Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham

Default Ham

This thread is intended for all things ham - bone-in, boneless, fresh, dry-cured, wet-cured, country, city, green, corned, and so forth.

I picked up a 20-pound trimmed, boneless, wet-cured, uncooked ham from a local butcher yesterday. I'm planning to smoke it for a family Christmas dinner on Sunday (anticipating about 40 guests). My current plan is to set it at 225-250 degrees and smoke until it reaches 160 degrees internal temp. I'm expecting it to take 12+ hours.

I'll throw some pineapple slices on top at the start of the cook and add a glaze consisting of apple juice, pineapple juice, orange juice, brown sugar and honey periodically during the last hour or so of the cook.

Amazingribs.com, which I usually find quite convincing, indicates that a wet-cured, uncooked ham only has to get to 145 internal temp to be safe as per USDA data shown here. However, I've seen other sites indicate that they preferred the taste/texture at a higher temp (165ish).

Anyone here have any experience with smoking (or cooking in other ways) an uncooked wet-cured ham? Anything I should do differently?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Anyone here have any experience with smoking (or cooking in other ways) an uncooked wet-cured ham? Anything I should do differently?
    So, nobody?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I’ve never had an uncooked ham. I’ve wanted to make one for a long time. I’m curious how you’re turns out.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Here are a few pictures to document the process. I got the boneless, trimmed, wet-cured ham from the butcher. They use an injection curing process, so the curing takes less than a day. Typically, they then put all the cured hams in their smokehouse - they don't usually sell the cured ham uncooked. I had to put in a special request. In fact, I couldn't find anyone locally who regularly sells wet-cured, uncooked hams.

There are several places locally that sell fresh hams. I could have gone that route and done the curing process at home. That's probably what I'll do if/when I smoke another uncooked ham. Of course, I couldn't find anyone locally who regularly sells curing salts, so I'll have to order them online ahead of time.

I think the pictures are pretty self-explanatory, but I'll describe them anyway. The ham came from the butcher in the bag with some residual curing solution. I rinsed it off with cold water and then placed it in the smoker topped only with the pineapple slices. I started it 12 hours before meal time at 250 degrees. I'm hoping to be able to turn the temp down a bit as the cook progresses, but I want to be sure it finishes in time. Not sure what to expect as far as timing since I haven't smoked a single slab of meat this large before (20 pounds). Since I'm only taking it to 160 though, I'm thinking it shouldn't really take that long.

Last edited by Pelado; 12-17-2017 at 05:48 AM.
    - Goatnapper'96

After two hours at 250, the internal temp is up to 90. I turned the smoker down to 225.

- Goatnapper'96

This thread is intended for all things ham - bone-in, boneless, fresh, dry-cured, wet-cured, country, city, green, corned, and so forth.

I picked up a 20-pound trimmed, boneless, wet-cured, uncooked ham from a local butcher yesterday. I'm planning to smoke it for a family Christmas dinner on Sunday (anticipating about 40 guests). My current plan is to set it at 225-250 degrees and smoke until it reaches 160 degrees internal temp. I'm expecting it to take 12+ hours.

I'll throw some pineapple slices on top at the start of the cook and add a glaze consisting of apple juice, pineapple juice, orange juice, brown sugar and honey periodically during the last hour or so of the cook.

Amazingribs.com, which I usually find quite convincing, indicates that a wet-cured, uncooked ham only has to get to 145 internal temp to be safe as per USDA data shown here. However, I've seen other sites indicate that they preferred the taste/texture at a higher temp (165ish).

Sorry, didn't see this until today. Yes, I'd suggest two things:

1) Feed the damn thing to your dog.

2) Buy a prime rib or strip loin.

Other than that, you're on to something good here.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Hey pelado I have never done this but am watching with interest. Keep posting pics. What wood are you using?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Pre-Historic Man

Pelado that looks delicious.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

dang. i think i know what the smr family is having for christmas.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

That looks awesome Pelado.

Good idea to go for the higher temp I think.

After two hours at 250, internal temp was 90, prompting me to turn it down to 225. Half an hour later, it was up to nearly 100, so I turned it down to 180. After five hours, the temp is up to 130. I added another can of sliced pineapple on top and poured the residual juices from the can over the top of the ham.

I saved the residual juices from the first can of pineapple and combined it with the juice from a jar of maraschino cherries, orange juice, and honey as per the butcher's recommendation. I'll be using that as the glaze as the cook approaches the finish.

- Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Sorry, didn't see this until today. Yes, I'd suggest two things:

1) Feed the damn thing to your dog.

2) Buy a prime rib or strip loin.

Other than that, you're on to something good here.
    1) Don't have a dog

2) For what I paid for this ham, I should have gone with prime rib. Part of why I'd do the curing process myself if i ever do this again

- Goatnapper'96

1) Don't have a dog

2) For what I paid for this ham, I should have gone with prime rib. Part of why I'd do the curing process myself if i ever do this again

My FIL used to do his own hams all the time. They were great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

140 degrees after 6 hours.

- Goatnapper'96

This thread is an abomination and should be deleted immediately. I always suspected you people were a bunch of Commies.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

This thread is an abomination and should be deleted immediately. I always suspected you people were a bunch of Commies.
    oh just buy some pigs already.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

147 after almost 8 hours. Going to start adding the glaze.

- Goatnapper'96

I’d be interested to find out how it tastes. I love ham but we just buy the Costco precooked/presliced ones, which are delish. I always figured cooking my own would just be a hassle without any added flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Pigs are delicious!

About 10 hours into the cook, still going at 180 degrees. Up to 153 degrees internal temperature. Just applied another coat of the juice/honey glaze solution.

- Goatnapper'96

That's starting to look really good. I am not a big ham guy, but very interested to see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post

I’d be interested to find out how it tastes. I love ham but we just buy the Costco precooked/presliced ones, which are delish. I always figured cooking my own would just be a hassle without any added flavor.

My theory is that it should taste better, but I'm also somewhat concerned that the additional effort will be for naught.

I haven't put a lot of thought into the theory. Mostly it consists of the concept that freshly cooked meat should be tastier/juicier/etc. than meat that has been reheated.

- Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hey pelado I have never done this but am watching with interest. Keep posting pics. What wood are you using?
    Sorry - meant to respond to this question earlier.

In my early smoking days, i tried using different types of wood for different stuff, but I couldnt really tell a difference between the various woods. So now i just use what is convenient. I picked up this bag of blended pellets from a local store with more convenient hours than the place I usually go.

I don't see any indication on the bag what the composition of this particular blend is, but it seems like it should result in robust and flavorful food.

- Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post

Costco hams are trash. One of the few things Costco doesn’t do well. You’d be better off buying a ham at the grocery store. Better hams and just as cheap.

But if you want a truly delicious spiral ham, I’ve yet to have one better than a Honeybaked. A bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Costco hams are trash. One of the few things Costco doesn’t do well. You’d be better off buying a ham at the grocery store. Better hams and just as cheap.

But if you want a truly delicious spiral ham, I’ve yet to have one better than a Honeybaked. A bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.
    Agreed. I don't know what they do, but those honeybaked hams are great.

I bought a spiral ham at the grocery store once and then used a blow torch to put a crust on it. Used brown sugar and some spices. Was really good.

I'm thinking maybe they bake them with honey?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I'm thinking maybe they bake them with honey?
    Mind. Blown.

Its not just the crust. The actual ham slices in a HBH are much more tender than a cheaper ham. The ham almost melts in your mouth, where a cheaper ham is almost always a bit chewy.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I bumped up the temp to 250 for the last half hour or so to try to get the internal temp up to 160. The highest it got before i pulled it and packed it to go was 156. It was still 156 when we arrived at my sister's place for the meal. The picture below was from just before pulling it off the smoker. I should have taken a picture of the interior after cutting it up but didn't think about it until it was much too late.

As for the taste, I've got to say I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it was yummy and probably better than most other hams I've had. I'm just not sure it was good enough to justify the additional hassle. The texture at 156 was pretty much the same as I would have expected from fully cooked hams, so maybe the texture would have been fine at a bit lower temperature - like the 145 degrees recommended by amazingribs.com. Also, I think smoking for so long at 180 may have thickened the crust beyond ideal.

So my current thought is to plan on a shorter cook at 225, or to just get a precooked ham and reheat it.

Or, better yet, get prime rib.

- Goatnapper'96