President Monson has passed away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    You'd lose. I know you don't like the church's policies related to LGBTQ people, but you've really got to be look at things from more than one perspective. You're tunnel vision on these issues is killing your credibility.
    Help me with my tunnel vision and tell me how forcing a child to disavow his or her parents relationship to gain membership is loving. Please spare the bullshit it is to protect children claim.

Of course I dislike the churches policies, I've seen the way they hurt people that I care about.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      Help me with my tunnel vision and tell me how forcing a child to disavow his or her parents relationship to gain membership is loving. Please spare the bullshit it is to protect children claim.

Of course I dislike the churches policies, I've seen the way they hurt people that I care about.
      You're right. President Monson and President Nelson were sitting in the Temple thinking of ways to really stick it to the kids of gay members. Suck it, kids! (but don't grow up to suck it, IYKWIM).
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

forcing a child to disavow his or her parents relationship to gain membership
        those loaded dice are sure to invite thoughtful and rational discourse
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I'm trying too hard to write satire?
          Not trying hard enough to understand my satire!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            those loaded dice are sure to invite thoughtful and rational discourse
            Okay how about asking a prospective member to disavow his or her parents relationship.

Now explain how it is loving. If you don't like the term disavow take that up with the church.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Okay how about asking a prospective member to disavow his or her parents relationship.

Now explain how it is loving. If you don't like the term disavow take that up with the church.
              not materially better friend
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Funk have a craft beer and take a break from that axe grinding. Great football game going right now.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The Mormon faith builds bridges while staying true to its self
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

LOL. Helen Radkey makes another appearance.

However the investigator who uncovered the baptisms, an ex-Mormon called Helen Radkey, said “some Jews are making fools of themselves if they think everything’s hunky-dory with the Mormons.”
                    It's a good thing that she got out of the church so she didn't waste her life. On her death bed she will be able to look back with so much satisfaction at the good she accomplished.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                      Can we be clear about something. He loved some people. He probably even loved most people. He did not love LGBTQ people.
                      Weird.

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        "felt accepted"

lol. joke's on Zebulon! couldn't even detect all that hatred coming from TSM.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                          I'm a little surprised at how strongly people are reacting to the NYT obituary.

It seems to me that the information in it is a little impersonal, exactly consistent with the way that TSM lived his life - behind the scenes, working hard, not drawing attention to himself. That kind of life doesn't really lend itself to public information that would appear in an obituary written by a secular newspaper. All we really have to go on - from a public point-of-view - is the stuff that happened while TSM was in charge of the LDS church - prop. 8, Ordain Women, etc. Pretty much what the writer included. President/Prophet Monson the human remains largely elusive. I believe this was quite deliberate on Monson's end.

IMO, people who are getting all irate over this NYT treatment of Monson are missing Monson's greatest lesson.

What Monson taught me is that it's not about what the world thinks, or how it interprets your actions. It's about trying to do the right thing, helping people who need help, regardless of the photo opportunities or press releases. Monson wasn't an in-the-spotlight kind of guy, he just tried to do the right thing, regardless of "the optics" or how it would play in the press.

If people wanted to honor Monson's memory, they would STFU, roll up their sleeves, and go and help someone quietly without bragging about it on twitter. Then, they would share a small, anecdotal story about it in a humble sort of way about 40 years later, and not give a rip if it shows up in their obituary some day.
                          https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/08/r...?smid=pl-share

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-obituary.html
                          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• In response to complaints that it only portrayed the political issues that Pres Monson dealt with and not the humanitarian side, the Times obit editor respond that they only really had access to the "public" version, not the private and intimate version of the Prophet.

Sounds a bit like BS, since general conference is basically blasted out on every single medium available for all to see and hear. If the Times wanted to know about his ministry (and not just the news bites) they had full access at their finger tips.

Still, it was nice of the paper to respond to the complaints and comments and recognize that maybe they were a little tone deaf this time.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I loved the pre-funeral stuff that BYUTV was airing from KSL. Good stuff.

Now I'm watching the funeral on BYUTV, on my iPad, while I am working. Technology is awesome.

Comment

• Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                                X