Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    love me some jay santos.
    I don't mean anything that dramatic. But these are all alpha males with ton of experience and credentials and they don't always see eye to eye on everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      Did you read the Prince book on McKay? Why wouldn't the same dynamics exist today?
      I did, yes, and I really enjoyed it.

This is mostly me reading between the lines, but I think we saw a culture shift during that stretch of years between when President Hunter died and Elder Maxwell died, which I understand was the longest period in the history of the church with no changes among the membership of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. I think that much time together cemented an expectation of how work was to be done among the presiding quorums: they act in concert or they don't act. Every now and again you hear a whisper that a policy initiative or action was the brainchild of a specific member of the quorum, and that they had been pushing it for years until everybody finally got on board. It would surprise me if the senior apostles felt that members of the First Presidency had gone rogue. (But in fairness, the McKay book surprised me too.)
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Nobody on this board could be a bigger DFU fan than me, but I didn't see this as any kind of symbolic swipe against his popularity or progressive nature. DHO is next in line to be the prophet. Makes total sense to put him in the presidency. Anyone who sees any meaning beyond that is looking to stir up drama.

That being said, the biggest downside of this is that we will likely get to hear fewer DFU talks in GC. Bummer. DHO talks are a little too legalistic for my tastes.
        Hmm. When I first heard the selection, I thought it was because he was most comfortable with Oaks. They've been in the Q12 together longer than anyone else remaining and probably understand each other as well or better than others. How long have they been sitting next to each other in all their meetings?

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Shhh! The speculation is far more interesting that actually knowing why the change was made.
        You're just hoping to save topics for your podcast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Pelado; 01-16-2018, 11:23 AM.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I think the discussion about "the most progressive" of the q12 is cute. We need SeattleUte here to chime in on which deeply conservative old dude is the most progressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
            Also, watching that press conference, it made sense why he would pick Elder Oaks. They are clearly of one mind and work very well together. (They go back many years, by the way, starting when then-Doctor Nelson visited then-Professor Oaks at the University of Chicago while considering a position there.) His job is to be a counselor to the President, and I don't doubt that he'll be a very good one.
            It does make sense, and not in a nefarious way. I don't exactly like the change but it's something I can live with. I just ignore Oaks' LGBT rants and will continue to do so going forward. Easy peasy. For some reason I'm actually more relieved that Bednar wasn't put into the FP. However, I'll admit that Bednar has had some talks with which I totally agree and while he may be a hardliner and somewhat annoying in a condescending sort of way, he's grown on me a bit. I still struggle to listen to HBE in any capacity. I just don't connect with him at any level. But I do like Pres Nelson and think he'll be great.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
              I think the discussion about "the most progressive" of the q12 is cute. We need SeattleUte here to chime in on which deeply conservative old dude is the most progressive.
              You were probably distracted making lunch for the hubby or something, but that was sort of my point above.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                You were probably distracted making lunch for the hubby or something, but that was sort of my point above.
                Relegating AJ to the traditionally female roles? That's not very progressive of you. She might be riveter or something.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I wonder if Uchtdorf really was that progressive. Or was he just able to move forward with the same doctrine and policy in a Christ-like way? I think sometimes Oaks' problem is that he was trained as a lawyer/advocate, so he tends to be plain and seemingly confrontational to make sure his point is clear. But I am not sure just how progressive Uchtdofr really was, although I personally prefer Dieter's style over all the rest.
                  yeah, I don't really see the difference either other than delivery style.

Comment

• So two remarried widowers in the FP.

JL, how many times has that happened?

Santos, what does it all mean?
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      So two remarried widowers in the FP.

Well, I hear Sis. Eyring is not well. It might mean Sheri Dew finally gets her eternal companion.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        So two remarried widowers in the FP.

lol
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Well, I hear Sis. Eyring is not well. It might mean Sheri Dew finally gets her eternal companion.
                          if sheri dew finally gets laid she’ll probably throw away all her pantsuits and start listening to mo stories.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

You heard it here first!
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              So much speculation, so many unknowns:

LaOccam's Razor would suggest: President Nelson selected the two men he felt inspired (was told?) to select as counselors

Other potential scenarios:
                              Dieter or Harriet are not is as good of health as it would appear (i have zero knowledge of this). Releasing him would allow him to spend more time at home.
                              President Nelson had the impression the (likely) next prophet needs to experience first hand the administration responsibilities of the FP. RMN and DHO will learn this together and rely heavily on HBE

Lloyd Christmas possibility:
                              President Nelson hates gays and foreigners so much he is willing to make his own life harder to get rid of the beloved Silver Fox.
                              Factual scenario: DFU spent a little bit too much time in Crimson up on the hill with KFW. There are some things that are only forgivable in the next life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                It does make sense, and not in a nefarious way. I don't exactly like the change but it's something I can live with. I just ignore Oaks' LGBT rants and will continue to do so going forward. Easy peasy. For some reason I'm actually more relieved that Bednar wasn't put into the FP. However, I'll admit that Bednar has had some talks with which I totally agree and while he may be a hardliner and somewhat annoying in a condescending sort of way, he's grown on me a bit. I still struggle to listen to HBE in any capacity. I just don't connect with him at any level. But I do like Pres Nelson and think he'll be great.
                                Don't expect any progress on women's rights or LGBT issues for a decade or two then.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X