No announcement yet.

The Official 2017-18 Bowl Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The inescapable and obvious conclusion that you come to when looking at the last 30 years of college football is that the region of the country stretching from Texas through the south to the Atlantic coast around the Carolinas and Virginia is absolutely dominating. The region dictates national championships even more than conference affiliation -- from the 88 through 17 seasons, Miami and Florida State alone have 5.5 championships. And that's not cherry picking stats, if I were to expand it to 35 seasons then that figure would be 7.5 championships because Miami won it all in 83 and 87.

For the sake of these stats, I am going to dispense with the fiction that LSU was the national champion in 2003 -- they weren't and everyone knows it. I will also say that Oklahoma is basically an appendage of Texas.

Champions by conference:

SEC: 12 (including 2017)
    Big 8/Big 12: 5
    ACC: 4.5
    Big 10: 2.5
    Pac 10: 2.5
    Big East: 1.5
    Independent: 2

By region:
    Texas and the South: 21
    Midwest: 6
    West (Colorado to the West Coast): 3

If you look at just the past 20 seasons then we're talking about a ratio of 16 (southern) to 4 (two west, two midwest).
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      I hate that Alabama made the CFP without winning their conference but nobody was beating that team last night.
      Why does the fact they didn't win their conference bother you? The only thing that the committee should be concerned with is picking the four best teams with the regular season record holding some veto power, like it does in the NFL. The 13-3 Pats get the #1 seed over the 13-3 Steelers because of the result between them, but the Steelers would have the #1 seed had they gone 14-2 and also lost to the Pats.

On top of that, I'm not sure if Ohio State beating Penn State by one point in Columbus necessarily proves they're a better team, but that's another veto that we accept. A narrow victory head to head even when the venue heavily favors you is an absolute tiebreaker.

Waaaaay down that list of vetoes/tiebreakers should be a conference championship, particularly because you have these anomalies within a conference division when only one less can cause you to not even win your division. By virtue of the committee letting in 2016 Ohio State and 2017 Alabama, apparently they agree with me.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• SO given all the handwringing about the committee's picks, are any of you of the mind that we would be better off with the old bowl system where we just voted on the champion, leaving a school like UCF (or BYU in 1984) with a chance to win?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          SO given all the handwringing about the committee's picks, are any of you of the mind that we would be better off with the old bowl system where we just voted on the champion, leaving a school like UCF (or BYU in 1984) with a chance to win?
          BYU would have gone to a playoff in 1984, a lot of things lined up for what happened. It was also a culmination of BYU winning big games for several years prior to 1984. Prior to the CFP, there were other schools like UCF that finished the year undefeated that didn't come close to the national title. One of them even had a parade celebrating its "national championship."

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
            BYU would have gone to a playoff in 1984, a lot of things lined up for what happened. It was also a culmination of BYU winning big games for several years prior to 1984. Prior to the CFP, there were other schools like UCF that finished the year undefeated that didn't come close to the national title. One of them even had a parade celebrating its "national championship."
            OK, I shouldnt have used the BYU example. But the question remains, given the complaints about the committee, is the pre-CFP approach more desireable? I don't think so.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• the committee rankings are just a joke. UCF has 3 wins that are as good or better than wisconsins best win. but wisconsin was 6 and ucf was 12.

I am sure UCF, at worst, couldve managed to lose to OSU as well as Wisky

Comment

• ucf didn’t get their asses tattooed, as it were, by iowa. so they’re missing that quality loss
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  ucf didn’t get their asses tattooed, as it were, by iowa. so they’re missing that quality loss
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    SO given all the handwringing about the committee's picks, are any of you of the mind that we would be better off with the old bowl system where we just voted on the champion, leaving a school like UCF (or BYU in 1984) with a chance to win?
                    I was not a fan of the transition to a playoff system. But I said at the time, and I still maintain today, that if they're going to bother with a playoff, they might as well do it right, with an eight-team field consisting of the five power-conference champions plus the highest ranked non-power school and two wild cards.

Comment

• And also, I super totally understand all the hoopla about the Rose Bowl now. I mean where else do you get to park in a sand bunker and walk a mile and a half uphill just to hold your bladder for five hours because there are only four bathrooms for 120,000 people. (The latter feat is made easier by the fact that there are also only four concession stands.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        I was not a fan of the transition to a playoff system. But I said at the time, and I still maintain today, that if they're going to bother with a playoff, they might as well do it right, with an eight-team field consisting of the five power-conference champions plus the highest ranked non-power school and two wild cards.
                        Well hello stranger. We miss you around these parts.

Comment

Babs! Great to hear from you.

Hey, I was totally cheering for the Sooners on this one. Can't believe they let it slip away. Crazy to do the squib kick at the half and then way too conservative down the stretch.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            Well hello stranger. We miss you around these parts.
                            Thanks. As i watched my team postpone the inevitable in the fourth quarter and the two overtimes, I found myself wondering who would post "Choke-lahoma" first. (I should have known it would be JL, who will no doubt be thrilled to hear that both of my boys have turned into Longhorn fans.)

Comment

Thanks. As i watched my team postpone the inevitable in the fourth quarter and the two overtimes, I found myself wondering who would post "Choke-lahoma" first. (I should have known it would be JL, who will no doubt be thrilled to hear that both of my boys have turned into Longhorn fans.)
                              Ha. That is great. How old are they now?
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Ha. That is great. How old are they now?
                                Jeff Gordon is a senior and his brother is a junior. AND NO THEY ARE NOT GOING TO TEXAS.

Comment

Working...
                                X