No announcement yet.

President Monson has passed away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great man. I will bet he is happy being reunited with his friends and love ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Whoops sorry. Should be LTP. L Tom Perry.
      How embarrassing.

RIP, TSM.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I listened to KSL radio's bio of him on the way home from work last night - about midnight. In the 15 minutes it took to get home, they never said he had passed away, but I figured he must have or they wouldn't be airing it. He was the last apostle from my youth.

I always liked him. I had one of his conference talks on a cassette (I'm dating myself again) that I listened to a lot on my mission.

My mother was one the guides at the Beehive House (before they turned it over to the missionary department) for years and saw him frequently. He was always very friendly and even remembered her name.

RIP and God's Speed TSM
        Last edited by happyone; 01-03-2018, 04:20 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

A sad day. Til we meet again, TSM.

Comment

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

That NYTimes bio is dumb. What a bunch of wimps to take such a low blow at someone upon their passing. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the following decent things that chagned in the church while TMo was president:

- Mission age lowered for young women to an age that makes sense if they want to serve
              - Making the women's general meeting officially part of general conference
              - Putting that same meeting on equal footing with the Priesthood meeting in terms of frequency and time slot
              - Getting the priests/teachers out of the BSA and thus improving any budget difference between the YM/YW for those ages
              - Coke is now sold at BYU
              - Support for the antidiscrimation law that passed in Utah
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                The NY Times is a good article on his legacy.
                https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/o...imes&smtyp=cur
                lol

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  That NYTimes bio is dumb. What a bunch of wimps to take such a low blow at someone upon their passing. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the following decent things that chagned in the church while TMo was president:

- Mission age lowered for young women to an age that makes sense if they want to serve
                  - Putting that same meeting on equal footing with the Priesthood meeting in terms of frequency and time slot
                  - Getting the priests/teachers out of the BSA and thus improving any budget difference between the YM/YW for those ages
                  Don't forget that the Utes went 8-1 during the cougars during his presidency. Definitely a man of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                    Don't forget that the Utes went 8-1 during the cougars during his presidency. Definitely a man of God.
                    I was just focusing on the positive things that happened during his presidency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

The New York Times... All the news that fit to make up.
                      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I was in middle school when Pres. Benson died, and it was a great decade of no deaths about the Q15 until Elder Maxwell (one of my favorites) passed.

Fingers crossed that Pres. Nelson can stay healthy for several years.

Elder Bednar is almost assuredly going to lead the church some day.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          You probably lifted that from that disrespectful NYT article.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

You probably lifted that from that disrespectful NYT article.
                            I doubt that TSM considers that fact disrespectful
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Whoops sorry. Should be LTP. L Tom Perry.
                              I remember L. Tom Perry sitting on the front row at almost every BYU home basketball game going way back to when I was 7 or 8 years old when my dad first started taking me to them. Sorry USU people, but he was a huge BYU fan.

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Meh, he's just another LDS national writer whining about bad coverage.

Just kidding, he makes a valid point. Looks like the NYT might be hiring obituary writers from the SL Trib.

Comment

Working...
                                X