Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: President Monson has passed away.

A great man. I will bet he is happy being reunited with his friends and love ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Whoops sorry. Should be LTP. L Tom Perry.
    How embarrassing.

RIP, TSM.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I listened to KSL radio's bio of him on the way home from work last night - about midnight. In the 15 minutes it took to get home, they never said he had passed away, but I figured he must have or they wouldn't be airing it. He was the last apostle from my youth.

I always liked him. I had one of his conference talks on a cassette (I'm dating myself again) that I listened to a lot on my mission.

My mother was one the guides at the Beehive House (before they turned it over to the missionary department) for years and saw him frequently. He was always very friendly and even remembered her name.

RIP and God's Speed TSM
    Last edited by happyone; 01-03-2018 at 04:20 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

A sad day. Til we meet again, TSM.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

That NYTimes bio is dumb. What a bunch of wimps to take such a low blow at someone upon their passing. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the following decent things that chagned in the church while TMo was president:

- Mission age lowered for young women to an age that makes sense if they want to serve
    - Making the women's general meeting officially part of general conference
    - Putting that same meeting on equal footing with the Priesthood meeting in terms of frequency and time slot
    - Getting the priests/teachers out of the BSA and thus improving any budget difference between the YM/YW for those ages
    - Coke is now sold at BYU
    - Support for the antidiscrimation law that passed in Utah
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    The NY Times is a good article on his legacy.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/o...imes&smtyp=cur
    lol

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    That NYTimes bio is dumb. What a bunch of wimps to take such a low blow at someone upon their passing. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the following decent things that chagned in the church while TMo was president:

- Mission age lowered for young women to an age that makes sense if they want to serve
    - Putting that same meeting on equal footing with the Priesthood meeting in terms of frequency and time slot
    - Getting the priests/teachers out of the BSA and thus improving any budget difference between the YM/YW for those ages
    Don't forget that the Utes went 8-1 during the cougars during his presidency. Definitely a man of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Don't forget that the Utes went 8-1 during the cougars during his presidency. Definitely a man of God.
    I was just focusing on the positive things that happened during his presidency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post

The New York Times... All the news that fit to make up.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I was in middle school when Pres. Benson died, and it was a great decade of no deaths about the Q15 until Elder Maxwell (one of my favorites) passed.

Fingers crossed that Pres. Nelson can stay healthy for several years.

Elder Bednar is almost assuredly going to lead the church some day.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    You probably lifted that from that disrespectful NYT article.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

You probably lifted that from that disrespectful NYT article.
    I doubt that TSM considers that fact disrespectful
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Whoops sorry. Should be LTP. L Tom Perry.
    I remember L. Tom Perry sitting on the front row at almost every BYU home basketball game going way back to when I was 7 or 8 years old when my dad first started taking me to them. Sorry USU people, but he was a huge BYU fan.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    lol

Meh, he's just another LDS national writer whining about bad coverage.

Just kidding, he makes a valid point. Looks like the NYT might be hiring obituary writers from the SL Trib.

I didn't particularly care for his speaking style, but I think he was a great man, and I'll miss him.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

NYT getting blasted by a lot of national media. No surprise that Funk thought it was a great article.
    *Banned*

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    NYT getting blasted by a lot of national media. No surprise that Funk thought it was a great article.
    Links?
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    Links?
    I can't teach an old guy how to use twitter.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That tale appears to be the same tale.

Name of person. Role of person. A group the person opposed. The age the person died.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Princeps Inter Pares

Name of person. Role of person. A group the person opposed. The age the person died.
    I'm interested to know whether you place Fidel Castro on the same moral plane as President Monson.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    I'm interested to know whether you place Fidel Castro on the same moral plane as President Monson.
    I do not place them on the same moral plane at all. Castro was obviously a much worse human being.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

You dont see the difference? Castro's is like "Attaboy!" and TSM's is like "what a loser!"
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

The two headlines together of Castro and Monson, def comes across as bad form by the NYT. I honestly thought the article itself was a nice write up. The NYT is left of center and is opposed to anything that is perceived as anti-gay or anti-progressive, they didn't take any shots at Monson, just stated that he didn't back down from attempts from people to pressure him. It read as Monson being a man who stood for what he believed in, despite those beliefs becoming less popular socially.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    The two headlines together of Castro and Monson, def comes across as bad form by the NYT. I honestly thought the article itself was a nice write up. The NYT is left of center and is opposed to anything that is perceived as anti-gay or anti-progressive, they didn't take any shots at Monson, just stated that he didn't back down from attempts from people to pressure him. It read as Monson being a man who stood for what he believed in, despite those beliefs becoming less popular socially.
    Thats how you read it; that's not how the primary part of its left of center following would read it. Just ask our old buddy SU what it meant.
    Last edited by creekster; 01-04-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Princeps Inter Pares

I do not place them on the same moral plane at all. Castro was obviously a much worse human being.
    There's hope for you yet.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Just ask our old buddy SU what it meant.
    Subtext, man. Subtext.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    That was certainly a very generous spin to that article. I wouldn't characterize the article as positive of Monson because of the emphasis on LBGQT issues. Monson's presidential legacy is directly tied to Prop 8 and the exclusion of gay parent's children from baptism. To outsiders, not exactly a positive image.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post

Elder Bednar is almost assuredly going to lead the church some day.
    Seems like IndyCoug did some actuarial work on predicting that and, indeed, the stats say it will be a long tenure, si Dios quiere.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied