Oprah Winfrey for President?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oprah Winfrey for President?

Enough buzz that it is time to start a thread I guess.

So the democrats' response to Trump is to promote a billionaire TV personality with zero political experience?

Please no.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

So the democrats' response to Trump is to promote a billionaire TV personality with zero political experience?

Please no.

I agree, awful idea. No more celebrities ever. But no way could she be worse.

Comment

Id prefer the rock

Comment

She's a great speaker. I hope she and Obama team up and campaign for whomever's about to bury Trump in 2020.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

She'll never run, nor should she, but her speech last night was very good. It made me sad, though, as our current President's wordsmithing, such as it is, appeals only to a narrow slice of the populace when true eloquence can have a transformative effect on nearly everyone. I loved the line at the end of Darkest Hour about how, as a result of the brilliant and rousing "We will never surrender" speech, one of Churchill's erstwhile detractors noted that Winston had just "mobilized the English language and sent it into battle."

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              She'll never run, nor should she, but her speech last night was very good. It made me sad, though, as our current President's wordsmithing, such as it is, appeals only to a narrow slice of the populace when true eloquence can have a transformative effect on nearly everyone. I loved the line at the end of Darkest Hour about how, as a result of the brilliant and rousing "We will never surrender" speech, one of Churchill's erstwhile detractors noted that Winston had just "mobilized the English language and sent it into battle."
              But with the wide differences in education in the US, careful eloquence is not as important as it was when educated voters listened to fewer channels of information. We are not led any more by the force of a speech, because the percentage of persons listening is much smaller and the attention span is much shorter.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Please no.
                YES! Maybe her and Michelle Obama could be running mates!

When she was giving her speech last night I couldn't help but think of this picture...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

When she was giving her speech last night I couldn't help but think of this picture...
                  I get really sick of Hollywood sometimes. They engage in horrible behavior and now celebrate themselves as heroes and leaders for taking steps to stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Clearly, that kiss shows that she knew and approved of Weinstein's deplorable actions.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Clearly, that kiss shows that she knew and approved of Weinstein's deplorable actions.
                      Yeah the picture is not proof of anything but it is funny. And JL is right: Hollywood is disgusting, even those who lift themselves up as champions now. How many who condemn HW now where outraged when Roman Polanski wasn't allowed to come to the US to accept his Oscar? The fact that the industry elites en masse wanted to excuse his crime (now we find out he probably committed many more crimes ) tells me all I need to know about them.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Actually it shows that she, like all of her Hollywood buddies, love money. Even if she didn't know exactly what Weinstein did, she and everyone in that industry knew about the casting couch phenomenon, which has been around so long it is a well-entrenched stereotype.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

poor oppressed oprah, someone was once mean to her in an hermes store!
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I get really sick of Hollywood sometimes. They engage in horrible behavior and now celebrate themselves as heroes and leaders for taking steps to stop it.
                            Yeah, give me a break. They caused and facilitated the problem all these years, but now they are the vanguard of change?

And please, we've done the no-nothing celebrity president already.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              poor oppressed oprah, someone was once mean to her in an hermes store!
                              I lived in Paris at the time. Awesome.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                              X