Lone Peak Hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I have the perfect solution for you. My wife and I hike almost every day and when we are doing a steep trail we use a pair of these over our hiking shoes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We originally got them for hiking on ice & compacted snow but quickly realized that they work great for dry but steep, loose trails. They are a game changer. They turn you into a mountain goat. You wouldn't believe the steep slopes we can climb (trail or not) with these things and they never slip. Highly recommended.
    Interesting. We used those in Devils Lake, ND in the winter so we wouldn't slip as we were marching to and from class. I hadn't considered how they could be used on trails as well.

Comment

I have the perfect solution for you. My wife and I hike almost every day and when we are doing a steep trail we use a pair of these over our hiking shoes:

We originally got them for hiking on ice & compacted snow but quickly realized that they work great for dry but steep, loose trails. They are a game changer. They turn you into a mountain goat. You wouldn't believe the steep slopes we can climb (trail or not) with these things and they never slip. Highly recommended.
      Those intrigue me. On my hikes, i wouldn't need them for much of the hike, but they'd be handy in a few spots. Do you leave them on for the entire hike, including the flats? If so, any downside to having the on the whole time?

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        The poles really help my knees - especially on the way down.
        I have used them in the past for going down hill, but the pair I had at the time would slip on slick spots. Maybe it was just the poles though.

Wow, thank you for this suggestions. Are they easy to come off and on? Do you leave them on during the entirety of the hike?

Comment

Those are great. I have an employee that uses them all the time. Guy is a peakbagger and swears by them.

I will have to pick some up for my trip at the end of summer. I am going over Lamark Col and I am worried the snow may never melt.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Those intrigue me. On my hikes, i wouldn't need them for much of the hike, but they'd be handy in a few spots. Do you leave them on for the entire hike, including the flats? If so, any downside to having the on the whole time?
            Depends on the hike (what percentage is steep), but they are super easy to take on and off and are light to carry.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
            X