Television 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Walter, I did not watch my buddies die face down in the muck so that you could come on this fine message board and slander the noble men and women of our military.
    You need a "back in the 'Nam" in there.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Anyone else watch Crashing? I really liked the first season and the second season so far has been entertaining. I loved the interaction that Pete Holmes had with Penn Jillette about religion.

HOLMES:… You’re a — you’re a big atheist now, right? I mean…

JILLETTE: Yeah. I have been for a long time. I guess my whole adult life.

HOLMES: I stuck with it, I guess.

JILLETTE: Oh, did you?

HOLMES: Jesus is still my co-pilot.

JILLETTE: [Laughs]

HOLMES: He’s great. He doesn’t drink either.

JILLETTE: Oh, really?

HOLMES: Very, very smooth flight.

JILLETTE: I thought there was the wine thing! Isn’t there the wine…

HOLMES: Oh, you know, it was one miracle. The rest of the time, he was pretty dry.

JILLETTE: You really do believe?

HOLMES: Yeah.

JILLETTE: Christian god?

HOLMES: Christian — Yeah. All three.

JILLETTE: Now, I don’t wanna be dismissive, but you actually believe that there’s a being that cares about — forgive me — but your masturbation? Cares about everything you do?

HOLMES: Yeah, you, you know —

JILLETTE: And you don’t have any gnawing doubts about that? You don’t think that maybe you’re letting things slide by you that could be more beautiful?

HOLMES: Like what?

JILLETTE: Like life?

HOLMES: So you don’t — you don’t believe in something watching us, something keeping all of this going?

JILLETTE: I’m not sure there’s no God, but I don’t know. The most important revolution in human history — more important than agriculture, more important than writing — is the scientific revolution. Came down to three words: I don’t know. And no institution, no church, no king, no power structure had ever said in history, “I don’t know.”

HOLMES: I just — What if you’re wrong? I mean, I could never…

JILLETTE: What if you’re wrong?

HOLMES: What if I’m wrong? I mean, either way, I’m good. You’re right —

JILLETTE: No, no, that’s not true! I mean, that’s the problem with Pascal’s Wager, is there’s more than one choice. You could spend your whole life praying your ass off to Jesus, and then find out that it’s actually Zeus, and he doesn’t like you praying to Jesus.

HOLMES: … I’m enjoying the certainty I get from my faith.

JILLETTE: You don’t have certainty.

HOLMES: I do!

JILLETTE: No, you don’t.

HOLMES: I do!

JILLETTE: You can’t get certainty just by willpower. You can’t force yourself to believe things that you don’t have evidence for. You just can’t do it. You can’t force certainty.

HOLMES: Yeah, but this… this is all I have. I mean, I can’t… This is how I was raised, I can’t just… put it aside because you make some sense. I mean… it’s hard for me to admit that you’re making some sense.

JILLETTE: Yeah, I dig that. It’s hard to change. It’s really hard. It’s hard for someone my age to admit that… the Beatles weren’t that good! [Laughs]
      http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...wqbgpEoIxX4.99
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

And no institution, no church, no king, no power structure had ever said in history, “I don’t know.”
        could this be any more smug
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          No kidding.

Not to mention that tired old straw man: Pascal's wager. Barf.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            I can see how that would come off as smug. I'm curious though how is it any more smug then saying we have a fullness of doctrine?
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              I can see how that would come off as smug. I'm curious though how is it any more smug then saying we have a fullness of doctrine?
              i think that’s entirely sincere and not at all smug
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                Anyone else watch Crashing? I really liked the first season and the second season so far has been entertaining. I loved the interaction that Pete Holmes had with Penn Jillette about religion.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...wqbgpEoIxX4.99
                I love Pete Holmes, but I didn't know he had a show. I just watched that episode and it was great. Thanks for the recommendation.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don’t know if any of you are watching Blackish, but, in my opinion, it has really turned into one of the best family sitcoms out there. They just ended a multi-episode arc where the parents hit a rough spot and actually separated (moved into separate homes and everything). It was really difficult to watch at times, especially if you expect your sitcoms to make you laugh. The arc finally ended this week, and it was just about perfect (albeit a bit rushed). Highly recommend it if you aren’t already watching.

Comment

Any of y'all watch "In the Night of" from HBO. Really good one year series show. Started out like a personal top 5 series, but fizzled a little the last half. But overall really great. Maybe top 10 for me. I have some spoiler questions-comments if anyone else watched.

Spoiler for spoiler:
                    I liked how they showed the kid going dark in jail, it added an interesting perspective and made you wonder if he was really guilty after starting out showing him so innocent. But I wish he would have experienced some kind of justice for it. I expected him to get killed in jail or charged with a serious crime. He wasn't just trying to survive. He took it to another level. And the gods of tv plots should have punished him for it. Also, what was up with the Indian girl lawyer? Why the hell did she kiss him? She did it in a really weird way like she was not doing it out of passion she was doing it with purpose. So strange. And then why was she willing to give him drugs?? Totally out of character and not explained very well. I guess it was just that she was really naive and in over her head, but that's not the way she was shown in other scenes. She had some depth and maturity about her. Strange ending to have her go down like that. She was one of the most pure characters but ended up with the most severe consequences of everyone in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Any of y'all watch "In the Night of" from HBO. Really good one year series show. Started out like a personal top 5 series, but fizzled a little the last half. But overall really great. Maybe top 10 for me. I have some spoiler questions-comments if anyone else watched.

Spoiler for spoiler:
                      I liked how they showed the kid going dark in jail, it added an interesting perspective and made you wonder if he was really guilty after starting out showing him so innocent. But I wish he would have experienced some kind of justice for it. I expected him to get killed in jail or charged with a serious crime. He wasn't just trying to survive. He took it to another level. And the gods of tv plots should have punished him for it. Also, what was up with the Indian girl lawyer? Why the hell did she kiss him? She did it in a really weird way like she was not doing it out of passion she was doing it with purpose. So strange. And then why was she willing to give him drugs?? Totally out of character and not explained very well. I guess it was just that she was really naive and in over her head, but that's not the way she was shown in other scenes. She had some depth and maturity about her. Strange ending to have her go down like that. She was one of the most pure characters but ended up with the most severe consequences of everyone in the show.
                      Wanted to love it but couldn't. Naz' turn was too abrupt. The kid who was bullied into doing homework for athletes is now a hard ass, drug addict with neck tattoos in the span of months? C'mon. The relationship with Chandra was just dumb. I felt like they spent way too much time developing everything and then they realized they had two episodes left to wrap it up and everything was rushed, bordering on ridiculousness. I do love Freddy. But that is probably because his character is similar to that of Omar Little.

I fear GoT is on this path with just one season to tie all these loose ends and have a satisfying resolution.
                      Last edited by Surfah; 08-14-2018, 07:11 AM.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        Wanted to love it but couldn't. Naz' turn was too abrupt. The kid who was bullied into doing homework for athletes is now a hard ass, drug addict with neck tattoos in the span of months? C'mon. The relationship with Chandra was just dumb. I felt like they spent way too much time developing everything and then they realized they had two episodes left to wrap it up and everything was rushed, bordering on ridiculousness. I do love Freddy. But that is probably because his character is similar to that of Omar Little.

I fear GoT is on this path with just one season to tie all these loose ends and have a satisfying resolution.
                        I know personalities like Naz and I actually didn't find his trajectory that unbelievable. He was always materialistic. He was always concerned with status and power. I think given that opportunity, someone like that could turn like that. It never came out before because he was so highly sheltered and didn't have access. This is probably racist, but I've noticed among the Indians I know, this same kind of thing. A very shy, naive, innocent person who inside really craves the materialistic, high life he sees in movies or what not and would go for it, given the chance. I guess this goes across cultures, but there was something specific about Naz that made me think of some of the Indians I know.

The Chandra arc was what I found more dissatisfying.

Freddy was awesome. Jack London. lol.

Comment

Succession has been great. It's worth getting a subscription for a month on HBO. Barry was also really good as well as Sharp Objects.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            Succession has been great. It's worth getting a subscription for a month on HBO. Barry was also really good as well as Sharp Objects.
                            Barry was good. Henry Winkler is hilarious and I like Bill Hader, but this series went really dark really fast. I'll cheer for a hit man as long as he's killing bad guys. That's not where Barry ended up, though. Not interested in humanizing that kind of evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              So its not, I don't know, really incredibly boring?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                You need a "back in the 'Nam" in there.
                                My son really wanted to get called on his mission to Vietnam. Specifically so that he could start all of his mission stories with "Back when I was in Nam".

Comment

Working...
                                X