Army navy game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army navy game

Who watched it? I saw a few minutes of it when we went to get an Andy cow that almost ran over someone near 80. In mountains of Central Blaine County were there is no cell service and I went ahead of the people on horses in pickup. Went back and followed them until we found a gate. Could of helped someone preg check cattle and maybe in bar in stinky town seen more of the game. Watched it in someone's home. Army won last couple years. I wonder how military academies can get competitive athletes considering there strict requirements. That said you have to be athletic to get there in the first place.

I would not mind on bucket list actually attending an army navy game in person. Fun to watch I think.

Originally posted by grapevine View Post
    Who watched it? I saw a few minutes of it when we went to get an Andy cow that almost ran over someone near 80. In mountains of Central Blaine County were there is no cell service and I went ahead of the people on horses in pickup. Went back and followed them until we found a gate. Could of helped someone preg check cattle and maybe in bar in stinky town seen more of the game. Watched it in someone's home. Army won last couple years. I wonder how military academies can get competitive athletes considering there strict requirements. That said you have to be athletic to get there in the first place.

I would not mind on bucket list actually attending an army navy game in person. Fun to watch I think.
    It is the greatest amateur athletic event in the world.

Coach Jeff Monken should be in the conversation for COY awards. He has done fabulous work but the truth is the current Superintendent is a former Army football player and the Academy has finally allowed some of the concessions to the football program that coaches have been asking for since I was a cadet. LTG Caslen has created an environment for Coach Monken to be successful that did not previously exist. My understanding is the reason Bobby Ross retired early from Army was because he got tired of fighting with one hand tied behind his back versus USAFA and USNA.

The Black Knights get SDSU in their bowl game, that puts Rashaad Penny and Army qb Ahmad Bradshaw, the #1 and #5 rushing leaders in the NCAA squaring off against each other.

Yesterday was heaven for me. CIC Trophy, two in a row against Navy and a chance at a 10 win season. First Monken brought good football to Army then he brought a legitimately good football team. When the kick went wide left, I screamed out "IT IS OVER!" I was at a Rockland HS boys hoop game in Arco (against the mighty Butt(e) Pirates) and it was during a time out with about 2 to go in the 1st quarter. Then I crumpled to my seat exhausted from the emotional investment of the past couple of hours - specifically the last 8 minutes of the game. To see my classmates on facebook celebrating and watching the Corps, the Team and the Long Gray Line singing our Alma Mater second for the second straight year after a 14 year journey through the wilderness. Precious. Watching the video of the Team singing "On Brave Old Army Team" in the lockerroom. Wow - what a day for my ilk. It is the purest rivalry on the earth. Nothing will ever compare. Better yet, it is a rivalry once again.

Now for those who watched I hope you enjoyed the uniforms. Army's recognized the 10th MTN Division - a leading unit whose daring fighting in the worst of mountain terrain was crucial to victory in WW II. The unit got 3 Unit Citations, numerous battle streamers and one Soldier was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Trully how fitting for the white uniforms to be so well camouflaged in the snow as that is what the 10th MTN Division sought for during winter fighting in WW II. The Navy uniforms were for the Blue Angels. They are a glorified cheerleading unit that has no battle streamers and whose main job is to give eye candy sideline reporters a rush by flying them fast in a Naval fighter jet.

Mama's you want your babies to be led in battle by men and women from units who get citations and battle streamers not glorified cheerleading units. That is why it ended 14-13.

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

That was a fun game to watch and, despite being raised by a devout Navy man, I was cheering for Army and GN's happiness. But I must note an FB post from a kid for whom I served as Obispo during his wild teenage years--no one was more stunned than I when he enlisted in (and was accepted by) the Army, where he's served the past 20+ years with distinction, and multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Today's post reads: No matter who wins the Army-Navy game the truth is this--the only ones who lose are the enlisted men and women who have to deal with academy grads.

Comment

I recorded it and have watched parts of it.

As a side note to the 10th Mountain - Sen Bob Dole is an alumnus. He fought with them as an Infantry Platoon Leader in WW II. He was severely wounded and permanently disabled - one of his arms doesn't work.

The modern version of the 10th hasn't been around that long. It was reactivated when I was on active duty in the mid 80s. The army reorganized the divisions and found enough extra men to activate 2 extra infantry divisions. The 10th was one of them.

On a personal note, the 10th is stationed at Ft. Drum in upstate NY. My unit did winter training there in January/February 1984 and the first night we went into the field, Watertown NY was the coldest spot in the continental US, -43 Degrees F. That night I had to make an open air jeep ride back to the cantonment area. It was so cold the radio antenna cables were freezing the wind was causing the to snap in half and I had to get replacement cables. I have never been so cold before or since! One other problem is everything was heated by coal and nobody could keep the coal fires going. Quite frankly we spent most of the time in the field scavenging for wood to burn.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Today's post reads: No matter who wins the Army-Navy game the truth is this--the only ones who lose are the enlisted men and women who have to deal with academy grads.

My very first interaction with a West Point cadet was in Basic Training. He threw a fit when I only said "Good morning, cadet," instead of saluting him. After letting him rant I explained that we were instructed not to salute cadets. He sure was mad, but nothing he could do.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            That was a fun game to watch and, despite being raised by a devout Navy man, I was cheering for Army and GN's happiness. But I must note an FB post from a kid for whom I served as Obispo during his wild teenage years--no one was more stunned than I when he enlisted in (and was accepted by) the Army, where he's served the past 20+ years with distinction, and multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Today's post reads: No matter who wins the Army-Navy game the truth is this--the only ones who lose are the enlisted men and women who have to deal with academy grads.
            FWIW, the finest 2 Lts I knew in my time in the service were academy grads. Also one of the worst.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
            X