MoviePass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoviePass

Anyone use MoviePass? I first heard about it last week when Netflix co-founder and former Redbox CEO announced he had purchased the service and drastically lowered the price. If you haven't heard of it, it promises to let you see one movie per day in virtually any theater for just $9.99 per month. You could see 31 movies a month for that price if you wanted. I signed up a few days ago and I'm eagerly awaiting my "magic debit card" in the mail.

Want to see a lot of movies in the theater for almost no money? You are not alone. MoviePass, for one, was caught off-guard by the groundswell of enthusiasm for the prospect on Tuesday when potential customers caused its website and app to crash, shortly after a new payment structure and owner was announced.

The deal, put simply, goes like this: For a $9.95 monthly fee, you have the option to see up to one movie in theaters per day, every day. We’ll cover the nitty-gritty below, but that’s the gist of the service.

The company, run by Netflix co-founder and former Redbox president Mitch Lowe, wants to be a major disrupter in the industry — think, well, Netflix. But since it was launched in 2011, the service hasn’t gained much traction and remains under-used. MoviePass is hoping this new deal changes that.
    Advantage: It’s actually a great deal

Ticket prices for movies are only rising. And, until Tuesday’s announcement, MoviePass offered essentially the same plan as it does now, but for $50 per month. For true film lovers, that’s still a steal. Now, you only need to watch two movies per month to feel like you’re getting your money’s worth (only one, if you live in a major metropolis).

Drawback: No 3D or Imax

The MoviePass system does not extend to special formats like 3D or Imax. If you’re a hardcore Christopher Nolan fan, you’ll still have to shell out to see “Dunkirk” how it was meant to be seen.

Advantage: No blackout dates

The service is available for use every day of the year. As long as there are tickets available, one of them can be yours.

Drawback: Must buy onsite

Were you one of those people who bought “Force Awakens” tickets weeks in advance? That’s not really an option with MoviePass. To select a showtime, you have to check in on the app, which only works within 100 yards of the location. That makes it tough to buy ahead of time, so that midnight premiere might have to come out of pocket.

Advantage: Available at most theaters, even indies

MoviePass says it’s available in over 91% of all theaters in the U.S. That extends to big chains including AMC, Regal Cinemas, and Cinemark, but also smaller houses like the IFC in New York and Quentin Tarantino’s New Beverly for Angelenos. However, some pushback may be coming — later Tuesday, AMC released a statement objecting to the deep discount.

Drawback: No premium theaters like the ArcLight or Landmark

If you’re one of those people who need a screen consultant on hand just in case you’re unhappy with the quality of the image, you might be out of luck. Among that small percentage of theaters that aren’t in on the deal are … well, let’s just say exactly the chains you would expect.

Advantage: Your conscience is clean

The company reports that it works by buying movie theater tickets for its subscribers directly from exhibitors at whatever price they offer. That means that MoviePass is operating at a loss, and playing the long game. Sure, most movie theater owners would rather you buy their own loyalty programs. But if you balked at the idea for fear of ripping off your local indie picture house, feel free to proceed sans guilt.

Drawback: Solo ticket buyers only

MoviePass works best for loners. Since you are only able to buy your own ticket, if you like seeing movies in large groups (and want to sit together), it isn’t especially useful. Even two MoviePass users can’t buy tickets in one order. At least for now, it’s single tickets only. Which could make a date to the movies a little less romantic.

Advantage: Track your progress

The app keeps track of the movies you watched and when you watched them. That makes it easy to recall all your terrible choices, and think how easy it would be to write your end-of-year lists!

Drawback: The app can be buggy

Since it requires your phone to use location services, it can freeze if the reception at the theater is bad. It will probably only be a minor nuisance, but it’s something to consider.

Bonus: A magic debit card

Maybe you’re not easily amused by technological advances. But when you sign up for MoviePass you are mailed a debit card. When you purchase your movie ticket at the theater, your personal card is automatically loaded with the precise amount that you need to buy your ticket. Come on, admit it — that’s pretty cool.
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mo...ns-1202528720/
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Costco has a good deal on this for a year of service. 3d movies are dumb anyway, so no big loss there.

Comment

the only buying tickets at the theater thing is a dealbreaker
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Costco has a good deal on this for a year of service. 3d movies are dumb anyway, so no big loss there.
        Yeah I agree, I hate 3D, and Imax is rarely a draw for me.

The Costco deal includes a one year subscription to Fandor, which is something I've never heard of. But then again, I hadn't heard of MoviePass until last week either.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          Sounds like you use an app and reserve tickets. Not sure though.

Comment

why? Do most theaters where you are let you select your seats way in advance? I'm somewhat happy that most Vegas theaters have not adopted that model yet.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              Sounds like you use an app and reserve tickets. Not sure though.
              No, you actually have to be within 100 yards of the theater to complete the purchase. Prevents you from just signing in an transferring $10 to your card every day, I guess.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                why? Do most theaters where you are let you select your seats way in advance? I'm somewhat happy that most Vegas theaters have not adopted that model yet.
                i use the flixster app and pretty much everything is reserved. there’s a service fee but it’s worth it.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

i use the flixster app and pretty much everything is reserved. there’s a service fee but it’s worth it.
                  I see this app's real value being for those that go see solo movies in the middle of the day or on weeknights. Its probably not a good fit for couples or dates.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    I see this app's real value being for those that go see solo movies in the middle of the day or on weeknights. Its probably not a good fit for couples or dates.
                    Doesn't sound like it would be a pain fo ryou and your wife to both have it and buy your tickets at the same time. You can then ensure you sit together.

My issue with it is that I see maybe 5-6 movies in theaters a year. I'd like to see more but it's not a matter of money but more time....and there are several months where there are no good movies in theaters. MJ just doesn't really care for most movies so I usually wait for them to come out on streaming and just watch them by myself whiel she reads a book.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      MJ just doesn't really care for most movies so I usually wait for them to come out on streaming and just watch them sleep by myself while she reads a book.
                      Fixed it for you.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Doesn't sound like it would be a pain fo ryou and your wife to both have it and buy your tickets at the same time. You can then ensure you sit together.

My issue with it is that I see maybe 5-6 movies in theaters a year. I'd like to see more but it's not a matter of money but more time....and there are several months where there are no good movies in theaters. MJ just doesn't really care for most movies so I usually wait for them to come out on streaming and just watch them by myself whiel she reads a book.
                        There are lots of movies that I would see in the theater if it weren't an issue of cost. Molly's Game, for example, is one that I plan on seeing with MoviePass that I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        Fixed it for you.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Been using it since the summer. It works great. You can’t check in via the app unless you are 100 yards from the theatre but it’s easy to swing by early and grab your tickets. Also you have to register with different emails but you can link them to one app. At first we didn’t do that and if i wanted to pick up tickets i needed my wife’s phone with me. We were able to change that. Works at every theatre in Utah. Including shitty water gardens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            Fixed it for you.
                            Very true. I fell asleep three nights ago while MJ and the older kids were watching The Phantom Menace.

Looks like there is also no commitment, which is great. I may give this a try. There is a theater less than 2 miles from my house so locational convenience isn't an issue.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Started in December. It's freaking awesome.

No big deal to me getting the ticket at the theater.

Comment

Working...
                              X