Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: President Monson has passed away.

Default President Monson has passed away.

"You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

He has been in the First Presidency since I joined the Church on January 20, 1991.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Bummer. RIP President Monson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

90 is a good run. RIP.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Pre-Historic Man

I remember his "little Tommy" stories. He seemed to have been in a lot of pain toward the end.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

His talk "Finisher's Wanted" is one of my Top 5 conference talks of all time. I go back to it frequently and I share it with others often.

I'm glad that I will have that to remind myself of what my Heavenly Father wants and expects from me.

Godspeed.

A wonderful, kind, and loving man. I am going to miss him.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I’ll miss his sing song style and stories. They always inspired me to be better.

I also wonder how angry John Dehlin is that Kate Kelly was mentioned in the NYT article as the example of people speaking up and being excommunicated?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    A wonderful, kind, and loving man. I am going to miss him.
    I'm waiting for Nikuman to weigh in on TSM before I formulate my opinion of TSM's legacy.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

Y'all hear that? We're using code names. --Evelle Snoats

I didn't cry like I did when Hinckley passed, nevertheless my eyes welled up when I saw the news hit my Twitter timeline. I'll miss him, his stories, that slicked back hair and the inflections in his voice and his unique delivery. Godspeed.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I didn't cry like I did when Hinckley passed, nevertheless my eyes welled up when I saw the news hit my Twitter timeline. I'll miss him, his stories, that slicked back hair and the inflections in his voice and his unique delivery. Godspeed.
    I really liked President Hinkley. I liked President Monson mostly because he was the President. The system will give us another. However, I have been expecting President Monson to die for a long time whereas I wasn't quite as prepped to the idea with President Hinkley. God speed President Monson...next man up!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    I'm waiting for Nikuman to weigh in on TSM before I formulate my opinion of TSM's legacy.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

TSM was called as an apostle in 1963. That is a crazy long run. He was 36 years old when he was called!

He is the last in a sequence of apostles (GBH, LTM, BKP, TSM) that I remember as being apostles for basically my entire life. They don't seem to call them at such an early age anymore, so this is kind of the end of an era.

We are friends with a family where the father was a Seventy so they did all of the kids' wedding receptions in the Joseph Smith Building in SLC. We ran into TSM a few times at those events and had the opportunity to have a nice chat. One time we were talking and he looked both ways and said, "My wife HATES it when I do this, but watch this..." and he wiggled his ears. My kids were thrilled.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    However, I have been expecting President Monson to die for a long time whereas I wasn't quite as prepped to the idea with President Hinkley.
    This is the key. Most us us have been primed for Monson to pass for the last 4 years or so. Hinckley was older, but his death came as more of a surprise, even despite his age.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Love the story in the linked article about how he had the prompting to visit the hospital and decided to wait until the meeting was over. We all fall short at times but we can use those failures as lessons.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    This is the key. Most us us have been primed for Monson to pass for the last 4 years or so. Hinckley was older, but his death came as more of a surprise, even despite his age.
    signed,

soonercoug. hehehe
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I loved his "We want Monson...out" basketball story. Good man. RIP President Monson.

Rest in peace Thomas Monson.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Why is this not on the front page of CNN.com? Strange. Usually they cover the death of a prophet.

NY Times had a nice article.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    Why is this not on the front page of CNN.com? Strange. Usually they cover the death of a prophet.

NY Times had a nice article.
    Duh. Fake news.

Duh. Fake news.
    Maybe the Church is being marginalized by the MSM.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    Maybe the Church is being marginalized by the MSM.
    Pretty safe bet.

Was this the January Surprise, Nikuman teased us with?
    *Banned*

Pretty safe bet.

The NY Times is a good article on his legacy.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/o...imes&smtyp=cur
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Here's a Monson story I've always liked. Happened to a family in our old ward.

Their daughter (Elizabeth) and a male friend (Robert) were driving to BYU from Portland for fall semester. While driving at highway speed around the Idaho Utah border, Robert falls asleep at the wheel and they have a terrible roll over accident. Both are life flighted to SLC. Sister G in our ward flies to SLC immediately to attend to her daughter who's in intensive care and is in very critical condition. Robert died from his injuries. Sister G is sitting in the hall at the hospital all teary eyed and forlorn. President Monson walks by notices her and inquires after her. She explained the story and situation and with his hand on her arm says excuse me a moment and turns his gaze away. He then turns to her and says, Robert has importuned The Lord and requested that Elizabeth continue to live because it was his fault the accident happened. Elizabeth will be just fine. Sister G said that she never mentioned Roberts name to him.

While watching October conference a few weeks later, President Monson used the word Importuned in his conference talk. That word is not something that Sister G would just make up - and it was used in her testimony on the first Sunday of September.

I've known Sister G for 30 years, I believe her story.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-03-2018 at 12:29 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Nelson is 93. You think he has a tenure longer than 4 years?
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

Y'all hear that? We're using code names. --Evelle Snoats

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Here's a Monson story I've always liked. Happened to a family in our old ward.

Their daughter (Elizabeth) and a male friend (Robert) were driving to BYU from Portland for fall semester. While driving at highway speed around the Idaho Utah border, Robert falls asleep at the wheel and they have a terrible roll over accident. Both are life flighted to SLC. Sister G in our ward flies to SLC immediately to attend to her daughter who's in intensive care and is in very critical condition. Robert died from his injuries. Sister G is sitting in the hall at the hospital all teary eyed and forlorn. President Monson walks by notices her and inquires after her. She explained the story and situation and with his hand on her arm says excuse me a moment and turns his gaze away. He then turns to her and says, Robert has importuned The Lord and requested that Elizabeth continue to live because it was his fault the accident happened. Elizabeth will be just fine. Sister G said that she never mentioned Roberts name to him.

While watching October conference a few weeks later, President Monson used the word Importuned in his conference talk. That word is not something that Sister G would just make up - and it was used in her testimony on the first Sunday of September.

I've known Sister G for 30 years, I believe her story.
    I definitely importuned Google for the meaning of that word right now.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Nelson is 93. You think he has a tenure longer than 4 years?
    I don't know anything about his health. Oaks would be next and he's not exactly a spring chicken any more.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

TSM was called as an apostle in 1963. That is a crazy long run. He was 36 years old when he was called!

He is the last in a sequence of apostles (GBH, LTM, BKP, TSM) that I remember as being apostles for basically my entire life.
    Who is LTM?

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Who is LTM?
    Whoops sorry. Should be LTP. L Tom Perry.