.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
        Yep.

Not that anyone cares...but outside of the Church this will be seen as a doubling down after President Oak's last talk at General Conference.
        For better or worse, Oaks is going to be president and possibly for a decade or more. It's kind of inevitable so I'm not sure this changes much. Maybe just accelerates the angst of the exmo crowd.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Where is ERCoug to give us the lowdown on how John Dehlin feels about this change?
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            What can I say, except, you're welcome!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Where is ERCoug to give us the lowdown on how John Dehlin feels about this change?
              I bet he's thrilled. It's good for business!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Who is the designated survivor for this meeting? Looks like everyone is there.
                Did you learn nothing from The Last Jedi?
                Last edited by Bo Diddley; 01-16-2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I’m sad that this will mean less Uchtdorf at GC/PHood. I know there are reasons other than public speaking, but for the general member of the church that’s he most important thing the FP/Q12 does, sad losing by far the best speaker from every PHood sesh. I’m guessing we will get a long SSA talk this April.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Guys, please remember that President Oaks was President of BYU when the football team began its ascendancy. This is the dawn of a brighter day.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      I’m sad that this will mean less Uchtdorf at GC/PHood. I know there are reasons other than public speaking, but for the general member of the church that’s he most important thing the FP/Q12 does, sad losing by far the best speaker from every PHood sesh. I’m guessing we will get a long SSA talk this April.
                      Maybe he ran out of airplane stories.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                        Yep.

Not that anyone cares...but outside of the Church this will be seen as a doubling down after President Oak's last talk at General Conference.
                        What specifically was he doubling down on that would be a change from the current direction? The SCOTUS basically ensures a Prop 8 law ain't in the future. To me, Uchtdorf played the important role of communicating that the Church is loving and focusing on the positivity of the gospel. He counterbalanced the fire and brimstone of leaders like Oaks. Focusing exclusively on the negativity and moral corruption of the world isn't a winning strategy. I hope that isn't what is the focus moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                          But Pres Nelson still rocking the combover to the extent he can. I told my wife it is time for me to follow the prophet.
                          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          I've been tempted at times to do the comb over, if for no other reason than to embarrass my kids.
                          When I was much younger, maybe even still a teenager, my older sister, prophetically glimpsing my follicly-challenged future state, made me promise her that I would never employ the comb over.
                          Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          Guys, please remember that President Oaks was President of BYU when the football team began its ascendancy. This is the dawn of a brighter day.
                          Rise and Shout!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

So he’s being reassigned go BYU?
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

Right out of the gate.
                              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

You alumni gotta stick together

Comment

Working...
                                X