HQ Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HQ Trivia

Anyone else playing this? I'm really new, just the past few days. For those who don't know it's a free app that broadcasts a live trivia show twice daily with a $2k prize each time. Those able to answer 12 questions correctly split the prize. You are eliminated as soon as you miss one, and they get increasingly difficult as the game progresses. Sometimes there are hundreds of winners and they get just a few dollars each, other times there aren't many winners. Today 3 people won $666.

I have yet to get them all right, but it's a lot of fun anyway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/05/a...t-viewing.html

The game pulls you in by dangling a cash prize, offers manic highs and seething frustrations in quick succession, then dumps you out, usually empty-handed. But the HQ refractory period — six to 18 hours — is just long enough to relax you into a state of optimism about playing again. It’s dystopian “Jeopardy!”: not the trivia game we wanted, but the one we deserve.

HQ is based on an enticing proposition: It turns our phones, those founts of infinite knowledge, into a rare site of human recall. (Because questions are set on a 10-second clock, answers are generally un-Googleable.) But while the game purports to test legitimate knowledge, the questions are so frequently absurd that it comes closer to testing your undivided attention to mindless tapping. If you answer a question correctly, you still get that high of intellectual superiority. The Darwinian aspect — watch hundreds of thousands of people get eliminated as you rise — fosters a gleeful arrogance for as long as you’re on top.

But when you get a question wrong, you’re granted plausible deniability. If you can’t finish the crossword, it feels like a personal failure. But when you lose HQ — which the vast majority of players do the vast majority of the time — it often seems arbitrary and unfair, the fault of the unskilled question writers or the unsophisticated technology. It’s not you. It’s the game. And even if you do win, the big-sounding prizes — $1,000, $2,000, $10,000 — are often reduced to pocket change when split among the sometimes hundreds of other people who also won the game. HQ is a little app that channels big feelings about the fundamental lie of the meritocracy. Every session becomes an opportunity to rail against life’s injustices.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
      Anyone else playing this? I'm really new, just the past few days. For those who don't know it's a free app that broadcasts a live trivia show twice daily with a $2k prize each time. Those able to answer 12 questions correctly split the prize. You are eliminated as soon as you miss one, and they get increasingly difficult as the game progresses. Sometimes there are hundreds of winners and they get just a few dollars each, other times there aren't many winners. Today 3 people won $666.

I signed up, but you should have posted your username so people could give you the referral bonus of an extra life per game!
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        I signed up, but you should have posted your username so people could give you the referral bonus of an extra life per game!
        See you (and 600k others) this evening at 6 Pacific.

Comment

See you (and 600k others) this evening at 6 Pacific.
          You got that right!

Does the app send you a notification to remind you of the game? Or am I just supposed to hope I remember?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Dammit! I made it to question 12 tonight, the final question, but I missed it. There were 600 winners.

Comment

I forgot to play.

Time for that reminder feature!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Dammit! I made it to question 12 tonight, the final question, but I missed it. There were 600 winners.
                Ditto. I thought it was Gordo Cooper. Missed out on three bucks and change, dammit!

Comment

just downloaded. I love trivia!

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Ditto. I thought it was Gordo Cooper. Missed out on three bucks and change, dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Yes - who wants a referral bonus?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        Yes - who wants a referral bonus?

Me!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I am in! provo all star.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I am in! provo all star.
                            I used "provo all star" as the referral code. Looks like it will credit that referral after I've played a round.

There is a spot for entering in referral codes after already having signed up.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

In as "timid10"
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                              X