Men's Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Volleyball 2018

Alright, it's time for the men's season where at least the team still has pipe royalty (I'm assuming Tayler Sander is still considered the king of the pipe). Definitely some questions marks at the beginning of this season. BYU has to replace the following:

1. Opposite: have to replace both Patch and Dobbert. A big hole here. BYU recruited a couple of opposites. It seems like Gabi Garcia Fernandez has the most buzz, but I don't know anything about him.

2. One outside hitter: Jake Langlois is gone. It will be interesting to see what Olmstead does here. Storm got the most playing time at OH last season of anybody returning outside of Brendan Sander. Storm's athletic, serves well, and passes well for a BYU OH. He is also undersized and didn't light the world on fire with his hitting last year (but he was also recently returned from one of those mission trip things). Does Olmstead go with Storm, or a bigger OH that maybe complements Sander better?

3. MB: Grosch. Obviously, Price Jarmin is expected to once again anchor the other MB slot. BYU probably ends up being better here. Miki played a lot as a Freshman, and I though by the end of the season he was a good as Grosch. BYU also brought in Felipe de Brito Ferreira, a 6-9 MB from Brazil.

Other positions to watch: I think setter. Does Stanley replace Leo?

Preseason rankings are out. BYU clocks in at #3:

Last edited by pelagius; 12-08-2017, 10:40 PM.

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    Alright, it's time for the men's season. Definitely some questions marks at the beginning of this season. BYU has to replace the following:

1. Opposite: have to replace both Patch and Dobbert. A big hole here. BYU recruited a couple of opposites. It seems like Gabi Garcia Fernandez has the most buzz, but I don't know anything about him.

2. One outside hitter: Jake Langlois is gone. It will be interesting to see what Olmstead does here. Storm got the most playing time at OH last season of anybody returning outside of Brendan Sander. Storm's athletic, serves well, and passes well for a BYU OH. He is also undersized and didn't light the world on fire with his hitting last year (but he was also recently returned from one of those mission trip things). Does Olmstead go with Storm, or a bigger OH that maybe complements Sander better?

3. MB: Grosch. Obviously, Price Jarmin is expected to once again anchor the other MB slot. BYU probably ends up being better here. Miki played a lot as a Freshman, and I though by the end of the season he was a good as Grosch. BYU also brought in Felipe de Brito Ferreira, a 6-9 MB from Brazil.

Other things position to watch: I think setter. Does Stanley replace Leo?

Preseason rankings are out. BYU clocks at #3:

Good write up.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

First match is tonight.

As always, pretty fluffy interview with the BYU sports nation guys but Olmstead does confirm that Garcia Fernandez is the new starter at opposite. Excited to see him play:

[YOUTUBE]DWt4BcJlr24[/YOUTUBE]
      Last edited by pelagius; 01-05-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

First match is tonight.

As always, pretty fluffy interview with the BYU sports nation guys but Olmstead does confirm that Garcia is the new starter at opposite. Excited to see him play:
        Can't wait. We will be there tonight!
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

First match is tonight.

As always, pretty fluffy interview with the BYU sports nation guys but Olmstead does confirm that Garcia Fernandez is the new starter at opposite. Excited to see him play:

[YOUTUBE]DWt4BcJlr24[/YOUTUBE]
          I read an analysis saying BYU will be shorter but quicker. How will that fare against Ohio State, whom I see BYU plays in season, and Long Beach State?

BYU hasn't had an answer for the Buckeyes.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
            I read an analysis saying BYU will be shorter but quicker.
            Well, BYU was super tall last year. It would hard for that not to be true. Langlois was 6-10 at one of the OH spots and Dobbert/Patch were both like 6-9. The question of whether BYU is really that much shorter this year revolves around who they replace Langlois with? If it's Storm, then yes BYU will be much shorter.

Comment

Well, BYU was super tall last year. It would hard for that not to be true. Langlois was 6-10 at one of the OH spots and Dobbert/Patch were both like 6-9. The question of whether BYU is really that much shorter this year revolves around who they replace Langlois with? If it's Storm, then yes BYU will be much shorter.
              I really don't remember why BYU couldn't defeat Ohio State, but it had something to do with service and passing efficiency. Are those skills that will be diminished, the same and improved with this team. Realizing you haven't seen the team play but using your speculative powers what do you believe?

Comment

I really don't remember why BYU couldn't defeat Ohio State, but it had something to do with service and passing efficiency. Are those skills that will be diminished, the same and improved with this team. Realizing you haven't seen the team play but using your speculative powers what do you believe?
                Passing ... Passing ... Passing. BYU was good to great at other facets of the game. But they've been a below average passing team the last few years (at least benchmarked relative to other elite teams). Ohio State has been the best serving team in the country the last few years. It's just hasn't been a great match up for BYU. Will BYU be a significantly better passing team? I don't know. Same libero. I think Sykes has to cover more territory. We'll see. I thought Storm was a pretty good passer last year so if he's full time at OH it could help some but I think they real key is Sykes.

Also, I think Leo is a good but not great setter. I generally view it as a good sign for the season if Stanley gets most of the time at setter (Stanley also gives you more as a server).

For Storm, here is what I would say:

1. Good serving but he's replacing Langlois who I thought was the team's best server last year.

2. I think he will be a better passer than Langlois.

3. Storm struggled hitting at the left pin last year a bit. Can he be good enough from the pins? Close to 0.300 hitting pct?

4. Like Sander, he is very athletic. If the OH are Sander and Storm, I expect BYU to utilize the pipe attack a lot.
                Last edited by pelagius; 01-05-2018, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Passing ... Passing ... Passing. BYU was good to great at other facets of the game. But they've been a below average passing team the last few years (at least benchmarked relative to other elite teams). Ohio State has been the best serving team in the country the last few years. It's just hasn't been a great match up for BYU. Will BYU be a significantly better passing team? I don't know. Same libero. I think Sykes has to cover more territory. We'll see. I thought Storm was a pretty good passer last year so if he's full time at OH it could help some but I think they real key is Sykes.

Also, I think Leo is a good but not great setter. I generally view it as a good sign for the season if Stanley gets most of the time at setter (Stanley also gives you more as a server).

For Storm, here is what I would say:

1. Good serving but he's replacing Langlois who I thought was the team's best server last year.

2. I think he will be a better passer than Langlois.

3. Storm struggled hitting at the left pin last year a bit. Can he be good enough from the pins? Close to 0.300 hitting pct?

4. Like Sander, he is very athletic. If the OH are Sander and Storm, I expect BYU to utilize the pipe attack a lot.
                  Thanks. Is there anything in the approach that BYU is employing that affects its passing efficiency, or is it simply a matter of the skills of BYU's players?

And "pipe attack", does that mean down the center or from the pins?

Comment

Thanks. Is there anything in the approach that BYU is employing that affects its passing efficiency, or is it simply a matter of the skills of BYU's players?

And "pipe attack", does that mean down the center or from the pins?
                    Middle out of the back row.

Comment

I'm not the one to ask about that; Probably Killer-dog or Surfah can answer that question better than me. I do think one important aspect of the issue is lack of an elite libero.

Comment

Alright, it's time for the men's season where at least the team still has pipe royalty (I'm assuming Tayler Sander is still considered the king of the pipe). Definitely some questions marks at the beginning of this season. BYU has to replace the following:

Rightly so. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          Rightly so. Wow!
                          Yeah, he's a beast. Don't think the setter timing/placement with him is quite there but, yeah.

Comment

Gabi is a beast. Future all-american.

We have a lot of things to fix. Our passing was terrible at times. 7 aces, but tons of serves into the net.

Disappointed with Storm. Had some nice kills, but waaaay too many errors. I think he lost the match for us. At least 4 errors in set 5 alone.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Pretty good match tonight against a good Lewis team. Hitting percentage was about 125-150 points higher. I think some of what we saw last night is that Loyola's kind of a bad match up for BYU (although BYU should have still beat them). Loyola's middles are just really good; particularly Jendryk (started for the USA in the world league this year). BYU's offense is pretty deliberate and powerful, and those middles just ate our boys up at times (or at least enough).

Still, interested to see if BYU incorporates Cyrus Fa'alogo at OH when he becomes eligible. Storm had a nice hitting night, though.
                              Last edited by pelagius; 01-06-2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X