Lone Peak Hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    Did you ever make it over to my neck of the woods and climb Williamson?
    Have not done so. Too much life got in the way I am afraid.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Excellent. DEfinitely going to give it a go.
      When are you planning on going? Not before June, I hope.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        When are you planning on going? Not before June, I hope.
        Next summer. Most of this is for my wife; she is trying to decide if she wants to go or not. Based on the All traisl and other comments, she may sit it out.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Any of you people hike Lone Peak leaving from Draper before? Some of the trail guides make it sound more difficult than I expected. Any thoughts on the climb?
          I love lone peak. I grew up in Draper and used to hike (or ride horses) all over that mountain. We used to ride horses up Jacob's Ladder, stay at the Allen cabin overnight (outlaw cabin to non locals), and then some of us would summit the next morning. The summit is not my jam as there are sheer rock cliffs on three sides of it. Its only about the size of a kitchen table.

Early this past summer I hiked up using the cherry canyon trail. This is a relatively new trail that didn't exist when I was growing up. It isn't for the faint of heart. I felt like it was harder than Jacob's Ladder but I'm old now and the last time I hiked Jacob's Ladder was a while ago. There used to be a trail south of Cherry Canyon that was used when I was a kid. Although you can still see it above the shoreline, I don't think it is maintained.

Two years ago my cousin hiked up the Cherry Canyon trail to the cabin and camped. Then summitted and then came down Jacob's Ladder trail. You can do either trails in one day but I suggest you do in in June when you have enough sunlight to take reasonable breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
            I love lone peak. I grew up in Draper and used to hike (or ride horses) all over that mountain. We used to ride horses up Jacob's Ladder, stay at the Allen cabin overnight (outlaw cabin to non locals), and then some of us would summit the next morning. The summit is not my jam as there are sheer rock cliffs on three sides of it. Its only about the size of a kitchen table.

Early this past summer I hiked up using the cherry canyon trail. This is a relatively new trail that didn't exist when I was growing up. It isn't for the faint of heart. I felt like it was harder than Jacob's Ladder but I'm old now and the last time I hiked Jacob's Ladder was a while ago. There used to be a trail south of Cherry Canyon that was used when I was a kid. Although you can still see it above the shoreline, I don't think it is maintained.

Two years ago my cousin hiked up the Cherry Canyon trail to the cabin and camped. Then summitted and then came down Jacob's Ladder trail. You can do either trails in one day but I suggest you do in in June when you have enough sunlight to take reasonable breaks.
            Is this basically the trail that climbs up the ridge of the mountain? Or is that the one you were talking about that was around when you were a kid? (Edit: I'm thinking about the Draper Ridge trail)

I would like to try to make it up Lone Peak from the Bell Canyon trail some time. Hiking in Bell Canyon has always been one of my favorite places. I've been about 3/4 of the way, but just on a out-and-back trip in Bell Canyon, not with the intention to make the summit.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Is this basically the trail that climbs up the ridge of the mountain? Or is that the one you were talking about that was around when you were a kid? (Edit: I'm thinking about the Draper Ridge trail)

I would like to try to make it up Lone Peak from the Bell Canyon trail some time. Hiking in Bell Canyon has always been one of my favorite places. I've been about 3/4 of the way, but just on a out-and-back trip in Bell Canyon, not with the intention to make the summit.
              Correct, it is the Cherry Canyon trail I used. I don't think it is visible from the valley like the Draper Ridge trail. I actually just found this image with the Trails accessible from Draper/Hidden Valley. I didn't know the Trail of the Eagle exists (terrible name). It might have been cut more recently. I work with a guy who snow shoes up Bell Canyon to Pfeifferhorn. I've never spent much time in Bell Canyon.

LonePeakHikes.jpg

Comment

Correct, it is the Cherry Canyon trail I used. I don't think it is visible from the valley like the Draper Ridge trail. I actually just found this image with the Trails accessible from Draper/Hidden Valley. I didn't know the Trail of the Eagle exists (terrible name). It might have been cut more recently. I work with a guy who snow shoes up Bell Canyon to Pfeifferhorn. I've never spent much time in Bell Canyon.

[ATTACH]8446[/ATTACH]
                There are two waterfalls that are fun to hike too up that canyon, and some of the better landscape in that part of the range.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

There are two waterfalls that are fun to hike too up that canyon, and some of the better landscape in that part of the range.
                  For sure more picturesque on the Little Cottonwood Canyon side. The Draper side is scrub oak until you hike 3 hours up the trail.

Comment

I hiked up the Cherry Canyon Trail on Friday and it is an abomination. Even with switch backs, it's just too steep and not maintained well. But once you get to the top of the south ridge of Bear Canyon, it's fairly manageable. When you get into the pines it's gorgeous. The only advantaged of this route is that there is a natural spring where you can fill up your water supply. I almost made it to the cabin on this route but lost the trail about a mile or so away. There was too much snow and too many fallen trees (probably from the heavy snow this winter). The forest service hasn't cleared the trail. Coming back down this route is a nightmare. It's too steep and slick. It destroyed my knees and my toes. But I'm on the wrong side of 40 so that might be my issue. Moving forward I will only hike to Lone Peak via the Jacob's Ladder trail.
                    Last edited by USUC; 07-07-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I hiked up the Cherry Canyon Trail on Friday and it is an abomination. Even with switch backs, it's just too steep and not maintained well. But once you get to the top of the south ridge of Bear Canyon, it's fairly manageable. When you get into the pines it's gorgeous. The only advantaged of this route is that there is a natural spring where you can fill up your water supply. I almost made it to the cabin on this route but lost the trail about a mile or so away. There was too much snow and too many fallen trees (probably from the heavy snow this winter). The forest service hasn't cleared the trail. Coming back down this route is a nightmare. It's too steep and slick. It destroyed my knees and my toes. But I'm on the wrong side of 40 so that might be my issue. Moving forward I will only hike to Lone Peak via the Jacob's Ladder trail.
                      What kind of equipment did you take with you (poles, etc.)?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I'm surprised you went this early (relatively speaking). I was up in Sandy last week and there was still do much snow up there I thought you couldn't do much hiking higher up until August.

I took my boy up Bell Canyon for a few hours and it made me want to do Lone Peak again. I think I will wait until next year though, as I'm badly out of shape at the moment.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          What kind of equipment did you take with you (poles, etc.)?
                          Stupidly, I didn't take poles. But I'm not sure how much help they would have been on the way down. The biggest problem was the storms from the day before spread sand and small rocks on the trail. I kept slipping, flailing and catching myself. My shoes could have fit better as well. I just had a backpack with water, food, first aid kit, and a foil blanket.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm surprised you went this early (relatively speaking). I was up in Sandy last week and there was still do much snow up there I thought you couldn't do much hiking higher up until August.

I took my boy up Bell Canyon for a few hours and it made me want to do Lone Peak again. I think I will wait until next year though, as I'm badly out of shape at the moment.
                            I've hiked to the cabin in June before without much trouble. There's always some snow this time of year but the snow in addition to the downed trees was the problem this time. I'll try again via Jacob's Ladder next month or September. I'll only go as far as the cirque though.

I'm not in any kind of shape to be doing it now, but I just kind of powered thru it. After hiking about 3.5 hours my quads started to cramp. I pushed on for another hour but it was fairly mild that far up. I'm not sure of there is a way to get your knees in better shape, but that seems to be my biggest problem.
                            Last edited by USUC; 07-08-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I've hiked to the cabin in June before without much trouble. There's always some snow this time of year but the snow in addition to the downed trees was the problem this time. I'll try again via Jacob's Ladder next month or September. I'll only go as far as the cirque though.

I'm not in any kind of shape to be doing it now, but I just kind of powered thru it. After hiking about 3.5 hours my quads started to cramp. I pushed on for another hour but it was fairly mild that far up. I'm not sure of there is a way to get your knees in better shape, but that seems to be my biggest problem.
                              The poles really help my knees - especially on the way down.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Stupidly, I didn't take poles. But I'm not sure how much help they would have been on the way down. The biggest problem was the storms from the day before spread sand and small rocks on the trail. I kept slipping, flailing and catching myself. My shoes could have fit better as well. I just had a backpack with water, food, first aid kit, and a foil blanket.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
                                I have the perfect solution for you. My wife and I hike almost every day and when we are doing a steep trail we use a pair of these over our hiking shoes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We originally got them for hiking on ice & compacted snow but quickly realized that they work great for dry but steep, loose trails. They are a game changer. They turn you into a mountain goat. You wouldn't believe the steep slopes we can climb (trail or not) with these things and they never slip. Highly recommended.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X