Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ham

This thread is intended for all things ham - bone-in, boneless, fresh, dry-cured, wet-cured, country, city, green, corned, and so forth.

I picked up a 20-pound trimmed, boneless, wet-cured, uncooked ham from a local butcher yesterday. I'm planning to smoke it for a family Christmas dinner on Sunday (anticipating about 40 guests). My current plan is to set it at 225-250 degrees and smoke until it reaches 160 degrees internal temp. I'm expecting it to take 12+ hours.

I'll throw some pineapple slices on top at the start of the cook and add a glaze consisting of apple juice, pineapple juice, orange juice, brown sugar and honey periodically during the last hour or so of the cook.

Amazingribs.com, which I usually find quite convincing, indicates that a wet-cured, uncooked ham only has to get to 145 internal temp to be safe as per USDA data shown here. However, I've seen other sites indicate that they preferred the taste/texture at a higher temp (165ish).

Anyone here have any experience with smoking (or cooking in other ways) an uncooked wet-cured ham? Anything I should do differently?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Anyone here have any experience with smoking (or cooking in other ways) an uncooked wet-cured ham? Anything I should do differently?
    So, nobody?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I’ve never had an uncooked ham. I’ve wanted to make one for a long time. I’m curious how you’re turns out.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Here are a few pictures to document the process. I got the boneless, trimmed, wet-cured ham from the butcher. They use an injection curing process, so the curing takes less than a day. Typically, they then put all the cured hams in their smokehouse - they don't usually sell the cured ham uncooked. I had to put in a special request. In fact, I couldn't find anyone locally who regularly sells wet-cured, uncooked hams.

There are several places locally that sell fresh hams. I could have gone that route and done the curing process at home. That's probably what I'll do if/when I smoke another uncooked ham. Of course, I couldn't find anyone locally who regularly sells curing salts, so I'll have to order them online ahead of time.

I think the pictures are pretty self-explanatory, but I'll describe them anyway. The ham came from the butcher in the bag with some residual curing solution. I rinsed it off with cold water and then placed it in the smoker topped only with the pineapple slices. I started it 12 hours before meal time at 250 degrees. I'm hoping to be able to turn the temp down a bit as the cook progresses, but I want to be sure it finishes in time. Not sure what to expect as far as timing since I haven't smoked a single slab of meat this large before (20 pounds). Since I'm only taking it to 160 though, I'm thinking it shouldn't really take that long.

Last edited by Pelado; 12-17-2017, 05:48 AM.
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

After two hours at 250, the internal temp is up to 90. I turned the smoker down to 225.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

This thread is intended for all things ham - bone-in, boneless, fresh, dry-cured, wet-cured, country, city, green, corned, and so forth.

I picked up a 20-pound trimmed, boneless, wet-cured, uncooked ham from a local butcher yesterday. I'm planning to smoke it for a family Christmas dinner on Sunday (anticipating about 40 guests). My current plan is to set it at 225-250 degrees and smoke until it reaches 160 degrees internal temp. I'm expecting it to take 12+ hours.

I'll throw some pineapple slices on top at the start of the cook and add a glaze consisting of apple juice, pineapple juice, orange juice, brown sugar and honey periodically during the last hour or so of the cook.

Amazingribs.com, which I usually find quite convincing, indicates that a wet-cured, uncooked ham only has to get to 145 internal temp to be safe as per USDA data shown here. However, I've seen other sites indicate that they preferred the taste/texture at a higher temp (165ish).

Sorry, didn't see this until today. Yes, I'd suggest two things:

1) Feed the damn thing to your dog.

2) Buy a prime rib or strip loin.

Other than that, you're on to something good here.
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Hey pelado I have never done this but am watching with interest. Keep posting pics. What wood are you using?
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Pelado that looks delicious.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

dang. i think i know what the smr family is having for christmas.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

That looks awesome Pelado.

Good idea to go for the higher temp I think.

Comment

After two hours at 250, internal temp was 90, prompting me to turn it down to 225. Half an hour later, it was up to nearly 100, so I turned it down to 180. After five hours, the temp is up to 130. I added another can of sliced pineapple on top and poured the residual juices from the can over the top of the ham.

I saved the residual juices from the first can of pineapple and combined it with the juice from a jar of maraschino cherries, orange juice, and honey as per the butcher's recommendation. I'll be using that as the glaze as the cook approaches the finish.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        Sorry, didn't see this until today. Yes, I'd suggest two things:

1) Feed the damn thing to your dog.

2) Buy a prime rib or strip loin.

Other than that, you're on to something good here.
                        1) Don't have a dog

2) For what I paid for this ham, I should have gone with prime rib. Part of why I'd do the curing process myself if i ever do this again

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

1) Don't have a dog

2) For what I paid for this ham, I should have gone with prime rib. Part of why I'd do the curing process myself if i ever do this again

My FIL used to do his own hams all the time. They were great.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

140 degrees after 6 hours.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

This thread is an abomination and should be deleted immediately. I always suspected you people were a bunch of Commies.
                              sigpic
                              "Outlined against a blue, gray
                              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                              X