2018 deaths thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Wow. Neither did I. I guess this means I can take "Warren Miller's Age" out of the set of things I don't know, even though "Who the hell Warren Miller is" remains.
    What is that thing JL does... yeah that's it.... SMFH.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I actually thought he was already dead.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
        I actually thought he was already dead.
        And in the SE.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          And in the SE.
          Second!
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Is this guy a household name? I'm not understanding the disbelief.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Yes. An American institution.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

He was skiing. He made every year a film the extolled the joys of skiing boundlessly. During my youth, my father would take me to the newest Warren Miller film to get us hyped up for ski season. I didn't need any encouragement but he was amazing, simply amazing. You are truly young my friend and missed out on the best part of the beginning of winter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/o...ead-at-93.html

If you love to ski, you'd love, absolutely love these movies.

https://www.outsideonline.com/211614...best-ski-films
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I remember watching at least one, possibly two, Warren Miller movies at the MC with a few thousand people. Great memory.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    I remember watching at least one, possibly two, Warren Miller movies at the MC with a few thousand people. Great memory.
                    I had the pleasure of meeting him once, after he narrated one of his films in the seventies.

The following sums up what he brought to us ski bums.

In a 2008 speech, Mr. Miller summed up with uncharacteristic seriousness what had led him — as well as ski bums and heads of state and corporations — to head for the mountains.

“It’s our search for freedom, ” he said. “It’s what it’s all about — man’s instinctive search for freedom.”
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Yout knew winter was on its way when the leaves turned and Warren Miller put out another movie.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

My 16 year old son wore his Warren Miller promo cap today in remembrance. If his generation knows about Miller, I can't believe people from mine haven't heard of him.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Yeah, I don’t ski.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I grew up in Utah and I enjoy skiing. I managed to avoid every single Warren Miller movie, which takes more effort than you would believe. I totally judge you guys who get a boner for them.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I enjoy skiing (now snowboarding). I knew who WM was. Never saw one of his movies. Had no idea he was in his 90s.

Comment

Miller movies pushed skiing to the limits... and inspired stupid people like me to do stupid things like I did.

... and when you glide off a 15 foot cliff and land in powder so soft you can't tell you've landed... you thank Miller for allowing yourself to try something that appeared stupid, but ended up as a 10 ten sensation of your life.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X