Gay Wedding Cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Can I, as a Christian baker, refuse to bake a cake for a Satanist that wants me to put a mangled Jesus on a cross on the cake for his anti-christ commitment ceremony?
    According to funk, yes, because the Satanist is not a protected class.

Comment

• Seems like really bad luck this gay couple would pick a wedding cake baker who was straight, what are the odds. Good thing you couldn't make that same mistake picking a florist.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
        Seems like really bad luck this gay couple would pick a wedding cake baker who was straight, what are the odds. Good thing you couldn't make that same mistake picking a florist.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          Seems like really bad luck this gay couple would pick a wedding cake baker who was straight, what are the odds. Good thing you couldn't make that same mistake picking a florist.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
            No. It is not a protected class and shouldn't be a protected class. You aren't born a racist piece of shit that is definitely a decision.
            OK, smart guy. What if the two KKK members are lesbians and the cake is for their gay wedding?

Checkmate!
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
              For those so inclined, here's the transcript of the argument.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_ar...6-111_f314.pdf
              Thanks. What stood out to me:

Where to draw the line between protected speech and anti-discrimination - the baker, the florist, the hairstylist, the makeup artist, the tailor, writing vows, etc.

Justice Breyer seemed much more open to compromise than I would have expected.

The court seemed pretty disgusted with the two commissioners that had expressed a potential bias against religion.

This snippet from Justice Alito (starting on page 58) indicating that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission may have based its enforcement of the law on viewpoint:

The -- the Commission had before it

the example of three complaints filed by an

individual whose creed includes the traditional

Judeo-Christian opposition to same-sex

marriage, and he requested cakes that expressed

that point of view, and those -- there were

bakers who said no, we won't do that because it

is offensive.

And the Commission said: That's okay.

It's okay for a baker who supports same-sex

marriage to refuse to create a cake with a

message that is opposed to same-sex marriage.

But when the tables are turned and you have the

baker who opposes same-sex marriage, that baker

may be compelled to create a cake that

expresses approval of same-sex marriage.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                OK, smart guy. What if the two KKK members are lesbians and the cake is for their gay wedding?

Checkmate!
                Is the cake lesbian marriage themed, KKK themed, or both?
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  What a boring ass thread. Yawn.
                  I completely agree. Unlike the gay marriage cases which I followed ravenously, this one seems like it was manufactured in a factory co-owned by Fox news and cnbc. I won't cry tears if the gays have to select a non-homophobic baker (that way they avoid the threat of poisoning), nor will I be shaken up at the prospect of a religious baker who believes that same sex baked goods are of the devil being asked to provide a cake to gays. So much ado about nothing.

Comment

Can I, as a Christian baker, refuse to bake a cake for a Satanist that wants me to put a mangled Jesus on a cross on the cake for his anti-christ commitment ceremony?
                    From Mr. Yarger, Solicitor General from Colorado (page 60):

MR. YARGER: -- yes -- yes, Your

Honor -- is decide that he won't sell somebody

a product that he would otherwise sell because

in his view the identity of the customer

changes the message.
                    I believe Colorado's position would be that if the Christian baker creates mangled Jesus cakes for others, then he would be required to sell the same cake to the Satanist (if Satanist can be included in one of the protected classes).
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• One interesting bit from the argument that I didn't appreciate before was that the baker is not objecting to selling the gay couple anything from his store. He was apparently willing to sell them anything that was pre-made. He only objected to making a custom cake for them that included images and messaging that they provided to him. That is where the "compelled speech" issue comes from, and makes this case a bit more interesting.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Is the cake lesbian marriage themed, KKK themed, or both?
                        Both. With a portrait of Ken Burns in the middle. Drinking Starbucks coffee.

Comment

One interesting bit from the argument that I didn't appreciate before was that the baker is not objecting to selling the gay couple anything from his store. He was apparently willing to sell them anything that was pre-made. He only objected to making a custom cake for them that included images and messaging that they provided to him. That is where the "compelled speech" issue comes from, and makes this case a bit more interesting.
                          If he refused to sell them pre-made items from his bakery this case wouldn't be at the Supreme Court. It would be an open/shut case of discrimination based both on federal law and state law. A bakery is specifically listed as a public accommodation under federal law.

It isn't an interesting bit at all. It is something that any business owner that hates homosexuals has to do. Not necessarily saying this guy hates homosexuals, but there is a damn good chance that he does.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                            I completely agree. Unlike the gay marriage cases which I followed ravenously, this one seems like it was manufactured in a factory co-owned by Fox news and cnbc. I won't cry tears if the gays have to select a non-homophobic baker (that way they avoid the threat of poisoning), nor will I be shaken up at the prospect of a religious baker who believes that same sex baked goods are of the devil being asked to provide a cake to gays. So much ado about nothing.
                            It's kind of funny how frequently you mock conversations here. But you keep coming back!

Comment

If he refused to sell them pre-made items from his bakery this case wouldn't be at the Supreme Court. It would be an open/shut case of discrimination based both on federal law and state law. A bakery is specifically listed as a public accommodation under federal law.

It isn't an interesting bit at all. It is something that any business owner that hates homosexuals has to do. Not necessarily saying this guy hates homosexuals, but there is a damn good chance that he does.
                              Well, it might. Lawyers are actually very creative! Someone could have created an argument triggering a different constitutional issue. Don't act like you know all the possible permutations here!
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I am not necessarily saying that you are an anti-religious bigot, but there is a damn good chance you are!

(see how productive this is?)
                                Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 12-05-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X