Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    This thread is an abomination and should be deleted immediately. I always suspected you people were a bunch of Commies.
    oh just buy some pigs already.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

147 after almost 8 hours. Going to start adding the glaze.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I’d be interested to find out how it tastes. I love ham but we just buy the Costco precooked/presliced ones, which are delish. I always figured cooking my own would just be a hassle without any added flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          This thread is an abomination and should be deleted immediately. I always suspected you people were a bunch of Commies.
          Pigs are delicious!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

About 10 hours into the cook, still going at 180 degrees. Up to 153 degrees internal temperature. Just applied another coat of the juice/honey glaze solution.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

That's starting to look really good. I am not a big ham guy, but very interested to see how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I’d be interested to find out how it tastes. I love ham but we just buy the Costco precooked/presliced ones, which are delish. I always figured cooking my own would just be a hassle without any added flavor.

My theory is that it should taste better, but I'm also somewhat concerned that the additional effort will be for naught.

I haven't put a lot of thought into the theory. Mostly it consists of the concept that freshly cooked meat should be tastier/juicier/etc. than meat that has been reheated.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Hey pelado I have never done this but am watching with interest. Keep posting pics. What wood are you using?
                  Sorry - meant to respond to this question earlier.

In my early smoking days, i tried using different types of wood for different stuff, but I couldnt really tell a difference between the various woods. So now i just use what is convenient. I picked up this bag of blended pellets from a local store with more convenient hours than the place I usually go.

I don't see any indication on the bag what the composition of this particular blend is, but it seems like it should result in robust and flavorful food.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Costco hams are trash. One of the few things Costco doesn’t do well. You’d be better off buying a ham at the grocery store. Better hams and just as cheap.

But if you want a truly delicious spiral ham, I’ve yet to have one better than a Honeybaked. A bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Costco hams are trash. One of the few things Costco doesn’t do well. You’d be better off buying a ham at the grocery store. Better hams and just as cheap.

But if you want a truly delicious spiral ham, I’ve yet to have one better than a Honeybaked. A bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.
                      Agreed. I don't know what they do, but those honeybaked hams are great.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I bought a spiral ham at the grocery store once and then used a blow torch to put a crust on it. Used brown sugar and some spices. Was really good.

Comment

I'm thinking maybe they bake them with honey?

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            I'm thinking maybe they bake them with honey?
                            Mind. Blown.

Comment

Its not just the crust. The actual ham slices in a HBH are much more tender than a cheaper ham. The ham almost melts in your mouth, where a cheaper ham is almost always a bit chewy.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I bumped up the temp to 250 for the last half hour or so to try to get the internal temp up to 160. The highest it got before i pulled it and packed it to go was 156. It was still 156 when we arrived at my sister's place for the meal. The picture below was from just before pulling it off the smoker. I should have taken a picture of the interior after cutting it up but didn't think about it until it was much too late.

As for the taste, I've got to say I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it was yummy and probably better than most other hams I've had. I'm just not sure it was good enough to justify the additional hassle. The texture at 156 was pretty much the same as I would have expected from fully cooked hams, so maybe the texture would have been fine at a bit lower temperature - like the 145 degrees recommended by amazingribs.com. Also, I think smoking for so long at 180 may have thickened the crust beyond ideal.

So my current thought is to plan on a shorter cook at 225, or to just get a precooked ham and reheat it.

Or, better yet, get prime rib.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X