HQ Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I've won a total of 4 times now and my combined winnings do not exceed $5. Is anyone still playing? Numbers are way down. I'm curious to see if they survive another year.
    Played it once and deleted it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I've won a total of 4 times now and my combined winnings do not exceed $5. Is anyone still playing? Numbers are way down. I'm curious to see if they survive another year.
      I played today for the first time in months. It was pretty glitchy.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I play if I'm not doing anything. I missed Q12 on a day where the payout was over $100. Still fuming over it.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• The pop culture questions always get me.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            The pop culture questions always get me.
            Same here. The real spice in the Spice Girls got me today.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I recently had a very lengthy discussion at work where I explained in detail the correct plural form of the word "octopus." It's a bit of a trick question because it depends on what rule you want to follow to get the answer, begging the question somewhat, but at least some answers are unequivocally wrong.

If you start with the premise that you should use Greek declensions for Greek words, then the plural of octopus (οκτοπος) is octopodes (οκτοποδες). If you don't care about following the original language, you are a terrible human being, but once you accept the word "octopus" as an English word you could just use English rules for pluralization: "octopuses." Where people often go wrong is assuming octopus is a Latin word, and that a Latin masculine plural ends in -i, so the plural should be octopi. That is doubly wrong. "Octopus" is Greek, not Latin, and even if you were to use the Latin version of a Greek word, you would use the fourth declension, not the second, and so the plural of "octopus" as a Latin word is, in fact, "octopus." (Same thing goes for "syllabus," by the way. You can have two syllabuses, or you can have two syllabus, but you cannot have two syllabi. There is no such word.)

Useless knowledge, you say? Not tonight. Thanks to this little tidbit of knowledge, the subject of tonight's Q12, I am now seven dollars and twenty-two cents richer. My education in classics is finally starting to pay off.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                I recently had a very lengthy discussion at work where I explained in detail the correct plural form of the word "octopus." It's a bit of a trick question because it depends on what rule you want to follow to get the answer, begging the question somewhat, but at least some answers are unequivocally wrong.

If you start with the premise that you should use Greek declensions for Greek words, then the plural of octopus (οκτοπος) is octopodes (οκτοποδες). If you don't care about following the original language, you are a terrible human being, but once you accept the word "octopus" as an English word you could just use English rules for pluralization: "octopuses." Where people often go wrong is assuming octopus is a Latin word, and that a Latin masculine plural ends in -i, so the plural should be octopi. That is doubly wrong. "Octopus" is Greek, not Latin, and even if you were to use the Latin version of a Greek word, you would use the fourth declension, not the second, and so the plural of "octopus" as a Latin word is, in fact, "octopus." (Same thing goes for "syllabus," by the way. You can have two syllabuses, or you can have two syllabus, but you cannot have two syllabi. There is no such word.)

Useless knowledge, you say? Not tonight. Thanks to this little tidbit of knowledge, the subject of tonight's Q12, I am now seven dollars and twenty-two cents richer. My education in classics is finally starting to pay off.
                That's an awesome piece of trivia I did not know. Thank you.

Comment

I recently had a very lengthy discussion at work where I explained in detail the correct plural form of the word "octopus." It's a bit of a trick question because it depends on what rule you want to follow to get the answer, begging the question somewhat, but at least some answers are unequivocally wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post

Comment

• $11

Comment

$11
                        Quitting your job tomorrow after that windfall?
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

How do you feel about cactus/cacti?
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Quitting your job tomorrow after that windfall?
                            Ha ha, right? So they sell extra lives now at $3 each. That makes me laugh. My first several wins combined wouldn’t have paid for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              How do you feel about cactus/cacti?
                              Carefully.

Comment

• Sigh. Haven't played in a couple months and I choose to come back tonight for Boy Band night.

Yeah. Made it to Q6

Comment

Working...
                                X