2018 deaths thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I enjoy skiing (now snowboarding). I knew who WM was. Never saw one of his movies. Had no idea he was in his 90s.
    I grew up going with my family every year to WM films. Lots of good memories. Never sported wood for the movies or him, DH. I had no idea he lived on Orcas Island. Beautiful place, right by where my in-laws used to live.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Mort Walker of Beetle Baily fame

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mor...-94/ar-BBIjqpt

anybody who has been in the military can recognize the stereotypes

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Going to a funeral today - I was their "his" hometeacher for 10 years .

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I had the same secretary for over 21 years. We came to know each other and our respective families very well. Last Thursday night, she and her husband were at home. Their oldest daughter, who has always been a bit difficult, came by and had a huge argument with her father, which is not unusual. The argument ended with the daughter leaving in a rage. At that point my former secretary went to bed and her husband said he would be up in a few minutes. She heard him puttering around the kitchen followed by a loud gasp and a hard thud. The thud was the sound of her husband's body hitting the floor. He apparently suffered a massive heart attack and was dead before he hit the floor. He was only 60 years old and seemed to be in very good shape.

Per his wishes there was no funeral. Instead, there was a gathering of friends and family at their home, which we attended yesterday. It was very sad to see the daughter, who I have known since she was a small child, feel just horrible because of the way she left it with her father. For the rest of her life she will recall that the last thing she said to her father was an angry insult.

Life is so tenuous and short. Live it as though the next moment may be your last.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            I had the same secretary for over 21 years. We came to know each other and our respective families very well. Last Thursday night, she and her husband were at home. Their oldest daughter, who has always been a bit difficult, came by and had a huge argument with her father, which is not unusual. The argument ended with the daughter leaving in a rage. At that point my former secretary went to bed and her husband said he would be up in a few minutes. She heard him puttering around the kitchen followed by a loud gasp and a hard thud. The thud was the sound of her husband's body hitting the floor. He apparently suffered a massive heart attack and was dead before he hit the floor. He was only 60 years old and seemed to be in very good shape.

Per his wishes there was no funeral. Instead, there was a gathering of friends and family at their home, which we attended yesterday. It was very sad to see the daughter, who I have known since she was a small child, feel just horrible because of the way she left it with her father. For the rest of her life she will recall that the last thing she said to her father was an angry insult.

Life is so tenuous and short. Live it as though the next moment may be your last.
            So sad.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
              Going to a funeral today - I was their "his" hometeacher for 10 years .
              Turns out that old Mel was drafted in '43 and fought on the front lines of Okinawa. 50% of his squad was gunned down as the transport boat hit the shore.... he crawled up the beach under heavy gun fire... he dug a hole and hunkered down into it. His commanding officer told him to get out of the hole and press forward... as he did two men filled the foxhole he had just laid. 15 seconds after he left the hole, it was directly hit by mortar. They gathered and moved together toward the enemy.... as they moved the soldiers all around him were shot and he was left standing so he hit the ground too... in his forward position he didn't have food or water for two days. The battle of Okinawa lasted 82 days, and he was only one of 25 of his 180 men squadron that lived. Later in the war he was assigned to confiscate ammunition on mainland Japan and he had to ferret out rogue Japanese in tunnels and caves were ammunition was stored....

The son cried as he read parts of the story and began his remarks... Dad never like to talk about his participation in the war, and I only learned these things by reading his journal....

I knew Mel as an older gentleman who performed service for others when he could and as a faithful ordinance worker in the temple. In the last few years I would help the ninety something Mel from his wheelchair into the cushy seat in HP group. I wish I would have known that he was a bad-ass survivor of one the the worst battles in American History. I guess not saying anything or talking about it was what made him a bad-ass after all.

Proud to have known you Mel, and considered you a friend.
              Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-29-2018, 07:33 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post

Whoa - that's my age, way, way too young!
                Life is too short. There is an important lesson in there.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                  Turns out that old Mel was drafted in '43 and fought on the front lines of Okinawa. 50% of his squad was gunned down as the transport boat hit the shore.... he crawled up the beach under heavy gun fire... he dug a hole and hunkered down into it. His commanding officer told him to get out of the whole and press forward... as he did two men filled the foxhole he had just laid. 15 seconds after he left the hole, it was directly hit by mortar. They gathered and moved together toward the enemy.... as they moved the soldiers all around him were shot and he was left standing so he hit the ground too... in his forward position he didn't have food or water for two days. The battle of Okinawa lasted 82 days, and he was only one of 25 of his 180 men squadron that lived. Later in the war he was assigned to confiscate ammunition on mainland Japan and he had to ferret out rogue Japanese in tunnels and caves were ammunition was stored....

The son cried as he read parts of the story and began his remarks... Dad never like to talk about his participation in the war, and I only learned these things by reading his journal....

I knew Mel as an older gentleman who performed service for others when he could and as a faithful ordinance worker in the temple. In the last few years I would help the ninety something Mel from his wheelchair into the cushy seat in HP group. I wish I would have known that he was a bad-ass survivor of one the the worst battles in American History. I guess not saying anything or talking about it was what made him a bad-ass after all.

Proud to have known you Mel, and considered you a friend.
                  So Sad - the Greatest Generation is getting smaller by the minute!

Okinawa was about a nasty a fight as could be. I'm convinced it was one of the reasons HST ok'd the use of the Bomb. It was dropped about 2 mths after the fighting ended on the island

Comment

I feel for that daughter Creek.

It is a gut-check every time I make a terminal diagnosis to someone as old or younger than I. And that is becoming a little more common each day.

You may survive WW2 and live till your 90, or die suddenly and leave decades on the table. Live your own life.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

thanks for sharing, clack and creek.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Jon Huntsman
                        https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/02/...an-dies-at-80/
                        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                          Really good obituary. An incredible loss for the state of Utah.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Really good obituary. An incredible loss for the state of Utah.
                            can't read it with an adblocker enabled, so eff the trib.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

John Mahoney. He was only 77. That is surprising, and saddening.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                                John Mahoney. He was only 77. That is surprising, and saddening.
                                I didn't realize he was British born.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X