Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Television 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Succession has been great. It's worth getting a subscription for a month on HBO. Barry was also really good as well as Sharp Objects.
    I really liked Succession too. Some great characters — Kieran Culkin was hilarious. I gave up on Barry — not that good in my opinion.

Anybody else watching Escape at Dannemora on Showtime? Good stuff — I always was fascinated with Escape from Alcatraz and this is similarly awesome. It’s worth watching for the beginning scene of episode 5 alone.

True Detective Season 3 looks like it's going to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    True Detective Season 3 looks like it's going to be great.
    Watched the premier and I'm interested.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Watched the premier and I'm interested.
    Did you watch both episodes? They aired two on Sunday night.

I agree it looks good so far. Definitely back to the roots of the season 1.
    *Banned*

haven’t watched yet, but man i love this show. so weird that s2 was such a turd.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Did you watch both episodes? They aired two on Sunday night.

I agree it looks good so far. Definitely back to the roots of the season 1.
    Only watched the first one and planned on watching the second last night. Then had to work late instead.

I like the way they are structuring things in the 3 different time periods, and how things seem to bleed between them for the main character.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Only watched the first one and planned on watching the second last night. Then had to work late instead.

I like the way they are structuring things in the 3 different time periods, and how things seem to bleed between them for the main character.
    i watched like the first six minutes, doesn’t he have dementia or some shit?

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    i watched like the first six minutes, doesn’t he have dementia or some shit?
    He's got some "memory problems".

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

He's got some "memory problems".
    The first episode seemed to be going toward the exact story line of the West Memphis 3. If you have seen the documentary about that case (Paradise Lost), it is really close to the same story line. Even down to them commenting on the kids Black Sabbath shirt.
    *Banned*

caught up. this is going to be an awesome season.

Uh... guys. It is 2019 now.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Uh... guys. It is 2019 now.
    And we still have gender inequality?!
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Iím worried TD is moving a little slow and the 3 different time periods will be a lot to tie together. Still all in but season 2 game me PTSD. Iím nervous.
    *Banned*

crashing is great

I’m worried TD is moving a little slow and the 3 different time periods will be a lot to tie together. Still all in but season 2 game me PTSD. I’m nervous.
    season 2 was garbage because it was distilled pizzolatto self indulgence. the only reason s1 is the best tv season of all time is that mcconaughey and woody are what they are and fukunaga could tell pizz that his circlejerk first year mfa dialogue was just a starting point. it’s funny that it takes basically a silent protagonist to get us back to good true detective.

season 2 was garbage because it was distilled pizzolatto self indulgence. the only reason s1 is the best tv season of all time is that mcconaughey and woody are what they are and fukunaga could tell pizz that his circlejerk first year mfa dialogue was just a starting point. it’s funny that it takes basically a silent protagonist to get us back to good true detective.
    If you are up to date on Season 3, you should read this.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/1/...nd-3-connected
    *Banned*

Watched ep 4 last night. Starting to pick up steam. There's a lot that has to happen between now and episode 8 to connect all the dots. Should start rolling.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Purely nitpicky tangent: the show has done a very good job aging the characters between the 3 timelines. Except for 80's Roland and 90's Roland. If anything, 1990 Roland (with his real hair) looks [I]younger/I] than 1980 Roland with the fake blonde wig.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

interesting. can't decide whether i'd prefer a connection. the chicken farm stuff seems like a red herring, but who knows.

the wife/hays scenes are getting tedious. we get it, she’s a tourist and he’s moody and dealing with some vietnam shit.

True Detective:
    overall pretty great. Not quite in same category as Season 1, which ranks as one of handful of best seasons of TV ever for me. But better than season 2.
    Spoiler for not really spoiler but to be safe:
    The ending left feeling just a touch unsatisfied. But that's sometimes hard to distinguish disappointment that the season is over from disappointment of how it ended. I think I was expecting a little bit more of a twist in the season finale, when it went pretty much exactly as expected. But great season. I loved the concept of two old guys solved it in the end.

True Detective:
    overall pretty great. Not quite in same category as Season 1, which ranks as one of handful of best seasons of TV ever for me. But better than season 2.
    The ending left feeling just a touch unsatisfied. But that's sometimes hard to distinguish disappointment that the season is over from disappointment of how it ended. I think I was expecting a little bit more of a twist in the season finale, when it went pretty much exactly as expected. But great season. I loved the concept of two old guys solved it in the end.
    So, not as good as Season 1 (incredible) and better than Season 2 (absolute disaster): that covers about 95% of tv shows ever.

True Detective:
    Well, there was the one last twist. Didn't see that coming exactly

I was a little confused by the last scene with Wayne in Viet Nam.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    So, not as good as Season 1 (incredible) and better than Season 2 (absolute disaster): that covers about 95% of tv shows ever.
    yeah, true. Closer to Season 1 than 2. But I actually didn't hate season 2 as much as most here.

Well, there was the one last twist. Didn't see that coming exactly

I was a little confused by the last scene with Wayne in Viet Nam.
    1. time is a flat circle, and we experience everything at the same time over and over, and 2. wayne never really left vietnam

i donít know what i think. agree with jay that it went exactly as predicted. iím confused about why they wasted half of the season on the amelia relationship.

i don’t know what i think. agree with jay that it went exactly as predicted. i’m confused about why they wasted half of the season on the amelia relationship.
    And the daughter thing, which turned out to be nothing. I guess just a dead end to show how far Wayne has deteriorated?

I also liked Stephen Dorff quite a bit in this season. Welcome back, Dorff.
    Last edited by falafel; 02-25-2019 at 11:11 AM.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

And the daughter thing, which turned out to be nothing. I guess just a dead end to show how far Wayne has deteriorated?

I also liked Stephen Dorff quite a bit in this season. Welcome back, Dorff.
    he was awesome. makeup folks are maybe mvp of this season

crashing is great
    On this we agree. It has improved each season.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

crashing is great
    Cancelled. Sad!