Thread: Lone Peak Hike

Hybrid View

Default Lone Peak Hike

Any of you people hike Lone Peak leaving from Draper before? Some of the trail guides make it sound more difficult than I expected. Any thoughts on the climb?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Any of you people hike Lone Peak leaving from Draper before? Some of the trail guides make it sound more difficult than I expected. Any thoughts on the climb?
    I've done it 5 or 6 times, but not within the last 10 years. I've known people to do it in one day, but they were kind of crazy. Its a good overnight trip. The first section, if you take the Jacob's Ladder route, is basically straight up via switch backs. That part sucks. But then you hit the meadows and its really nice. Bring a filter.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I've done it 5 or 6 times, but not within the last 10 years. I've known people to do it in one day, but they were kind of crazy. Its a good overnight trip. The first section, if you take the Jacob's Ladder route, is basically straight up via switch backs. That part sucks. But then you hit the meadows and its really nice. Bring a filter.
    I was planning Jacobs ladder and planning one day. You dont think the one day plan is good?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

I was planning Jacobs ladder and planning one day. You dont think the one day plan is good?
    Just make sure you're in better physical condition than falafel was 10+ years ago and you're golden.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

You might be in really good shape, but I think that would be a very difficult hike for anyone besides Piney's wife and daughters. I know I couldn't do it in one day.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

You might be in really good shape, but I think that would be a very difficult hike for anyone besides Piney's wife and daughters. I know I couldn't do it in one day.
    Bro, he hiked Kilimanjaro last year. He'll fly up that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Bro, he hiked Kilimanjaro last year. He'll fly up that thing.
    I just remember all the complaining he did about the hike along the California coast a few years ago.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I just remember all the complaining he did about the hike along the California coast a few years ago.
    Kili was a few years back and I was in great shape then. Not as good when I did the Lost Coast and, tbh, full pack in beach sand or natural beach rip rap for 30+ miles (including taking a header of a wet and moss covered boulder) sort of kicked my butt. We did Salkhantay Pass inPeru last year at 15.5k elevation. I will be in ok to decent shapoe by next summer and will not be carrying a full pack so I think I will plan on a single day for Lone Peak.

Thanks for all the input. It amazes me how I grew up along the Wasatch front but never managed to climb any of those mountains until I was in my 50s. Wasted opportunities.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Kili was a few years back and I was in great shape then. Not as good when I did the Lost Coast and, tbh, full pack in beach sand or natural beach rip rap for 30+ miles (including taking a header of a wet and moss covered boulder) sort of kicked my butt. We did Salkhantay Pass inPeru last year at 15.5k elevation. I will be in ok to decent shapoe by next summer and will not be carrying a full pack so I think I will plan on a single day for Lone Peak.

Thanks for all the input. It amazes me how I grew up along the Wasatch front but never managed to climb any of those mountains until I was in my 50s. Wasted opportunities.
    Have fun, I'm sure you can do it (based on BG's recommendation).

Just don't try and slide down the snow pack below the face. My sister's friend did that and he lost a finger and had to be helicoptered down the mountain.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Have fun, I'm sure you can do it (based on BG's recommendation).

Just don't try and slide down the snow pack below the face. My sister's friend did that and he lost a finger and had to be helicoptered down the mountain.
    Yeah, about that. I'm going to have to go ahead and retract my confidence in creekster on this one. After all, that coastal hike is pancake flat and at sea level. Sorry creekster.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Yeah, about that. I'm going to have to go ahead and retract my confidence in creekster on this one. After all, that coastal hike is pancake flat and at sea level. Sorry creekster.
    Dont be sorry. I dont deserve the confidence!
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

One day is doable. But if you try and don’t summit for some reason, there is still a huge payoff just to sit in the cirque at the base of the cliffs and take in the scenery. So much granite, it feels almost like Yosemite.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    One day is doable. But if you try and don’t summit for some reason, there is still a huge payoff just to sit in the cirque at the base of the cliffs and take in the scenery. So much granite, it feels almost like Yosemite.
    Excellent. DEfinitely going to give it a go.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Did you ever make it over to my neck of the woods and climb Williamson?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Did you ever make it over to my neck of the woods and climb Williamson?
    Have not done so. Too much life got in the way I am afraid.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/u...s-ladder-trail

reading the comments on this link, basically says you are going to die.
    *Banned*

When are you planning on going? Not before June, I hope.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

When are you planning on going? Not before June, I hope.
    Next summer. Most of this is for my wife; she is trying to decide if she wants to go or not. Based on the All traisl and other comments, she may sit it out.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

I love lone peak. I grew up in Draper and used to hike (or ride horses) all over that mountain. We used to ride horses up Jacob's Ladder, stay at the Allen cabin overnight (outlaw cabin to non locals), and then some of us would summit the next morning. The summit is not my jam as there are sheer rock cliffs on three sides of it. Its only about the size of a kitchen table.

Early this past summer I hiked up using the cherry canyon trail. This is a relatively new trail that didn't exist when I was growing up. It isn't for the faint of heart. I felt like it was harder than Jacob's Ladder but I'm old now and the last time I hiked Jacob's Ladder was a while ago. There used to be a trail south of Cherry Canyon that was used when I was a kid. Although you can still see it above the shoreline, I don't think it is maintained.

Two years ago my cousin hiked up the Cherry Canyon trail to the cabin and camped. Then summitted and then came down Jacob's Ladder trail. You can do either trails in one day but I suggest you do in in June when you have enough sunlight to take reasonable breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    I love lone peak. I grew up in Draper and used to hike (or ride horses) all over that mountain. We used to ride horses up Jacob's Ladder, stay at the Allen cabin overnight (outlaw cabin to non locals), and then some of us would summit the next morning. The summit is not my jam as there are sheer rock cliffs on three sides of it. Its only about the size of a kitchen table.

Early this past summer I hiked up using the cherry canyon trail. This is a relatively new trail that didn't exist when I was growing up. It isn't for the faint of heart. I felt like it was harder than Jacob's Ladder but I'm old now and the last time I hiked Jacob's Ladder was a while ago. There used to be a trail south of Cherry Canyon that was used when I was a kid. Although you can still see it above the shoreline, I don't think it is maintained.

Two years ago my cousin hiked up the Cherry Canyon trail to the cabin and camped. Then summitted and then came down Jacob's Ladder trail. You can do either trails in one day but I suggest you do in in June when you have enough sunlight to take reasonable breaks.
    Is this basically the trail that climbs up the ridge of the mountain? Or is that the one you were talking about that was around when you were a kid? (Edit: I'm thinking about the Draper Ridge trail)

I would like to try to make it up Lone Peak from the Bell Canyon trail some time. Hiking in Bell Canyon has always been one of my favorite places. I've been about 3/4 of the way, but just on a out-and-back trip in Bell Canyon, not with the intention to make the summit.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Is this basically the trail that climbs up the ridge of the mountain? Or is that the one you were talking about that was around when you were a kid? (Edit: I'm thinking about the Draper Ridge trail)

I would like to try to make it up Lone Peak from the Bell Canyon trail some time. Hiking in Bell Canyon has always been one of my favorite places. I've been about 3/4 of the way, but just on a out-and-back trip in Bell Canyon, not with the intention to make the summit.
    Correct, it is the Cherry Canyon trail I used. I don't think it is visible from the valley like the Draper Ridge trail. I actually just found this image with the Trails accessible from Draper/Hidden Valley. I didn't know the Trail of the Eagle exists (terrible name). It might have been cut more recently. I work with a guy who snow shoes up Bell Canyon to Pfeifferhorn. I've never spent much time in Bell Canyon.

LonePeakHikes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    Correct, it is the Cherry Canyon trail I used. I don't think it is visible from the valley like the Draper Ridge trail. I actually just found this image with the Trails accessible from Draper/Hidden Valley. I didn't know the Trail of the Eagle exists (terrible name). It might have been cut more recently. I work with a guy who snow shoes up Bell Canyon to Pfeifferhorn. I've never spent much time in Bell Canyon.

LonePeakHikes.jpg
    There are two waterfalls that are fun to hike too up that canyon, and some of the better landscape in that part of the range.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

There are two waterfalls that are fun to hike too up that canyon, and some of the better landscape in that part of the range.
    For sure more picturesque on the Little Cottonwood Canyon side. The Draper side is scrub oak until you hike 3 hours up the trail.