"Grimey," as he liked to be known

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Grimey," as he liked to be known

Ty is out, Grimes is in. Time to start a new thread.

Predictions on staff?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Predictions on scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      Predictions on scheme?
      Return to the Nitro package.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        Predictions on scheme?
        Good question. LSU is closer to the pro-style BYU tried to run the last two years. He was also around for Anae 1.0, which incorporated spread and pro concepts and in particular utilized TEs and big running backs (which seems to cater to BYU's recruiting strengths). I'd guess that's the template we can expect.

Comment

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=19021679

This guy on CB called the Grimes hire earlier yesterday, and also said that Mahe and Cahoon are out in favor of Peterson and Roderick. I wonder if Ty stays on after all.

Comment

I know we had a solid run with Grimes under Bronco, but my favorite Grimes memory comes from a game during his year with Crowton. BYU was playing at Colorado State, who had completely destroyed us for the previous two years. Crowton's fate had been sealed a week before with an awful loss at Boise State (still makes me mad). CSU was not good that year, but it was also a year when any road game was a probable loss. Rather than the regular mix of Crowton gadgets, end arounds, bubble screens, etc. BYU went to Fort Collins and pounded the effing rock. BYU rushed for over 200 yards, and Tahi and Brown averaged nearly 7 yards per carry, despite the fact that neither had a run longer than 20 yards. I was listening to the game on the radio as we were driving back to Provo from St. George, and I distinctly remember Greg Wrubell commenting on the huge holes being opened up by the BYU O-Line. At one point he said something like "I don't think we've seen BYU be able to pound the ball like this as a team since the 1996 Cotton Bowl team." Lyons, in the way only he can do, points out how quickly Wrubell has forgotten the 2001 Doman-Staley team. I think Wrubell was expecting this, and practically cut Lyons off to explain how he was talking about the O-Line moving defenders and opening up holes, not about individual rushing performances.'

There was some chatter after that game that Grimes had taken it upon himself to re-motivate the O-Line after the crushing loss at BSU (where the O-Line had not played particularly well) as a lot of the team was tempted to throw in the towel on the season. Supposedly Grimes had told Crowton leading up to the CSU game that they would rush the ball for 200 yards if given enough chances.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I don't think Roderick ends up on the staff.

I posted in the other thread but I think:

Paul Peterson as qb coach
              Fesi Sitake as WR coach
              Quinton Ganther as RB coach
              and both Clark and Empey are retained.

I could also see Grimes bringing in one of his own guys. If Roderick gets his EE he can slide to WR coach and Fesi to RB coach.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post

Fesi Sitake as WR coach

I could also see Grimes bringing in one of his own guys. If Roderick gets his EE he can slide to WR coach and Fesi to RB coach.
                Wow. That one kind of seems like a surprise. You like that hire?

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  I know we had a solid run with Grimes under Bronco, but my favorite Grimes memory comes from a game during his year with Crowton. BYU was playing at Colorado State, who had completely destroyed us for the previous two years. Crowton's fate had been sealed a week before with an awful loss at Boise State (still makes me mad). CSU was not good that year, but it was also a year when any road game was a probable loss. Rather than the regular mix of Crowton gadgets, end arounds, bubble screens, etc. BYU went to Fort Collins and pounded the effing rock. BYU rushed for over 200 yards, and Tahi and Brown averaged nearly 7 yards per carry, despite the fact that neither had a run longer than 20 yards. I was listening to the game on the radio as we were driving back to Provo from St. George, and I distinctly remember Greg Wrubell commenting on the huge holes being opened up by the BYU O-Line. At one point he said something like "I don't think we've seen BYU be able to pound the ball like this as a team since the 1996 Cotton Bowl team." Lyons, in the way only he can do, points out how quickly Wrubell has forgotten the 2001 Doman-Staley team. I think Wrubell was expecting this, and practically cut Lyons off to explain how he was talking about the O-Line moving defenders and opening up holes, not about individual rushing performances.'

There was some chatter after that game that Grimes had taken it upon himself to re-motivate the O-Line after the crushing loss at BSU (where the O-Line had not played particularly well) as a lot of the team was tempted to throw in the towel on the season. Supposedly Grimes had told Crowton leading up to the CSU game that they would rush the ball for 200 yards if given enough chances.
                  Wasn't that the year that, following the loss to BSU, they put a converted DL in as lead full-back for the next couple of games against CSU and Wyoming? Maybe even the rest of the season. Not every down - he seemed to tire quickly - but he was a wrecking ball for the downs he was in. Ended up transferring to Weber St. or something I think, and never did play DL at BYU.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post

Fesi Sitake as WR coach

(Pulled from the other thread as well)

Paul Peterson: BYU GA in 2006. OL Coach: Jeff Grimes
                    Mike Empey: BYU TE coach 2004-2005. OL Coach: Jeff Grimes (You think TEs and OL work closely together?)
                    Steve Clark: BYU GA in 2005-2007. OL Coach: Jeff Grimes (Clark worked closely with the OL during his time there)

I do think each of those guys are likely on staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      Wasn't that the year that, following the loss to BSU, they put a converted DL in as lead full-back for the next couple of games against CSU and Wyoming? Maybe even the rest of the season. Not every down - he seemed to tire quickly - but he was a wrecking ball for the downs he was in. Ended up transferring to Weber St. or something I think, and never did play DL at BYU.
                      The original Mo!

Moa Peaux was his name.
                      https://byucougars.com/athlete/football/8421/Moa-Peaua
                      Last edited by Sizzle; 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        I remember Joe Semanoff being a wrecking ball. But I think he was a bit later in the Grimes era. And I don't remember him transferring.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          I remember Joe Semanoff being a wrecking ball. But I think he was a bit later in the Grimes era. And I don't remember him transferring.

This guy. I don't think he ever had a carry but he was a decent lead blocker. Went to the same HS as KVN just a decade earlier.
                          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                            The original Mo!

Moa Peaux was his name.
                            Mo is exactly who I was thinking of. He was awesome for 2-3 games? Seemed short lived, but he definitely moved the DL when he was in there.

Comment

Initial reaction is mildly pleased. Ten years ago, I thought we were about the 30th best football program in the nation. I think Grimes probably wouldn't get an OC job with a top 50 program right now. So based on that standard, it's not a thrilling hire. But we're not the same program we were 10 years ago. Based on all the rumors of who we were looking at, it seems like a great hire. I feel better about him than I did when Ty was announced. I still would take Anae. I hope he can put together a good staff.

Comment

Working...
                              X