Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 deaths thread

Default 2018 deaths thread

Delores O'Riordan

I really liked the Cranberries as a kid and listened to their first two albums extensively. This is still one of my favorite songs:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LM4Cb6wZUA[/YOUTUBE]
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I remember being ticked off at David Spade after a "Spade in America" skit where he criticized her for going from "Linger" to "Zombie," like the change in style was unwelcome.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Love me some Cranberries. I'm still jealous of whomever that was that saw them in Dublin.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Love me some Cranberries. I'm still jealous of whomever that was that saw them in Dublin.
    The taxi driver in Zarcero, Costa Rica who we had take us everywhere for a couple of months had an MP3 playlist, and every single time we got in his taxi, "Zombie" would play, and he would sing along, having no friggin' clue what he was singing. Ronald Chaves Villalobos.
    Last edited by wuapinmon; 01-16-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I remember being ticked off at David Spade after a "Spade in America" skit where he criticized her for going from "Linger" to "Zombie," like the change in style was unwelcome.
    Spade can ESAD if he criticized them. There are a couple bands that define my teenage years. The Cranberries are one of them as they became big when I was in high school. No Need to Argue is a fabulous album from start to finish and even my kids will sing along to Zombie when I play it on my guitar.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Spade can ESAD if he criticized them. There are a couple bands that define my teenage years. The Cranberries are one of them as they became big when I was in high school. No Need to Argue is a fabulous album from start to finish and even my kids will sing along to Zombie when I play it on my guitar.
    My trainer in the mission was a big Cranberries fan. He would periodically knock doors to the rythym of Zombie.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

My senior seminar paper was inspired by a line in Zombie.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

SF writer Ursula Le Guin

Anther SF writer from my youth

She was 88

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ed/1059967001/

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    SF writer Ursula Le Guin

Anther SF writer from my youth

She was 88

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ed/1059967001/
    I was a recent convert to her work. I really liked the Earthsea series. I still have a couple of her books I want to read.

Warren Miller, aged 93. I didn't realize he was that old.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Fresh tracks for eternity! I guess HF needed a skiing buddy.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Fresh tracks for eternity! I guess HF needed a skiing buddy.
    That's what happens when RMN is now occupied with other commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    That's what happens when RMN is now occupied with other commitments.

Ah, that explains the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Wow. Neither did I. I guess this means I can take "Warren Miller's Age" out of the set of things I don't know, even though "Who the hell Warren Miller is" remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Wow. Neither did I. I guess this means I can take "Warren Miller's Age" out of the set of things I don't know, even though "Who the hell Warren Miller is" remains.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

What is that thing JL does... yeah that's it.... SMFH.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

I actually thought he was already dead.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I actually thought he was already dead.
    And in the SE.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    And in the SE.
    Second!
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Is this guy a household name? I'm not understanding the disbelief.

Yes. An American institution.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Pre-Historic Man

He was skiing. He made every year a film the extolled the joys of skiing boundlessly. During my youth, my father would take me to the newest Warren Miller film to get us hyped up for ski season. I didn't need any encouragement but he was amazing, simply amazing. You are truly young my friend and missed out on the best part of the beginning of winter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/o...ead-at-93.html

If you love to ski, you'd love, absolutely love these movies.

https://www.outsideonline.com/211614...best-ski-films
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I remember watching at least one, possibly two, Warren Miller movies at the MC with a few thousand people. Great memory.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I remember watching at least one, possibly two, Warren Miller movies at the MC with a few thousand people. Great memory.
    I had the pleasure of meeting him once, after he narrated one of his films in the seventies.

The following sums up what he brought to us ski bums.

In a 2008 speech, Mr. Miller summed up with uncharacteristic seriousness what had led him — as well as ski bums and heads of state and corporations — to head for the mountains.

“It’s our search for freedom, ” he said. “It’s what it’s all about — man’s instinctive search for freedom.”
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Yout knew winter was on its way when the leaves turned and Warren Miller put out another movie.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

My 16 year old son wore his Warren Miller promo cap today in remembrance. If his generation knows about Miller, I can't believe people from mine haven't heard of him.

Yeah, I don’t ski.

I grew up in Utah and I enjoy skiing. I managed to avoid every single Warren Miller movie, which takes more effort than you would believe. I totally judge you guys who get a boner for them.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I enjoy skiing (now snowboarding). I knew who WM was. Never saw one of his movies. Had no idea he was in his 90s.

Miller movies pushed skiing to the limits... and inspired stupid people like me to do stupid things like I did.

... and when you glide off a 15 foot cliff and land in powder so soft you can't tell you've landed... you thank Miller for allowing yourself to try something that appeared stupid, but ended up as a 10 ten sensation of your life.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream