President Monson has passed away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Thats how you read it; that's not how the primary part of its left of center following would read it. Just ask our old buddy SU what it meant.
    I’m fairness I’ve admitted I’m the dumbest guy here many times.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I’m fairness I’ve admitted I’m the dumbest guy here many times.
      I thought that was me

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          That was a nice write-up.

I might as well chime in. I never felt a connection to Monson, which is weird because I was a huge Kimball homer, and he and Monson were alike. I absolutely loved Kimball's biography (read it twice!), and I was always moved at how inadequate he felt as an apostle, and how much personal service he gave trying to live up to the task.

It's weird how a feeling of a personal connection means so much with these things. Erying (I was another homer for him) can't get through a talk without breaking down multiple times, yet that never bothered me. In fact, I admired him even more for it. And he is all about the personal service stories also. But I just never felt 'it' for Monson.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fi...rticle/2644973
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I'm a little surprised at how strongly people are reacting to the NYT obituary.

It seems to me that the information in it is a little impersonal, exactly consistent with the way that TSM lived his life - behind the scenes, working hard, not drawing attention to himself. That kind of life doesn't really lend itself to public information that would appear in an obituary written by a secular newspaper. All we really have to go on - from a public point-of-view - is the stuff that happened while TSM was in charge of the LDS church - prop. 8, Ordain Women, etc. Pretty much what the writer included. President/Prophet Monson the human remains largely elusive. I believe this was quite deliberate on Monson's end.

IMO, people who are getting all irate over this NYT treatment of Monson are missing Monson's greatest lesson.

What Monson taught me is that it's not about what the world thinks, or how it interprets your actions. It's about trying to do the right thing, helping people who need help, regardless of the photo opportunities or press releases. Monson wasn't an in-the-spotlight kind of guy, he just tried to do the right thing, regardless of "the optics" or how it would play in the press.

If people wanted to honor Monson's memory, they would STFU, roll up their sleeves, and go and help someone quietly without bragging about it on twitter. Then, they would share a small, anecdotal story about it in a humble sort of way about 40 years later, and not give a rip if it shows up in their obituary some day.
              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Solon, dude, TSM could wiggle his ears... the NYT obit deliberately excluded that shit.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post

It seems to me that the information in it is a little impersonal, exactly consistent with the way that TSM lived his life - behind the scenes, working hard, not drawing attention to himself. That kind of life doesn't really lend itself to public information that would appear in an obituary written by a secular newspaper. All we really have to go on - from a public point-of-view - is the stuff that happened while TSM was in charge of the LDS church - prop. 8, Ordain Women, etc. Pretty much what the writer included. President/Prophet Monson the human remains largely elusive. I believe this was quite deliberate on Monson's end.

IMO, people who are getting all irate over this NYT treatment of Monson are missing Monson's greatest lesson.

What Monson taught me is that it's not about what the world thinks, or how it interprets your actions. It's about trying to do the right thing, helping people who need help, regardless of the photo opportunities or press releases. Monson wasn't an in-the-spotlight kind of guy, he just tried to do the right thing, regardless of "the optics" or how it would play in the press.

If people wanted to honor Monson's memory, they would STFU, roll up their sleeves, and go and help someone quietly without bragging about it on twitter. Then, they would share a small, anecdotal story about it in a humble sort of way about 40 years later, and not give a rip if it shows up in their obituary some day.
                  You’re making good points. But perhaps reacting a bit strongly to the reaction. I havent ready the NYT article, tbh. I was only comparing the tweets that were posted earlier in the thread. The NYT has a clear POV. And they could have said more or something else. But as you say it’s not surprising what they did say and in general I have no problem with it. TSM was a good guy who loved people. He knew it. God knew it. And we all know that God knows it
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post

Most people I know aren't upset. Just find it odd and a little annoying. I have seen quite a few reactions from non-LDS, so it isn't just a hypersensitive mormon thing.

99% of the obits you read in a newspaper are written by loved ones and are a celebration of a person's life. When you are a public figure the obit often reads as more of a news article than a traditional obit. That difference in tone can be jarring if it is someone you hold dear.

That being said, the soft treatment they gave Castro and Hefner is tough to defend.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Most people I know aren't upset. Just find it odd and a little annoying. I have seen quite a few reactions from non-LDS, so it isn't just a hypersensitive mormon thing.

99% of the obits you read in a newspaper are written by loved ones and are a celebration of a person's life. When you are a public figure the obit often reads as more of a news article than a traditional obit. That difference in tone can be jarring if it is someone you hold dear.

That being said, the soft treatment they gave Castro and Hefner is tough to defend.
                      Speak for yourself. I'm livid. And seething. Livid and seething I say.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

still the best piece about heft death

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/o...gh-hefner.html
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

That was pretty awesome. The first sentence remains a favorite of mine among obit openers.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

Yeah, that was brilliant.

Comment

I wonder if I can get Douthat to write my obit... that'd be awesome!

Clack - a simple man from simpler times, left behind in a world he could never catch up to, with only one foot in reality and a mind unfettered with trivial matters like self awareness.
                              Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-06-2018, 02:19 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I have a neighbor that had virus go to brain. Can barely talk. Gets around in wheelchair and ranger. In the hospital walked Tom. Neighbors wife was hoping for healing. Didn,t happen, Tom blessed hi with strength to endure. He may have if he wanted to chose death. But survived and helps Hs girls basketball team. ESPN did a show on him.

Lady in testimony meeting today was at TF temple dedication and said he talked to some kid coming out of elevator that ended talked too. Ann still took him on rides and to visits he could no longer remember. And took him how to watch reruns of the Lawrence Welk show he saw for the first time. Would when home watch tv and read letters to family. Normal Dad.

Comment

Working...
                                X