No announcement yet.

Men's Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BYU beat #13 ranked Ball State 3-1. Thought it was decent performance by BYU. Garcia Fernandez and Sander looked good, and so did the middles (particularly Miki). Storm struggled at the pins; lots of hitting errors. He did serve and pass reasonably well.

Still, I think the most important development was Olmstead replaced Sykes (Libero) at the end of the second set with Zach Hendrickson (A freshman kid from Kentucky). He played well enough that I hoping Olmstead sends him back out there against Ohio State tomorrow.
    Last edited by pelagius; 01-12-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      BYU beat #13 ranked Ball State 3-1. Thought it was decent performance by BYU. Garcia Fernandez and Sander looked good, and so did the middles (particularly Miki). Storm struggled at the pins; lots of hitting errors. He did serve and pass reasonably well.

Still, I think the most important development was Olmstead replaced Sykes (Libero) at the end of the second set with Zach Hendrickson (A freshman kid from Kentucky). He played well enough that I hoping Olmstead sends him back out there against Ohio State tomorrow.
      This match will show how much BYU has to improve on throughout the season. Long Beach State is favored by some over BYU to win the conference, so I wonder if BYU will be improved enough to compete with LBS. Should be an interesting match against two time defending national champs.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
        This match will show how much BYU has to improve on throughout the season. Long Beach State is favored by some over BYU to win the conference, so I wonder if BYU will be improved enough to compete with LBS. Should be an interesting match against two time defending national champs.
        Pretty sure Long Beach State and BYU are not in the same conference.

Comment

Pretty sure Long Beach State and BYU are not in the same conference.
          Aren't they both in the Mountain Pacific League? Nope. They changed this year to the Big West Conference. So the league split up this year. Do you know why?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Aren't they both in the Mountain Pacific League? Nope. They changed this year to the Big West Conference. So the league split up this year. Do you know why?
            Two new big west teams added volleyball for the 18 season. The big west teams in aggregate basically had enough teams by themselves to be a conference. So they decided to break off because there would be a new league with their own autobid to the tourney. Also, everyone hoped a new conference overall given it brought some new additions to NCAA volleyball would get the NCAA to expand the tourney (which I believe is also happening).
            Last edited by pelagius; 01-13-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Two new big west teams added volleyball for the 18 season. The big west teams in aggregate basically had enough teams by themselves to be a conference. So they decided to break off because there would be a new league with their own autobid to the tourney. Also, everyone hoped a new conference overall given it brought some new additions to NCAA volleyball would get the NCAA to expand the tourney (which I believe is also happening).
              Interesting. As big as it was, the MPSF usually received two of the four bids. So I wonder how it will shake it out in the future.

Comment

Interesting. As big as it was, the MPSF usually received two of the four bids. So I wonder how it will shake it out in the future.
                Six, with 4 auto-bids for the conferences champions. MPSF typically got 2-3 bids. The one autobid and then either one or both of the non-autos. Last year MPSF got BYU, Long Beach St, and Hawaii. I believe expansion will take it to 8. Now, the top 3 conferences are pretty close to parity: big west, miva, and mpsf.

Comment

BYU competing well tonight in Columbus.

Comment

Wow, got to find a way to watch a replay.

Comment

Cougs get the upset in 5.

Comment

Wow, got to find a way to watch a replay.
                        First time, they've figured out OSU in a long time. Well done!

Comment

First time, they've figured out OSU in a long time. Well done!
                          Watching the replay now (it costs to watch it). My initial impression is that OSU is just not as good as the last couple of years. Sure, still top 5 (I think they still win the MIVA). That said, we are passing well. Well enough that we are able to stay in system a lot and set the middles. Olmstead went to Lincoln at OH in the second set. He does help with block, and passes pretty well.h
                          Last edited by pelagius; 01-13-2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

My summary: BYU passed well with a few important lapses in set 1 and then set 4. The lapses cost the boys, but they were consistent enough to take the match and mostly kept Nick Szerszen in check (he probably had a few more errors on the serve than he usually does so maybe BYU got a little lucky over that one dimension). Also, the middles really did dominate. Combined, they had 14 kills and hit 0.700. Both Price and Miki (Gabi deserves a lot of the credit too because he's a good blocker) were just too much for OSU. 12 to 3 on the blocks overall, lots of soft blocks, and I thought the boys really affected OSU hitting angles (especially in set 5). I think the switch to Andrew Lincoln at OH for Storm helped with this aspect of the game too.
                            Last edited by pelagius; 01-13-2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Another note; byu went big and without a setter a couple of times (and not at the last point of the set). It actually worked pretty well. Clearly, the coaching staff saw something. Nice little adjustment that payed off
                              Last edited by pelagius; 01-14-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Seem's right; he had a nice weekend:

I would add: (1) I was encouraged by what he showed on his serve. In the first two games we only saw heat/fastball and despite the amazing velocity it didn't really get Loyola or Lewis out of system very much (to his credit he got it in pretty consistently). But last week we saw more variety including the occasional use of a nice slightly off speed serve with a lot of spin on it. It made him very effective from the serving line. (2) He just seemed more fluid overall. Against Loyola he seemed a unsure about digging stuff, etc. Looks like that's cleared up and in my view he digs pretty well for an opposite.
                                Last edited by pelagius; 01-15-2018, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X