Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 151 to 174 of 174

Thread: HQ Trivia

  1. #151
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Winner winner chicken dinner! 59 cents richer!

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  2. #152
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,114

    Default

    BYU Broadcasting crew gets a shoutout (along with Delta Dental?) on HQ today.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  3. #153
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    BYU Broadcasting crew gets a shoutout (along with Delta Dental?) on HQ today.
    In what way?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  4. #154
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    In what way?
    "Shoutout to the crews at BYU Broadcasting and Delta Dental."
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  5. #155
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    "Shoutout to the crews at BYU Broadcasting and Delta Dental."
    Amazing!
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  6. #156
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,117

    Default

    Made it to q12 tonight. Seconds after clicking on the wrong answer I remembered the ancient ties between Italy and the bull. Yep, the name "Italy" is thought to have been derived from the word for "cow."

    $161 dollar payout tonight.

    Grr.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  7. #157
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Made it to q12 tonight. Seconds after clicking on the wrong answer I remembered the ancient ties between Italy and the bull. Yep, the name "Italy" is thought to have been derived from the word for "cow."

    $161 dollar payout tonight.

    Grr.
    And then I made it to Q12 on the HQ sports. Turns out that the condor, not the albatross, is the name associated with the rarest score on a hole in golf.

    I am having a bad bad day.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  8. #158
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,400

    Default

    Won in the 8 question game tonight. $0.12

  9. #159
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Won in the 8 question game tonight. $0.12
    Woo Hoo!
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  10. #160
    Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knee Deep in the Hoopla
    Posts
    8,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Won in the 8 question game tonight. $0.12
    My wife did as well. I got out on the Owls question, and helped her on the hall of fame question.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  11. #161
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,270

    Default

    After having not played for some weeks I gave it a go just now and won $5.43.

    I may retire.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  12. #162
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    After having not played for some weeks I gave it a go just now and won $5.43.

    I may retire.
    Congrats. I recommend filling out a separate tithing slip for this windfall.

  13. #163
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    After having not played for some weeks I gave it a go just now and won $5.43.

    I may retire.
    I've won a total of 4 times now and my combined winnings do not exceed $5. Is anyone still playing? Numbers are way down. I'm curious to see if they survive another year.

  14. #164
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I've won a total of 4 times now and my combined winnings do not exceed $5. Is anyone still playing? Numbers are way down. I'm curious to see if they survive another year.
    I haven't played since my big win,.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  15. #165
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I've won a total of 4 times now and my combined winnings do not exceed $5. Is anyone still playing? Numbers are way down. I'm curious to see if they survive another year.
    Haven't played in at least a month.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  16. #166
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I've won a total of 4 times now and my combined winnings do not exceed $5. Is anyone still playing? Numbers are way down. I'm curious to see if they survive another year.
    Played it once and deleted it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  17. #167
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I've won a total of 4 times now and my combined winnings do not exceed $5. Is anyone still playing? Numbers are way down. I'm curious to see if they survive another year.
    I played today for the first time in months. It was pretty glitchy.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  18. #168
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,117

    Default

    I play if I'm not doing anything. I missed Q12 on a day where the payout was over $100. Still fuming over it.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  19. #169
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,806

    Default

    The pop culture questions always get me.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  20. #170
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    The pop culture questions always get me.
    Same here. The real spice in the Spice Girls got me today.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  21. #171
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,117

    Default

    I recently had a very lengthy discussion at work where I explained in detail the correct plural form of the word "octopus." It's a bit of a trick question because it depends on what rule you want to follow to get the answer, begging the question somewhat, but at least some answers are unequivocally wrong.

    If you start with the premise that you should use Greek declensions for Greek words, then the plural of octopus (οκτοπος) is octopodes (οκτοποδες). If you don't care about following the original language, you are a terrible human being, but once you accept the word "octopus" as an English word you could just use English rules for pluralization: "octopuses." Where people often go wrong is assuming octopus is a Latin word, and that a Latin masculine plural ends in -i, so the plural should be octopi. That is doubly wrong. "Octopus" is Greek, not Latin, and even if you were to use the Latin version of a Greek word, you would use the fourth declension, not the second, and so the plural of "octopus" as a Latin word is, in fact, "octopus." (Same thing goes for "syllabus," by the way. You can have two syllabuses, or you can have two syllabus, but you cannot have two syllabi. There is no such word.)

    Useless knowledge, you say? Not tonight. Thanks to this little tidbit of knowledge, the subject of tonight's Q12, I am now seven dollars and twenty-two cents richer. My education in classics is finally starting to pay off.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  22. #172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    I recently had a very lengthy discussion at work where I explained in detail the correct plural form of the word "octopus." It's a bit of a trick question because it depends on what rule you want to follow to get the answer, begging the question somewhat, but at least some answers are unequivocally wrong.

    If you start with the premise that you should use Greek declensions for Greek words, then the plural of octopus (οκτοπος) is octopodes (οκτοποδες). If you don't care about following the original language, you are a terrible human being, but once you accept the word "octopus" as an English word you could just use English rules for pluralization: "octopuses." Where people often go wrong is assuming octopus is a Latin word, and that a Latin masculine plural ends in -i, so the plural should be octopi. That is doubly wrong. "Octopus" is Greek, not Latin, and even if you were to use the Latin version of a Greek word, you would use the fourth declension, not the second, and so the plural of "octopus" as a Latin word is, in fact, "octopus." (Same thing goes for "syllabus," by the way. You can have two syllabuses, or you can have two syllabus, but you cannot have two syllabi. There is no such word.)

    Useless knowledge, you say? Not tonight. Thanks to this little tidbit of knowledge, the subject of tonight's Q12, I am now seven dollars and twenty-two cents richer. My education in classics is finally starting to pay off.
    That's an awesome piece of trivia I did not know. Thank you.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  23. #173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    I recently had a very lengthy discussion at work where I explained in detail the correct plural form of the word "octopus." It's a bit of a trick question because it depends on what rule you want to follow to get the answer, begging the question somewhat, but at least some answers are unequivocally wrong.

    If you start with the premise that you should use Greek declensions for Greek words, then the plural of octopus (οκτοπος) is octopodes (οκτοποδες). If you don't care about following the original language, you are a terrible human being, but once you accept the word "octopus" as an English word you could just use English rules for pluralization: "octopuses." Where people often go wrong is assuming octopus is a Latin word, and that a Latin masculine plural ends in -i, so the plural should be octopi. That is doubly wrong. "Octopus" is Greek, not Latin, and even if you were to use the Latin version of a Greek word, you would use the fourth declension, not the second, and so the plural of "octopus" as a Latin word is, in fact, "octopus." (Same thing goes for "syllabus," by the way. You can have two syllabuses, or you can have two syllabus, but you cannot have two syllabi. There is no such word.)

    Useless knowledge, you say? Not tonight. Thanks to this little tidbit of knowledge, the subject of tonight's Q12, I am now seven dollars and twenty-two cents richer. My education in classics is finally starting to pay off.

  24. #174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •